Support for The Troops and their Families This is the place to give and get information about Support for our Troops and their Families.

NEW Shipping Tip

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
free2be
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Shipping Tip

I have been informed by one of our Heroes serving in Iraq that separating soaps, and other items of "smell" in ziplock bags does not help keep the tastefrom getting into food and/or tobacco items. If possible, it is best to ship all food (+tobacco)items separate from non-food items of smell. He has asked me to pass this along to all that are sending things to loved ones, his soapy tastingjerky wasn't very good[:'(]

Old 03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master
Default RE: NEW Shipping Tip

we (OpFTH) NO LONGER ship soap together with any items. It either only goes with the magazine , socks and such. Otherwise, we double zip lock it and keep other items for eatting in their jip locks and then into another box inside of the main box, the small usps priority boxes work good and they are free. I have been known to donate large SAMS CLUB size soap to local homeless places instead of sending it to the troops. they would rather enjoy the food and just use the military issue bars for the time being.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 PM
free2be
Elite HDF Member

LOL...that's exactly what he said too, we love the snacks!! What happened was one persons family member was sending everything in 1 box, soap, cigarettes, laundry supplies. The cigarettes tasted like dryer sheets[:'(], but nobody bummed 'em from him

Old 03-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Amy, good info thank you, I pinned this to thte Top so it would remain here with the rest of our inforamtion!
Thnaks again for all you do Darlin! hahahahha

Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
CBGUNS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out local heroes

http://mass-localheroes.org/

Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 AM
ksrider
Intermediate

my classes volunteer to help our local SOS (Support Our Soldiers) take care of the soap to put in the boxes being sent tothe troops each Christmas and our part is filling about 500 soda bottles with soap.By doing this and then washing the outside of the bottle we havepretty well cured the soapy taste on the food. Just be sure to washthe bottles and let them throughly dry before filling them.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 AM
ksrider
Intermediate

oh yes, I am talking about laundry soap in the bottles.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 AM
Diddy
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ksrider
my classes volunteer to help our local SOS (Support Our Soldiers) take care of the soap to put in the boxes being sent tothe troops each Christmas and our part is filling about 500 soda bottles with soap.By doing this and then washing the outside of the bottle we havepretty well cured the soapy taste on the food. Just be sure to washthe bottles and let them throughly dry before filling them.
Thanks for the tip! Damn good idea!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 PM
rotorhead_ed
Stage IV

if you really want to get on their good side send Ice Pops - no one ever thinks of them - first time my wife sent me a case I thought there was going to be a riot when everyone found out I had them (plus they are great for trading for other snacks) just about every living area has a freezer (most everyone has a dorm size in their rooms here in Baghdad) best time to ship is between March and Oct.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plastic bags are not air tight. Nylon bags are. If you must ship all items together, put the smelly stuff in a nylon turkey baking bag and seal it good. I guess the better idea would be to put everything elas in the turkey bag...either way. Just get the stuff to'em!!!

Quick Reply: NEW Shipping Tip