The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Running Double Dark

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 05:19 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

how about the first statement in this thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Battlax front

Originally Posted by jessultra
how about the first statement in this thread
Hey there Jessultra, LOL, not sure where you must have misunderstood things but the popular "double dark" front tire , Bridgestone Battlax that everyone is mounting , (the first statement in this thread) is a rear motorcycle tire. Anyone in the main stream of things or regular touring bikes do not run car tires on the front on a daily basis, you may find a couple guys with novelty bikes , choppers or rat rods doing two car tires but it's not a common thing. The term "double dark" is and always has been referring to a car tire on the rear and a rear bike tire on the front ! I've been running with the dark side crowd for 12 years with over 150,000 logged miles with a group of friends that have collectively over half million miles on car tires and rear tires on the front. Please don't think I'm being a smart *** here just want you to understand whats happening and what these guys are talking about ! Take care , stay on the light side of the dark side ! I hope this helps ! https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...otorcycle+Tire

Attached Thumbnails Running Double Dark-21151498_10155727617214394_515260136316950152_n.jpg  
Old 09-01-2017, 03:42 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by rlh7677
Hey there Jessultra, LOL, not sure where you must have misunderstood things but the popular "double dark" front tire , Bridgestone Battlax that everyone is mounting , (the first statement in this thread) is a rear motorcycle tire. Anyone in the main stream of things or regular touring bikes do not run car tires on the front on a daily basis, you may find a couple guys with novelty bikes , choppers or rat rods doing two car tires but it's not a common thing. The term "double dark" is and always has been referring to a car tire on the rear and a rear bike tire on the front ! I've been running with the dark side crowd for 12 years with over 150,000 logged miles with a group of friends that have collectively over half million miles on car tires and rear tires on the front. Please don't think I'm being a smart *** here just want you to understand whats happening and what these guys are talking about ! Take care , stay on the light side of the dark side ! I hope this helps ! https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_n...otorcycle+Tire
You guys are confusing me...

Th OP has a 150 Battle Ax (a motorcycle "rear" tire) on the front and a car tire on the rear. That is the same as me. So what is the problem with his definition of Double Dark?

Old 09-01-2017, 04:26 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

ok i got it , sorry for all the confusion

Old 09-01-2017, 10:27 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Default Misunderstanding

Originally Posted by PFWiz
You guys are confusing me...

Th OP has a 150 Battle Ax (a motorcycle "rear" tire) on the front and a car tire on the rear. That is the same as me. So what is the problem with his definition of Double Dark?
PFWiz, there is nothing wrong with the OP's definition of double dark, in fact he is correct as you are also. Jessultra misunderstood the term "double dark" to mean both front and rear tire to be a car tire. He used the OP's first post as an example but must have thought a Battlax was a car tire that's maybe why he wanted a picture. By no means am I the terminology police around here but wanted Jessultra to understand the correct reference to the term "double dark" for his own benefit when reading posts. If you start from the beginning of the thread and read each post I think you will understand the confusion. There is enough confusion and misunderstanding surrounding the idea of running a car tire we don't need to make it any worse especially among ourselves! LOL !

Last edited by rlh7677; 09-01-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default rlh is right

CT on rear + rear mc on front = DD
Google only finds things posted on the web. It doesn't verify the correctness of the posts.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:42 AM
brocan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanting to run double dark, So what is the consensus of mounting a rear Battle Ax on the front , straight up mounting or reverse mounting ?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:19 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Default rotation question

Originally Posted by brocan
Wanting to run double dark, So what is the consensus of mounting a rear Battle Ax on the front , straight up mounting or reverse mounting ?
You will find answers on both sides of your question, I personally am interested in best water/rain dispersement which is usually the indicated rotation or not reversed but seen it both ways on this forum and others are also mixed each way. I only have 10,000 miles on this Avon 180/55/18 in correct direction and all is well with handling, wear, traction etc. Lots of guys on here run both ways with the battle ax, don't suppose I helped you any but comes down to your preference I guess.

Attached Thumbnails Running Double Dark-2017-bike-pics-032.jpg   Running Double Dark-2017-bike-pics-033.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by rlh7677
You will find answers on both sides of your question, I personally am interested in best water/rain dispersement which is usually the indicated rotation or not reversed but seen it both ways on this forum and others are also mixed each way. I only have 10,000 miles on this Avon 180/55/18 in correct direction and all is well with handling, wear, traction etc. Lots of guys on here run both ways with the battle ax, don't suppose I helped you any but comes down to your preference I guess.
I have been eyeing your tire vs running a similar tire the opposite way and honestly, it appears running the tire with the correct rotation makes sense. Rain dispersal along with mud and other debris through the rain sipes seem to be gathered when it's run in reverse to match the OEM tire. Running the tire without changing the direction as you have pushes the rain and other debris away plus offers better control. So it makes sense to me to run the rear tire without reversing it. It would also mean less mud and gunk caking directly in back of the tire on the bikes frame and oil cooler if equipped and the voltage regulator/rectifier. I live on a dirt & gravel road out in the sticks so when the road is wet, I have a ton of crap I need to wash off.

My next tire I had already planned on having it wider and taller, but I also think I will run mine the way you have and see how it works out. If nothing else I can always change it back.

A side by side comparison or your tire vs someone elses (not mine):

Last edited by Bonnie Storm; 11-05-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:06 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Wanting to go to the Darkside again my 2010 Goldwing i ran the Darkside got over 40,000 mile with a Battlax on the front and run flat car tire on the rear love it. You will get some good mileage out of the Battlax nice setup, Not sure if ill run car tires due to warranty with HD. That’s the only thing holding me back, Good Luck Ride Safe

Quick Reply: Running Double Dark