Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XiED or Fuelpak tuner..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Andres86
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XiED or Fuelpak tuner..?

Hello to all,

I haven't officially introduced myself, I never really believed in doing so.. But, a little information about my self/ride.. I currently own a 2013 Iron883, I've owned it for a year and have almost put 10k miles on it. I've done some mods here and there but its mostly cosmetic (1" homemade tank lift, turn signal relo, 1k service, 5k service, stage 1 HD a/c) nothing performance wise until now.. I recently bought the V&H short shots, so since I have the HD stage 1 a/c I know I will need a tuner or XiED's in order for my bike to run smoothly. Today a friend of mine who is a HD technician tell me not to waste my money on the fuelpak (which was what I was planning to get, tuner wise) but to checkout nightrider (not trying to spam) and to check out the XiEd's because they are much better (just plug and play type of deal) because there is no mapping that needs to be done which can be a pain in the *** to do. So my question to you fellas is.. What do you recommend? I've browsed HDF for years now and always see the word XiED's, but never really looked into it.. I just need to make up my mind which way to go.. Thanks in advance

Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

if you plan to do more mods go with a tuner if u can afford it ..

if not the xieds will work just fine for you

Old 08-07-2014, 06:31 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome! Between your two choices, I would recommend the XiED's. They're an inexpensive and completely foolproof way of increasing your engines A/F ratio to a level that will most certainly improve the way it runs when combined with your exhaust and intake mods. They operate by using a resistor between each O² sensor and the bikes ECM to artificially lower this signal, therefore "tricking" the ECM into thinking the engine requires more fuel, which it therefore obliges. The benefits of a proper A/F ratio are reduced engine and exhaust temperatures, a snappier throttle response, and sometimes reduced decell popping with drag pipes.

By contrast, the Fool, I mean Fuel Pak has been about the most problematic of the low end tuners reported out there, though there are a number of people who swear by them. Sorta' like the 1958 Edsel; most dispised them though there were a handful who had them in their garage ;O)

=8^)

Last edited by DrewBone; 08-07-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: two korrekt spellink
Old 08-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Krieg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip the Xied's and Fuelpak, save your money, then buy a real tuner. You get what you pay for. And, until you know what a real tune feels like, you'll think the cheap-o **** is wonderful.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 PM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,387 Likes on 516 Posts

Stay away from the FuelPak. Never worked well on my bike. The Xied's are a good option. They improved the bike a bit but I had better results with the Micro EFI from FuelMoto.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/micro-efi-tuner.html

Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Krieg
Skip the Xied's and Fuelpak, save your money, then buy a real tuner. You get what you pay for. And, until you know what a real tune feels like, you'll think the cheap-o **** is wonderful.
^^ This would normally be my recommendation as well, suggesting the Power Vision tuner to everyone on the planet, but the gentleman asked specifically for opinions between the XiED's and the Fuel Pak.

Over the years I've noticed that alot of folks simply don't care about helping their engine to run and perform to near it's best ability, for whatever reason, be it the $$ or seeing no potential advantage, replying how they're not going to be drag racing or making rear wheel smoking wheelstands for a ¼ mile, etc., but those who have taken an interest in doing so want to share the benefits and advantages with those who may not even consider it...and this is where I normally become fairly outspoken and ramble on. But I guess I'm getting tired of typing the same $hit over and over, and for once it appears that I actually comprehended what the OP was asking and didn't go into my usual PV shmeal, hahahahaha.

=8^)

Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 PM
hammer6315
HDF Community Team
Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts
Default XiED

I opened up the exhaust on my 2012 1200 Custom. It ran poorly. After reading the recommendations on this forum, I installed the XiED's and noticed an immediate improvement. Still pops on de-acceleration a little, but overall I am happy happy happy!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Andres86
Banned

Awesome! Thank you guys for the great welcoming input! The reason why I'm narrowing my options down to the fuelpak and the XiED is obviously money, I don't have the 300-400+ to drop on the screaming eagle tuner (one because its for Windows operating system, I haz a mac.. and 2nd price) or the powervision (which looks bad *** and I've heard great things about) or anything more than 200, for now, but I am seriously done with how quiet my motorcycle is, I like the noise (but also performance) and was even thinking of saving up and getting a better exhaust but I came across a good deal on the SS's that I couldn't let pass by and that's why now I have to find a affordable way to upgrade the fuel management on my bike.. Some guy was selling a PCV with autotune for around 400 but that's still a bit high for my budget. Again, thank you for the great feedback.. What would be my money best spent on... I'm learning, so any suggestions/tips/advice etc. is greatly appreciated

What would be a real tuner as stated in some replies above... What's the "best bang for your buck"?

Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Andres86
Banned

Originally Posted by awilson40
Stay away from the FuelPak. Never worked well on my bike. The Xied's are a good option. They improved the bike a bit but I had better results with the Micro EFI from FuelMoto.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/micro-efi-tuner.html
Thanks for the link! Now I have 3 "affordable" options!

Old 08-08-2014, 11:20 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to get short shots, you will lose some performance in low/mid-range. Short shots are not an out of the box performance exhaust. If performance is your goal (vice looks and sound) then you need to either add a tuner you can afford (whatever it is) and get baffles (quiet baffles are great for the exhaust to gain back pressure to get back the low/mid range performance you will lose...don't let "quiet" prevent you from getting them...they really don't make the exhaust very quiet). Just my observation.

Quick Reply: XiED or Fuelpak tuner..?