The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

death wobble...but not dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 AM
jeffjackman
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Saw this and thought of you.

I might help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqtj_mBxHWk
That is certainly a possibility. I am not ruling anything out at this time. I lined the tire up just like i did on the previous 2 tires i have put on, but that doesn't mean a thing. I thought i needed a tire sooner than i actually did. I went and put a Michelin Commander 2 mt on the bike. She is aired up to 42 psi like the sidewall suggests and no wobble. What i should have done was air up the car tire up to around 48 to 50 psi and run her hard Just to see what would happen. Still have the car tire. It won't be long til i need another tire. I will throw this car tire on and air her up like another post suggested or just go buy one of the few tires the majority of the Darksiders are riding.

Originally Posted by cigardave007
Could the balance be slightly off and rears it head at 95 or so?
It very well could be. It could also be that i didn't have enough air in the tire and it got squirrely at high speed.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-01-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:05 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Had my M8 up to 95, no wobble at all, ran smooth.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:29 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I have hit 110 with the car tire, smooth as silk, but that was on a highway not twisties...

I use Ride On front and back to balance what are you using?

Old 08-05-2017, 12:42 PM
jeffjackman
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I have hit 110 with the car tire, smooth as silk, but that was on a highway not twisties...

I use Ride On front and back to balance what are you using?
I have ride on in the front. The indy who mounted the ct refused to put it in. They likened it to Slime, the after you have a flat. We discussed Ride On and they refused to believe anything like that could exist. They put weights on the rear. I will probably end up either buying one of the tires most of the Darksiders are using or just bump up the air pressure on the tire i currently have in my garage.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:18 PM
staleyc806
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjackman
I put the Sumitomo Aspen Touring on my 14 Ultra Classic. Checked PSI, it was at 42. Went for a very long ride. Coming down a large mountain pass i felt a VERY BAD wobble at 110. It was very unnerving. Down right almost scary. So i backed it off and she calmed down. But i wanted to know at what speed the wobble started. At 85 mph she is steady. At 90 mph the wobble starts. And it's sudden. Would y'all recommend a little more air?
I appreciate the advice
Jeff
​​​​​​​you have too much air in the tire. 30 pounds max. I run mine at 28. I have a 15 ultra limited. Ride like you on occasion. Only ever had a similar situation and figured out it was all about the air pressure. Try it.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:20 PM
staleyc806
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I put the Sumitomo Aspen Touring on my 14 Ultra Classic. Checked PSI, it was at 42. Went for a very long ride. Coming down a large mountain pass i felt a VERY BAD wobble at 110. It was very unnerving. Down right almost scary. So i backed it off and she calmed down. But i wanted to know at what speed the wobble started. At 85 mph she is steady. At 90 mph the wobble starts. And it's sudden. Would y'all recommend a little more air?
I appreciate the advice
Jeff
in addition, take the wheel weights off and throw then as far as you can. Use either ride on or 3 oz of beads for balancing.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:13 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by staleyc806
in addition, take the wheel weights off and throw then as far as you can. Use either ride on or 3 oz of beads for balancing.
How much Ride On would you recommend?

Old 08-07-2017, 05:05 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I have ride on in the front. The indy who mounted the ct refused to put it in. They likened it to Slime, the after you have a flat. We discussed Ride On and they refused to believe anything like that could exist. They put weights on the rear. I will probably end up either buying one of the tires most of the Darksiders are using or just bump up the air pressure on the tire i currently have in my garage.
You need to tell your Indy who the boss is.

Mine originally did not want to mount my CT and then when he agreed to to do it he did not want use my Ride On. I simply explained that if he did not want to do the work I wanted, the way I wanted it done then he would be saying goodbye to me and my money forever.

They still do all the work on my bike....

Old 08-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Grandbo
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dark Sider

I'm running a 2nd Alta Max LT 43,250/60 with satisfactory results on my 965 lb. cruiser,(not the sportster). At first I thought I had made a dangerous mistake. That wobble sure gets the heart pumping. I followed advise and keep the pressure between 25 to 28.
I also lowered the bike 1 1/2", front and rear, (at 69 years and 175 lbs.), the lower center of gravity helped all around.
The one lacking bit of advice or stupidity on my part was, when moving right or left to pavement of different height.... approach the different elevation at 45 degrees or wider. Tough lesson; the wide flat tire profile changes the geometry and the cruiser and I flew 8' over to the right onto a drop off. The bushes saved me.
The softer ride and fantastic tire mileage are great once I learned my limitations.
Grandbo

Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,923 Likes on 8,434 Posts

I'm running about 38lbs in my Yokohama. The only time I get wobble is when I pass a car and have to cross over the noise barrier that they put in the lane divider out in the southwest. I'll get a little wobble over 90 for a few seconds then it smooths out again.

Quick Reply: death wobble...but not dead