The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Best reason to go Darkside

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:55 PM
TruckerXbones
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best reason to go Darkside

I guess I should clarify, best reason to go Darkside if you have spoked rims with inner tubes. I'll mak this story short. Got a flat tire on the way to work. I road 15 miles to work (didn't know it was flat on the way in, figured it was a bad bearing again) and 30 miles back home on a completely flat rear tire. The sidewalls are strong enough to support the weight and keep the rim off the ground. I was able to keep highway speeds up to 55 miles an hour and just greatly reduced speed around turns and bends. Not the safest idea but was much easier faster and cheaper than calling a tow truck. Now I'm getting rid of the rear spoked rim and putting a solid rim with a tubless tire.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:22 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Clarification

So am I right in assuming you have a CT on? Is it a runflat?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 PM
TruckerXbones
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes... I was referring to the fact that I had a car tire on the rear and was able to ride it home while flat. I was running a Continental ContiProContact. I don't believe that particular tire is a runflat but still the sidewalls were strong enough to support the weight and keep me on the road. If you have true spoke rims, a flat tire that should be a minor inconvenience turns into a major hassle. Running a car tire would prevent you from being stranded somewhere you don't want to be. Just ride the flat carefully

Last edited by TruckerXbones; 05-06-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 PM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TruckerXbones
Yes... I was referring to the fact that I had a car tire on the rear and was able to ride it home while flat. I was running a Continental ContiProContact. I don't believe that particular tire is a runflat but still the sidewalls were strong enough to support the weight and keep me on the road. If you have true spoke rims, a flat tire that should be a minor inconvenience turns into a major hassle. Running a car tire would prevent you from being stranded somewhere you don't want to be. Just ride the flat carefully
Just for the record my original 180 tire on my `09 FLTR blew on the freeway. Didn`t know it until the wobble on the exit. Just completed my 20 mile comute from work. It smelled like burning rubber. Limped it home and now I`m happily running a CT. Lot more tire there. The original sure is flimsy in comparison.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

I was running C/T on my rigid shovel and packing a gal with me when I noticed it was just a little loose. Checked the pressure and it was down to 2 pounds from my usual 10. I had not even noticed it until I picked up the passenger.

Now I am anxiously waiting for my new C/T for my Wideglide that will arrive tomorrow in the big brown box.