The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Running Double Dark

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
Wanting to go to the Darkside again my 2010 Goldwing i ran the Darkside got over 40,000 mile with a Battlax on the front and run flat car tire on the rear love it. You will get some good mileage out of the Battlax nice setup, Not sure if ill run car tires due to warranty with HD. That’s the only thing holding me back, Good Luck Ride Safe
I went to the Dark Side less than halfway through my extended warranty. BTW, that expires in 4 days! (total waste of money if you ask me) I can't see how running Dark would have anything to do with any of the other components. Probably just another reason for them to stick their hands in your pockets. (more money for them)

Old 11-05-2017, 06:38 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default tire reversed

[QUOTE=HummingBird Nut;16799230]I have been eyeing your tire vs running a similar tire the opposite way and honestly, it appears running the tire with the correct rotation makes sense. Rain dispersal along with mud and other debris through the rain sipes seem to be gathered when it's run in reverse to match the OEM tire. Running the tire without changing the direction as you have pushes the rain and other debris away plus offers better control. So it makes sense to me to run the rear tire without reversing it. It would also mean less mud and gunk caking directly in back of the tire on the bikes frame and oil cooler if equipped and the voltage regulator/rectifier. I live on a dirt & gravel road out in the sticks so when the road is wet, I have a ton of crap I need to wash off.

My next tire I had already planned on having it wider and taller, but I also think I will run mine the way you have and see how it works out. If nothing else I can always change it back.

A side by side comparison or your tire vs someone elses (not mine):
[/Qu
Your opinion and thoughts match mine exactly, here is a pic of the same tire mounted reversed direction and as the tire rotates forward it will push the forward puddle to the middle of the tire where the tread dead ends and traps it.

Attached Thumbnails Running Double Dark-2_16flhx180front.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (11-06-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 07:11 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Mounting orientation

I have been quizzing people on this forum for quite a while and haven't heard of anyone having the same problem I did running a BattleAxe in the correct orientation.

I had several that had to be changed out with good tread on them because of the rubber cracking. Since I've started mounting them in the reverse direction, I haven't had another issue with them.

One other warning, keep a close eye on your tire pressure. The BattleAxes profiles start to look like a stop sign if you run them on low pressure.

The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
I have been quizzing people on this forum for quite a while and haven't heard of anyone having the same problem I did running a BattleAxe in the correct orientation.

I had several that had to be changed out with good tread on them because of the rubber cracking. Since I've started mounting them in the reverse direction, I haven't had another issue with them.

One other warning, keep a close eye on your tire pressure. The BattleAxes profiles start to look like a stop sign if you run them on low pressure.
That is some seriously interesting information. I wonder if that would apply to other rear MC tires as well. Seeing the evidence with your pictures speaks volumes.

I tend to do pre flight inspections before a ride to make sure things are sitting right meaning correct air pressure, belt tension, brake pad wear and whatever else. Especially if the bike felt different during the previous ride. I have a digital air pressure gauge I had picked up on Amazon for checking air. (Accutire-MS-4021B) It works great for quick checks.

I think what I'll do in the near future is to pick up another MC rear to have on hand as a just in case. The current one I'm running is the BattleAxe in reverse so I'm thinking once I get the other tire, I haven't decided on brand or size yet, I'll do the reversal with the BattleAxe to the correct direction and put it through the paces to see if I can replicate what happened to your tires. And supply pictures if the same things happen. My riding style varies. Sometimes I ride like a demon straight out of hell, and other times I ride like a 100 year old lady.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:51 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Battle Axe

I've had great luck with the Battle Axes as a whole. I bet I've had at least a dozen of them all together. My 2013 has had one up front since before it rolled over 10,000 miles until my last tire change when I put a Michelin Commander on it. I'm coming up on 133,000 miles now so for at least 120,000 miles the BA was rolling on the front and I had a couple on the bike before this one.

They are a dual compound tire, so they work best running down the superslab. Here in the Ozarks, the twisties eat the softer sidewall rubber up pretty quickly. They're still a good tire though and you can't beat the price. I usually get them for a couple of bucks over $100.