The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

205/65r16 snow tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggman1
How wide of a rim are you putting the tire on?
If your asking me, I'll be putting it on the stock Street Glide rim which I believe is 5 inches. I Have been running the 205/60r16 on it without any issues so the 205/65r16 should be fine on the rim.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:21 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, it's been said "you'll never know if something will work if you don't at least try." I tried, and it failed. The tire itself is too fat. The sidewall does touch the belt. So I guess I'll switch back to my previous tire for the time being, the 205/60r16. I figured as long as I was going to do the bearings it was a good time as any to try another tire. So while the new tire didn't work as expected, I still have the new bearings installed.

My old tire still has a fair amount of meat left on it, so it's not really a big deal. Changing back might be though since the temperatures here are going to take a digger and my garage is unheated/uninsulated and drafty! .

Old 01-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member

I went ahead and changed the tires back this morning and in the couple of hours I was in the garage it went from 34 degrees down to 25 degrees. But I got it done, so for me that's all that matters.

I did find out the snow tire (205/65r16) was also rubbing on the swingarm and though I saw some rub marks on the underside of the fender, those may have been caused during the initial installation.

Here is but one picture I took showing the belt in contact with the tire and the tire connecting with the swingarm.(cropped)

While I'm showing pictures though, here are the OEM bearings I changed out and also opened to see what was happening with the inside. I will say there is a notable difference between the old and the new bearings. Turning my bike around requires a bit of rolling and it was smooth with no sound. The bike even seemed to roll a lot easier.

The bearings from the sprocket are on the left side with the top one that was likely to fail soon. The two on the right are from the wheel with the one for the ABS in the lower right hand side.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:35 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

After all the searching I just picked one. Went with the Hankook 426 in 195/60R16 that size is almost a prefect match to stock it is only .30 of an inch wider. Should have no issues. When the time come HD will mount mount it. The Tire shop where I purchased the tire said long as it was going on a bike with a sidecar they would mount it, no problem. Seems she knew what she was talking about.
In all the digging I did, one thing I found out was Rim protector tires can cause fit issues. They are wider on the outside side wall

Last edited by smitty901; 02-25-2019 at 10:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member

A lot of people appreciate the Hankook tires. Usually when its time for me to start looking, that one is in among the choices. You will be happy with your choice!

FOr me though, I change/mount my own tires. For that matter I do my own wrenching. I hate being told what I can or can't do especially on my bike, and really really despise being told "I can't do that!" in their whiniest voice. It's not that they can't, it's more like they're too lazy to do it!

Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
A lot of people appreciate the Hankook tires. Usually when its time for me to start looking, that one is in among the choices. You will be happy with your choice!

FOr me though, I change/mount my own tires. For that matter I do my own wrenching. I hate being told what I can or can't do especially on my bike, and really really despise being told "I can't do that!" in their whiniest voice. It's not that they can't, it's more like they're too lazy to do it!
So true!!

Old 04-11-2019, 09:02 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts

When you ask the Harley shop to mount the tire, remind them that Harleys were delivered from the factor with car tires up until the mid 1960s.
Mounting a run flat is just a little more difficult than a regular tire. I put one on a friends Road Glide a couple years ago. He loves it.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:37 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by EasternSP
When you ask the Harley shop to mount the tire, remind them that Harleys were delivered from the factor with car tires up until the mid 1960s.
Mounting a run flat is just a little more difficult than a regular tire. I put one on a friends Road Glide a couple years ago. He loves it.
Some dealers will not mount a car tire. Even many non HD dealers won't do it. Local HD dealer mounted mine no problem. It is a liability issue . Some riders goes out and crashes they will go after the dealer.
So far the Hankook 426 195/60R16 fits with plenty of clearance, no effect on the Speedo . Taking it to TN soon for a good test. I can't really speak to ride, mine has a sidecar so it does not compare to a normal bike.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:47 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Some dealers will not mount a car tire. Even many non HD dealers won't do it. Local HD dealer mounted mine no problem. It is a liability issue . Some riders goes out and crashes they will go after the dealer.
So far the Hankook 426 195/60R16 fits with plenty of clearance, no effect on the Speedo . Taking it to TN soon for a good test. I can't really speak to ride, mine has a sidecar so it does not compare to a normal bike.
So how would they help restore an old Pan Head that had car tires as the original equipment?
Ya see, they're basing their concerns off of unfounded problems.

The following users liked this post:
Shaggy Freebird (12-31-2020)
Old 04-20-2019, 06:35 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by EasternSP
So how would they help restore an old Pan Head that had car tires as the original equipment?
Ya see, they're basing their concerns off of unfounded problems.
Simple law suits are a concern in everything. Car tire manufactures say don't do it, motorcycle wheel markers say don't do it. If a dealer does it they don't have much of a case. As I said some will. I am happy with the car tire on my rig. It is working out better than expected.
I may try it in the front also after a few more 1,000 miles and we see how the front tire wears.
Company I retired from had a policy that any part replaced on Heavy equipment had to come from the manufacture period. That was all based on avoid law suits. We live in a law suit driven world. As for my ride I will do with it as I please after doing the research .
You will find that every motorcycle manufacturer, says not to mount a sidecar now. I did not listen to that crap either.