The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Choosing a Tire For the New CVO

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:52 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Choosing a Tire For the New CVO

Maybe, just maybe, if the creek don't rise and spring actually starts I will be bring the new bike home in a couple of weeks. One of the first things I will do is get a car tire on the back.

I know I am going to use Ride-On to balance it (I just ordered the Ride_On)

The tires I am currently considering are (in no particular order)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...PRFT&tab=Sizes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...DSST&tab=Sizes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

I know I want a run flat and I know I want a symmetrical tire. Beyond that I am not sure...

So tell me what are your opinions, what do you think?

Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

I've narrowed my search down to either that yokohama or that General you ran last.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

The Gmax was a good tire, but every now and then the the rear of the bike would squirm a little go around high speed turns. So folks say that is because the GMax needs a stiffer side wall.

The Gmax does give a great ride and handles stupid good in the rain!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:05 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

I'd be willing to give that yoko a run!!! I'm not sold on the winter tires yet. I know some guys swear by them, but it seems the compound would get way too hot for what it was intended. At least on my bike down here. Pavement temps see some crazy high temps on occasion. As far as the Gmax moving in a turn. I get plenty of rear wobble in turns as it is with the Dunflops. It can't be any worse.

Last edited by 67Shuv; 03-19-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:10 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

I like the looks of the tread on the Potenza, but looking at the UTQG rating of 400, I'd pass. You wouldn't get near the mileage out of it as one with a UTQG rating of 560. (the lower the number the softer rubber compound)

The Dunlop Winter Sport, I like the tread, but it's a winter tire and will wear quickly in the summer due to the softer rubber compound which keeps it flexible in winter.

The Michelin X-Ice, I like the tread, but it's a winter tire and will wear quickly in the summer. Don't get me wrong, the grip on winter tires are simply awesome. Run in the summer the same thing, but the wear wouldn't be near what you'd expect from an all season radial.

The Yokohama AVID ENVigor is a decent tire. The tread works well and will handle most anything you throw at it. You should get some good mileage with the UTQG Rating of 560

I am sort of partial to the Yokohama as I am running one similar, the Yokohama ENVigor (not a run flat) It has the same tread pattern and wears well. That is the one pictured in my avatar. (205/60R16) I ride year round through all sorts of crap including snow and ice and it has held quite well. Of course going over snow and ice, water/rain covered ice, black ice, mud covered ice, etc, you will have to proceed with caution as you would with any other tire.

Adding the Ride-On or similar product should yield good results. You may also want to change out the valve stems to either 90 or 45 degree stems to make checking and adding air a lot easier. Especially the rear tire!

My current bike is a 2010 FLHX Street Glide running Double Dark. The Yokohama ENVigor with the BattleAx rear MC tire run backward on the front.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:49 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
I'd be willing to give that yoko a run!!! I'm not sold on the winter tires yet. I know some guys swear by them, but it seems the compound would get way too hot for what it was intended. At least on my bike down here. Pavement temps see some crazy high temps on occasion. As far as the Gmax moving in a turn. I get plenty of rear wobble in turns as it is with the Dunflops. It can't be any worse.
The General G-Max is a nice tire for what it is, but yep, the sidewalls are too flimsy for my riding style. Going through a hard curve the sidewall gave way almost resulting in a crash. Actually hit the rear part of the bikes frame on the asphalt, not hard, but enough to make me take notice. I was able to straighten my bike back up, but that was a serious "oh chit" moment.

Other than the sidewall issue, I do like the tread and never had any erroneous vibrations or wobbles. For a lot of straight line riding, and sweeping curves it might be alright, but for hard curves and twisties, I would recommend something else.

Here's where the frame and asphalt met: You'll also notice the BattleAx propped up against the wall which I mounted later.

The following users liked this post:
67Shuv (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:04 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah, I question the longevity of running snow tires also. Although I must say that there are a number of folks who seem pretty happy with them.

As of right now the Yoko has the inside track....

Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member

In the event I do change my Avatar, which I am prone to do on occasion, here is a larger picture of the Yokohama. And in case there might be a question as to the validity of my claim to have run the General G-Max, I also added a picture of that. The G-Max I was running was a 195/55r16

Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 AM
justbike1
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On electraglides I have used michelins, bridgestones and wore out three Yoko avid envigor rf. Always use RF. Not a question the Yoko is the best tire I have ever had on a bike. Only drawback to it is you don't get great tread life but its supreme performance in all conditions makes up for it.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:40 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Just to let everyone know, I just ordered...

BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE960AS POLE POSITION RFT 195/55 - 16

I hope to get it installed on Friday.

Planning on using 16 oz of Ride On for balancing.

Quick Reply: Choosing a Tire For the New CVO