The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Rear Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:24 PM
Drifter-10
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Bearings

Is anyone else running Darkside wearing their rear wheel bearings out quicker than MT tire runners?

I have right at 52000 on a 2013 RGU and have wobble from the rear. I figure its the wheel bearings or maybe the swing arm bearings?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:43 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Wheel bearing

Originally Posted by Drifter-10
Is anyone else running Darkside wearing their rear wheel bearings out quicker than MT tire runners?

I have right at 52000 on a 2013 RGU and have wobble from the rear. I figure its the wheel bearings or maybe the swing arm bearings?
Has nothing to do with running a car tire, you are lucky to get that many miles out of the stock bearings, they are packed with very minimal amount of lube. You don't mention if you have ABS but it's my guess you don't, the ABS bearings don't have the failure rate as much as the standard 9276A's. The stock bearing will last much longer if you remove the rubber seal and pack with a good quality wheel grease, easy to do, or go with an after market, they can be cross referenced to a brand of your liking but Timkin under the name Fafnir also makes. Also make sure you replace the front also while you are at it, I know of many failures at half your mileage. Stay on the dark side if you prefer, regardless of what you hear or are told by a hater it has nothing to do with short bearing life. Hope this helps.https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...el-wobble.html

The following users liked this post:
PFWiz (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Drifter-10
Advanced

Thank rlh7677.

I do have ABS.

I have checked the front bearing and they are still good. Didn't change them at this time per recommendation of one of the local Indy shops but may still once I get this issue resolved.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:50 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Bearings

Originally Posted by Drifter-10
Thank rlh7677.

I do have ABS.

I have checked the front bearing and they are still good. Didn't change them at this time per recommendation of one of the local Indy shops but may still once I get this issue resolved.
The ABS bearings have not been failing like the non ABS . You can easily check the front bearings by removing the rubber seal, if they are dry or you have any doubts then change them or if you need a front tire soon then just catch them then. If you ride local it's no big deal, they will give you plenty of warning to change them but if you travel then don't take the chance to have to spend a day at a dealer. Good luck !

Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

The rear wheel bearing on my '15 **** the bed in just over a year. The most experienced tech I know and respect said it's common. Front wheel bearing was replaced at 22 months.

It's probably not your CT.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:25 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

they are crap bearings that harley uses. i got 2400 miles out of my fronts. replaced under warrenty and not installed correctly and lasted about another 2500. junk bearings and techs not knowing how to install new ones. i bought the correct tool and do it myself now.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:19 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

When you get new bearings, as previously said pop a seal and check them, and if they have what looks like clear vaseline (I've seen a lot of this), clean all that junk out and regrease with a premium name brand synthetic, not the buck.99 house brands. Even if it's $10 a tube or more, that does a lot of bearings. I also toss any wheel bearing with plastic ball spacers, only use bearings with sturdy metal ball cages. I've pulled the plastic types with ground up plastic in the grease. I think the major problem with premature wheel bearing failures is grease, not good enough or enough of it. I only use American brand bearings, though I haven't been able to find some Harley sizes from them and tried AllBalls. Those are Chinese, but evidently a whole lot better (cheaper, too) than Harley's Chinese bearings, with double seals on each side, sturdy metal ball cages, well packed with Chevron synthetic grease, and they have ABS replacements, too. Too bad there aren't any Timkin tapered roller bearing conversions, they just didn't fail if you greased and installed them right.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Drifter-10
Advanced

Thanks.

Yeah just kept looking and see where bearings fail at any time no matter the mileage.

Put in the All ***** we will see how they go.

Ya'll be safe

Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 AM
justbike1
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley wheel bearings are absolute garbage, Ive had one fail in the front in 3000 miles, huge safety issue I dont know how they get away with selling such garbage that can put lives at risk, Always run darkside never had a rear bearing go, however replacing mine with all ***** at the next tire change, 30000 miles as preventive measure.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:28 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,841 Likes on 8,408 Posts

I want to put better bearings on the front wheel of my 16RGU. I checked the 205pp bearing by Timken but I'm not clear on if they will work with the ABS.
Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for?

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearings