Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I wire bike after replacing break lights with single light on a 2012 sporster

Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 PM
Matthew Wallace
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I wire bike after replacing break lights with single light on a 2012 sporster

I have a 2012 Sporster 48. I removed the rear tail lights and license plate lights and I'm running a single Ford Duo break light. http://campl.us/rqN4

The stock lights run three wires. Blue, purple and black. My understanding from reading other posts is the blue wire is the run light so I wired that to the run light on the new tail light and it works just fine. Also from reading other posts my understanding is that purple is the blinker and break light. I tried wiring that up to the new lights other wire and that had no effect. pushing on the break doesn't work and also trying out the blinker doesn't work either.

On top of all that now my front blinkers do not work when signaling, horn doesn't work and my fuel light isn't working.

wondering if anyone has had any experience switching out the rear lights for a single light like this and can help me figure out what I need to do.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:55 PM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i ended up tapping the rear brake switch wire, red/yellow as my brake light wire on my single light setup. no matter how i tried to wire it, it wouldnt work, because the wires going to your rear signals, double as your turn signals and brake lights. you need a dedicated brake light wire, otherwise when you hit a turn signal, your brake will flash.

but yea, i tapped the rear brake switch wire, and used the license plate illumination with for my running light source.

sounds like you may have blown a fuse....the wires dont like being played with while the bike is on or in accessory...turn the key off, rewire, then back on...rinse and repeat!

also, get a hold of the shop manual....very valuable resource!
wiring diagram: https://i.imgur.com/KNakm6S.png
mods, please remove if this is frowned upon....

Last edited by gar187er; 07-22-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Matthew Wallace
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gar187er
i ended up tapping the rear brake switch wire, red/yellow as my brake light wire on my single light setup. no matter how i tried to wire it, it wouldnt work, because the wires going to your rear signals, double as your turn signals and brake lights. you need a dedicated brake light wire, otherwise when you hit a turn signal, your brake will flash.

but yea, i tapped the rear brake switch wire, and used the license plate illumination with for my running light source.

sounds like you may have blown a fuse....the wires dont like being played with while the bike is on or in accessory...turn the key off, rewire, then back on...rinse and repeat!

also, get a hold of the shop manual....very valuable resource!
wiring diagram: https://i.imgur.com/KNakm6S.png
mods, please remove if this is frowned upon....
Thanks for the advice! I've read some posts about tapping the main brake wire. I'm guessing that's the best way to go.

As for the other stuff not working. Did you experience anything else not working and if so how did you fix ?

Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,467 Likes on 4,598 Posts

Blue is running light.
Purple is left turn signal.
Brown is right turn signal.
Yellow/Red is brake light.

You asked for help, now here`s some unsolicited advice:

Don`t lay another wrench or wire cutter to that bike until you have a service manual on hand.

It`s the most important accessory there is.

You don`t have to be a pro to work like a pro.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-22-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:29 PM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Wallace
Thanks for the advice! I've read some posts about tapping the main brake wire. I'm guessing that's the best way to go.

As for the other stuff not working. Did you experience anything else not working and if so how did you fix ?
i replaced the fuse. but you may have butchered your wiring, so who knows