Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   The Dark Side (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dark-side-167/)
-   -   New to me.... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dark-side/1269277-new-to-me.html)

fjoh 01-29-2019 07:36 PM

New to me....

Hello,
I’m leaning towards going darksidd when I need a new rear tire on my 2018 Sport Glide.
Stock size is 180/70-16.
Its a little taller than the touring bikes 180/65-16.

Fot those with experience, what size tire should I get?
Any brand/ model that’s known to be good for motorcycles?

Lastly, anyone know any shops in Phoenix AZ that would mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim?

Thanks in advance.

Bonnie Storm 02-04-2019 10:08 AM

I have no idea how wide the swingarm is on the Sport Glide is, but the stock tire on my 2010 Street Glide was a 180/65-16. Was because I am currently running a 205/60r16 car tire. You could try the 195/60-16 and it would match up for the height and be a bit wider than the 180. The only drawback is the choices are limited with that particular size. I've only found one to date that might be suitable and I'm fairly sure there are a few here who are running them. That is the Kumho Ecsta PA31 (195/60r16 89v) with a UTQG of 500 A A It is a directional tire so it should only be mounted like your current motorcycle tire.

You may have to adjust the air pressure a bit, but starting off at 35 to 37# should bring you close. Then adjust a couple of pounds either way to find the sweet spot.Some here use RideOn for balancing and others like myself have been using Balance Beads.

I have no idea where you would bring your tire to have it mounted since I mount mine myself. No hassles that way :D

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...8566edb06d.jpg
Give it a shot, if nothing else, the tire could be returned to Amazon or you could just sell it on Craig's List if it didn't work out for you.

fjoh 02-05-2019 08:30 AM

Ya

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm (Post 18010418)
I have no idea how wide the swingarm is on the Sport Glide is, but the stock tire on my 2010 Street Glide was a 180/65-16. Was because I am currently running a 205/60r16 car tire. You could try the 195/60-16 and it would match up for the height and be a bit wider than the 180. The only drawback is the choices are limited with that particular size. I've only found one to date that might be suitable and I'm fairly sure there are a few here who are running them. That is the Kumho Ecsta PA31 (195/60r16 89v) with a UTQG of 500 A A It is a directional tire so it should only be mounted like your current motorcycle tire.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may have to adjust the air pressure a bit, but starting off at 35 to 37# should bring you close. Then adjust a couple of pounds either way to find the sweet spot.Some here use RideOn for balancing and others like myself have been using Balance Beads.

I have no idea where you would bring your tire to have it mounted since I mount mine myself. No hassles that way :D

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...8566edb06d.jpg
Give it a shot, if nothing else, the tire could be returned to Amazon or you could just sell it on Craig's List if it didn't work out for you.

thank you for the reply and suggestion.
I just remembered of a local small Indy tire shop who’s been very cool when I was rebuilding an El Camino, so I’m gonna ask him he he’d mount the tire for me.
If he would, I’ll give it a shot for sure.
I read nothing but good about dark side from who “actually have experiences”. It seems like all the negative comments come from people who NEVER TRIED IT.
I’m old school and I tend to value opinions of those who’s done it. Lol
besides, when I was younger (about 40 years ago! Lol) I’ve seen more than a few choppers in magazines with car tires on the back and I always thought it was the coolest. Meanest! Now that I keep reading all the positives, I have to try it and draw my conclusion.
I have a feeling that I’m one of those “I’d never go back to MC TIRE ever again!”

My back tire still has a lot of life left, but I may not even wait til it needs to be replaced! Lol

likd the old **** COMMERCIAL, “JUST FO IT!” Right?? :)

Bonnie Storm 02-05-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by fjoh (Post 18012738)
Ya
thank you for the reply and suggestion.
I just remembered of a local small Indy tire shop who’s been very cool when I was rebuilding an El Camino, so I’m gonna ask him he he’d mount the tire for me.
If he would, I’ll give it a shot for sure.
I read nothing but good about dark side from who “actually have experiences”. It seems like all the negative comments come from people who NEVER TRIED IT.
I’m old school and I tend to value opinions of those who’s done it. Lol
besides, when I was younger (about 40 years ago! Lol) I’ve seen more than a few choppers in magazines with car tires on the back and I always thought it was the coolest. Meanest! Now that I keep reading all the positives, I have to try it and draw my conclusion.
I have a feeling that I’m one of those “I’d never go back to MC TIRE ever again!”

My back tire still has a lot of life left, but I may not even wait til it needs to be replaced! Lol

likd the old **** COMMERCIAL, “JUST FO IT!” Right?? :)

I've been riding the DarkSide since 2014, and even went double dark that same year. Double dark is running the appropriate sized rear motorcycle tire on the front but in reverse due to the rain sipes. Currently I'm running a 150/70-18 in place of the 130/70-18 which raises the front a bit since it's taller. My next tire will be a 150/60-18 which is very near the same height as the OEM. The rear tire has more wearable rubber (thicker) which should increase the miles one gets per tire.

I used to know a guy who would always say "Just do it!" I kind of wondered where he got that from. My favorite saying is "You'll never know unless you try!" And I am one that has the tendency to try just about anything. I recently mounted a too tall and too wide of a car tire on the back of my bike, unknown to me at the time, but I wanted to see if it would work. It was a 205/65r16 snow tire. :) (If you try and fail you've still won half the battle where as if you don't even try, you have failed completely)

I really was hoping some of the guys here would reply, since they are likely more knowledgeable than I am. Add to the fact I seem to be the only female running on the DarkSide, even double dark, I'm the bottom of the barrel in a manor of speaking. Plus, I'm older than dirt (67)

You'll have to post here how the tire works out one way or the other. I'm sure most everyone here would benefit. Sometimes we have to break new ground!

fjoh 02-06-2019 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm (Post 18012873)
I've been riding the DarkSide since 2014, and even went double dark that same year. Double dark is running the appropriate sized rear motorcycle tire on the front but in reverse due to the rain sipes. Currently I'm running a 150/70-18 in place of the 130/70-18 which raises the front a bit since it's taller. My next tire will be a 150/60-18 which is very near the same height as the OEM. The rear tire has more wearable rubber (thicker) which should increase the miles one gets per tire.

I used to know a guy who would always say "Just do it!" I kind of wondered where he got that from. My favorite saying is "You'll never know unless you try!" And I am one that has the tendency to try just about anything. I recently mounted a too tall and too wide of a car tire on the back of my bike, unknown to me at the time, but I wanted to see if it would work. It was a 205/65r16 snow tire. :) (If you try and fail you've still won half the battle where as if you don't even try, you have failed completely)

I really was hoping some of the guys here would reply, since they are likely more knowledgeable than I am. Add to the fact I seem to be the only female running on the DarkSide, even double dark, I'm the bottom of the barrel in a manor of speaking. Plus, I'm older than dirt (67)

You'll have to post here how the tire works out one way or the other. I'm sure most everyone here would benefit. Sometimes we have to break new ground!

thank you for your reply.

As a matter of fact, I’m gonna try to find a shop who’d mount a ct for me today. (I’m not doing it just yet, but want to find someone first.....) I have a local Indy tire shop that comes to mind...👍

Double dark side: I think I’ll be going that route actually. Since I’ve always liked the FAT FRONT END look on a touring bike (i.e. Native customs bagger with 180/200 front tire) 150/60-18 sounds like something I’d love to try. :)

It should/ will the look I’ve been looking for for a long time!!

What brand/ model tire are you using?!
what're you using for balancing? Dynabeads? ride on?
how much of it are you using?

Ive read about “high speed wobble” with CT.
Have you had any issues?

fjoh 02-06-2019 10:14 AM

As I dug into the size comparison,
195/65-16 would be near perfect height match for my application.
But the choice of the tire seems to be very limited.....
search/ investigation continues.....

Bonnie Storm 02-06-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by fjoh (Post 18015582)
What brand/ model tire are you using?!
what're you using for balancing? Dynabeads? ride on?
how much of it are you using?

Ive read about “high speed wobble” with CT.
Have you had any issues?

My current as well as my next tire for the front will be a Shinko. They tend to have pretty good reviews and they are manufactured in Korea. I've found their tire to be pretty decent all the way around. The only thing I'm not sure of is their longevity but I will be finding out soon enough. (btw, I did a recent thread on the Shinko tire) One of the reasons I went with them is they tend to also have the odd sizes where other companies tend to stick with standard sizes. Here's a link to my thread on the Skinko tire:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...150-70x18.html

For balancing my tires I use balance beads. I've found it doesn't really matter which brand since they all do the same thing and don't break down. I've even used the ceramic balance beads. As for the amount, I just dump a 3 ounce bag of them in the front tire before I finish mounting, and 4 ounces for the back. I've even used as much as 4 ounces in the front with no issues.

I have never had any of the High Speed Wobbles some talk about and I do test each tire once I install them, weather and conditions permitting. If you see some old lady on a bagger going better than 100mph, there might be a good chance it would be me testing a tire. :D Generally I ride the posted speed limit or maybe a little above, but I like to know the limits of my bike and tires as a just in case.

I've never had a problem with any Dark Side tires to date and really I don't expect any in the future.

I see you've posted another response while I was working on this one. No biggie.

You could try a 205/55r16 (a little shorter than OEM or a 205/60r16 which is a little taller. My only concern is that with the 205 in either might be too wide and make contact with the drive belt. On my Street Gide the 205/60r16 tires sidewall comes within 3.5mm (1/8th inch) of the drive belt which really is acceptable. Of course you could give either a try!

Kingglide549 02-06-2019 10:42 AM

Bonnie S
You might as well give a performance report here as to how you like the double dirty and please be brutally honest with your riding style.
I for one would appreciate it.
Thanx!

Bonnie Storm 02-06-2019 12:57 PM

@Kingglide549 Honestly I love the ride going double dark provides. It's comfortable like putting on an old pair of shoes. I appreciate the stability and extra stopping power along with it's performance. My riding style tends to be fairly mild to mildly aggressive until I'm alone someplace. Then it turns to crazy aggressive depending on the road conditions. I love the twisties for this purpose and carving up the canyon roads is exhilarating. I'll put it like this, keep up if you can, and try to stay on the road! I've watched many a rider disappear from view because they couldn't keep up or ended up going off the road trying to keep up. Some believe having a 125ci engine makes them a superb rider. Yeah well, my little 96ci will beat most everyone on a cruiser or bagger. First, I'm a lot lighter and I've got better than 50 years of riding under my belt. At one time I split the lanes at 125mph in rush hour traffic to escape some nut in a cage who decided I shouldn't be on the road and took to shooting at me with some hand held firearm. I was riding a cruiser at the time and the chase began about 10 miles outside of Milwaukee Wisconsin. Between 3 to 5 miles out, I ran into rush hour traffic.

When I ride, I mostly use countersteering. The two videos below pretty much show this. The first one (2: minutes in length) I was heading into town for some groceries. That one has been posted in a couple of other threads. The second one (2:36 minutes in length) is of my scrubbing the Shinko tire I had just put on. I had chosen the Blue Ridge Parkway for that purpose. I will only say, the speed limit on the Parkway is generally 45mph. The camper I passed was doing 48mph. That's just a short clip of the ride.

Heading into town:
Scrubbing the Skinko 150/70-18 rear tire on the front:
And a picture of the Skinko about a 3rd of the way being scrubbed which was taken about 10 minutes after the area of the video clip. You will also find my maximum lean angle was 45 degrees! Taller tires you know! :D

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...2ce78c1984.jpg

And for future reference:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...e783422ebf.jpg

Kingglide549 02-06-2019 03:17 PM

Thanx for the report and the video, the motor home scared the hell out of me in the 2ed one!

It was approaching the intersection, and From prior experience, I never presume they will see me or stop.