The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Best Dark Side Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

I run a 205 on mine, there's a thread in this section. I also used DynaBeads. 3oz to be exact. The thing is smooth as glass and there's not a hint of the "rebalancing" tire shake at low speed that some claim. Smooth from a stop all the way up as fast as you feel like pushing it. As far as seating the bead, some claim up to 90+psi to finally get it to seat. I don't know which particular tire or any details but, mine was on and seated with 45psi. No issues. I am currently running it at about 38psi. I've got 1500mi on it so far and doubt very seriously I ever go back to a MT. This thing has been great in all weather and scenarios and cost $70 shipped to my door. I ride about the same mileage as you, primarily on a 100mi round trip commute to work. If I get 20K out of it I'm going to smile real big and buy another one. 6-7K out of the OEM Dunlops, babysitting pressure and riding like I'm scared of myself wasn't about to cut it.

Last edited by 67Shuv; 06-08-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Jarheadtalk
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
I run a 205 on mine, there's a thread in this section. I also used DynaBeads. 3oz to be exact. The thing is smooth as glass and there's not a hint of the "rebalancing" tire shake at low speed that some claim. Smooth from a stop all the way up as fast as you feel like pushing it. As far as seating the bead, some claim up to 90+psi to finally get it to seat. I don't know which particular tire or any details but, mine was on and seated with 45psi. No issues. I am currently running it at about 38psi. I've got 1500mi on it so far and doubt very seriously I ever go back to a MT. This thing has been great in all weather and scenarios and cost $70 shipped to my door. I ride about the same mileage as you, primarily on a 100mi round trip commute to work. If I get 20K out of it I'm going to smile real big and buy another one. 6-7K out of the OEM Dunlops, babysitting pressure and riding like I'm scared of myself wasn't about to cut it.
Prior to me doing this now I dumped the factory Dunlop and went to fullbore USA tires .a faction of the cost and average 12k-14k a rear tire .I average about 150 miles a day just for commute to work and old lady's house . So I would be just as happy as you with 20-25k for a rear . I truly appreciate the advice. And I'll keep you posted as my results as I'm doing it next week .

The following users liked this post:
67Shuv (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 02:17 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

The 205 or 195 will work fine.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:56 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarheadtalk
Prior to me doing this now I dumped the factory Dunlop and went to fullbore USA tires .a faction of the cost and average 12k-14k a rear tire .I average about 150 miles a day just for commute to work and old lady's house . So I would be just as happy as you with 20-25k for a rear . I truly appreciate the advice. And I'll keep you posted as my results as I'm doing it next week .
good luck with it.

Start your our own thread documenting what you've done, tire choice, pressure, bike model, conditions ridden etc... it's always good to have more info out there and having searchable info on the internet when folks like yourself consider trying it. It's not for everyone but it is damn sure a more feasible solution than most give credit for.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Jarheadtalk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 67Shuv

good luck with it.

Start your our own thread documenting what you've done, tire choice, pressure, bike model, conditions ridden etc... it's always good to have more info out there and having searchable info on the internet when folks like yourself consider trying it. It's not for everyone but it is damn sure a more feasible solution than most give credit for.
I most definitely will. Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:40 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Darkside

I have A car tire on my 2016 Road glide . Works great as usual. This is my third bike to Darkside and still think it is the way to go. Have over 100K on darkside miles and no failures or flats .

Old 06-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Jarheadtalk
Intermediate

Thanks. I'm looking forward to finally doing it after years of kicking the idea around

Old 07-12-2018, 03:26 AM
Stayung
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't put a CT on either one of my Harley's. Had some on my Honda VTX for years.
1st Harley was a '99 Ultra Classic with 160 on front and back. Never considered CT due to narrow tire. That kinda defeats the purpose.
Now I have an '10 Ultra Limited and love the fat tire. I'll be ready to convert it when this tire goes out.
I burned out a lot on my Honda so the CT was the perfect fit and function. Now I'll just run longer at a steady pace.
Ain't spun a Harley tire yet. I don't know if it's due to respect or my age. happy riding!!!

Old 07-12-2018, 06:18 AM
Jarheadtalk
Intermediate

This is the 12th bike in 20 years all touring and I almost regret not doing it sooner. But with the wide tire newer touring bikes I think it handles so much better .Good luck and post pictures or ask questions when doing it.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:33 AM
justbike1
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just returned from an 8500 mile trip on my 2014 Limited pulling a trailer with a new Bridgestone Drivegaurd. Did blue ridge parkway and Tail of the Dragon. Ive run a number of different car tires but this one is beyond a doubt the best tire I've ever used and after the trip shows no signs of wear at all. Love it. Running 25 psi. My buddy with me had same tire on his 17 limited loves it too.

Quick Reply: Best Dark Side Tire?