The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Rear CT for RGU with Sidecar

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 11:15 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,605 Likes on 5,173 Posts
Default Rear CT for RGU with Sidecar

I am mounting a Hannigan Twin classic sidecar on a 2017 RGU. Rear tire is 180/65B16. The sidecar already has a CT on it. While a proper mounted Sidecar will run at any speed you wish , 80 Mph is my target speed.
Suggestions on CT for this set up . Not planning on racing it ,but would like it to handle right.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:39 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

I just mounted a 205/55-16 Hankook in place of the same size tire and it fits and functions great! Also look at 195/55 or 195/60 sizes. Plenty of tires available between those three options. Just pick what you like and go with it. The lack of a lean angle with a SC will allow you to choose basically any tire that you like. I picked the one I did due to its slightly rounded shoulders and tread profile. So far it has performed flawlessly in every situation I've had it in. Personally, I'd shoot for a 205 width with a sidecar due to the lateral loading on the tire. You'll have as much tire on the ground as possible. I haven't checked my speedo against GPS yet but it seems it's running pretty true on the speedo according to where I run in traffic. 80mph is no issue, and I'm sure it won't be for you either.

Last edited by 67Shuv; 05-28-2018 at 12:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:33 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
I just mounted a 205/55-16 Hankook in place of the same size tire and it fits and functions great! Also look at 195/55 or 195/60 sizes. Plenty of tires available between those three options. Just pick what you like and go with it. The lack of a lean angle with a SC will allow you to choose basically any tire that you like. I picked the one I did due to its slightly rounded shoulders and tread profile. So far it has performed flawlessly in every situation I've had it in. Personally, I'd shoot for a 205 width with a sidecar due to the lateral loading on the tire. You'll have as much tire on the ground as possible. I haven't checked my speedo against GPS yet but it seems it's running pretty true on the speedo according to where I run in traffic. 80mph is no issue, and I'm sure it won't be for you either.
Thanks I am not new to sidecars . However this is a not bigger setup. I have never really had a need to go CT but I think this maybe the time. The front end is getting a HD trike setup ,tree, tubes and stabilizer Once I get use to the increased trail may consider CT up front also..

Old 05-28-2018, 02:02 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 386 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm familiar with your other sidecar projects here. You do good work. I don't see why on a trike or sidecar rig a front CT wouldn't work. The issue would be finding something suitable in that size. I'll be going to a 150 rear tire on the front of my bike this next tire change, and eventually would love to do a 180 wheel/tire swap up front. I'd give a serious look at Avon's front tire specifically made for a heavy trike to run on the front of your setup. I don't have any first hand experience with it but logic says that if it's more than another marketing ploy, it would do well on a sidecar setup or even a bike looking for good front tire mileage. I haven't ruled it out myself.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:34 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
I'm familiar with your other sidecar projects here. You do good work. I don't see why on a trike or sidecar rig a front CT wouldn't work. The issue would be finding something suitable in that size. I'll be going to a 150 rear tire on the front of my bike this next tire change, and eventually would love to do a 180 wheel/tire swap up front. I'd give a serious look at Avon's front tire specifically made for a heavy trike to run on the front of your setup. I don't have any first hand experience with it but logic says that if it's more than another marketing ploy, it would do well on a sidecar setup or even a bike looking for good front tire mileage. I haven't ruled it out myself.
I had a chance to see a sidecar setup being built for 150 MPH. Now granted that thing is some major work. It had CT front and rear. It how ever is not the type setup I am aiming for.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:27 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Talked with HD dealer today that will be installing the sidecar . They have no problem putting a Ct on the rear. That moves me one step closer to going that route.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:19 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
I am mounting a Hannigan Twin classic sidecar on a 2017 RGU. Rear tire is 180/65B16. The sidecar already has a CT on it. While a proper mounted Sidecar will run at any speed you wish , 80 Mph is my target speed.
Suggestions on CT for this set up . Not planning on racing it ,but would like it to handle right.
I have a '16 RGU with a Hannigan SuperSport sidecar and just put a car tire on the back yesterday. I had already planned on going to a car tire when the original back tire wore out, but with about 15,000 miles and still maybe a couple thousand miles of tread on the tire I picked up a large screw and a slow leak somewhere. No point in trying to repair a tire that was almost worn out anyway, so, with a road trip coming up next week, I just bought the only tire the local tire shop had in stock that would fit, a Pirelli Cinturato P7 195/55/16. I'm not really a fan of car tires on two wheels, but with the hack I saw no downside. Just took it for a 20 mile test ride, but so far it feels fine, no noticable change in handling, maybe rides a little smoother. Only got it up to 75, felt fine, no issue at all. Plenty of room for the tire, not close to rubbing anywhere, I could have gone with a 205, and when this one is worn out I probably will. I won't claim that this is the "best" tire for a sidecar rig, it was just what I could find locally on short notice, but it fit and seems to work fine so far. Running 38 PSI for now, will play with tire pressure some to see how it feels/handles over the next few weeks.

Installed it myself, using a modified Harbor Freight tire machine and used "Ride On" tire sealer/balancer, along with a 90 degree valve stem.(Which these bikes should have had from the factory).

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (06-18-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

I will be looking into this more. Swaping out my front end is done. The bike works just fine without the side on it . So I have to really think about this. It was looking like once I did all the front end work it might not handle well without the side car. that was incorrect.
Thanks for the information . Post more as you get some miles on it.
Your rig looks sharp. My 2016 was that color .

Old 08-19-2018, 12:34 PM
KS_Gunny
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would look at a car tire the same size as the Hack...

Old 08-19-2018, 04:12 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KS_Gunny
i would look at a car tire the same size as the Hack...
The hack tire would be to small . I will still be looking into the CT down the road. I am about due for a new rear tire on the bike by the time the Hack is done . Already setup a new rear tire while the hack is installed .My other bike with a side car on it does not do bad at all on tires. But it is ligher by a lot.

Quick Reply: Rear CT for RGU with Sidecar