Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   The Dark Side (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dark-side-167/)
-   -   Switched tires and rims from 2010 SG to 2012 Ultra (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dark-side/1277692-switched-tires-and-rims-from-2010-sg-to-2012-ultra.html)

Bonnie Storm 04-01-2019 10:11 PM

Switched tires and rims from 2010 SG to 2012 Ultra

I had been searching for a decent deal on a set of used rims I could use on my Street Glide and finally came up with a set of non ABS rims from a 2012 Ultra. I had to change out the bearings since mine is ABS and the rear also needed a rotor and bolts. I also replaced the valve stems with 70 degree stems to make it a lot easier to check and add/subtract air when necessary. I basically wanted to use a set for winter and a set for the warmer months since I ride year round. And having two full sets would make changing over a breeze.

On my Street Glides stock rims I was running a Yokohama 205/60r16 for the rear and a Shinko 770 150/70-18 rear tire (reversed) on the front. Both still have plenty of meat left for next winter unless I decide to switch them out for more wintery type tires. I will say I have nothing but good to say about the Shinko tire. It grips well and I have over 3k miles on the tire with seemingly little wear. If y'all recall I had switched out the BT45 Battleaxe I had been running back in October of last year.

For the new to me rims, I am currently running the Kumho Ecsta PA31 195/60r16 for the rear and the Kenda Cruiser K671 150/70-17 (different size rim from the SG) rear tire (reversed) on the front.

I usually like to break my tires in on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but as of late everyone seems to be getting their riding legs back since we had some nice riding days, meaning lots more bikes on the Parkway. Hopefully later this week I can give the tires a good scrubbing (breaking them in) I have put quite a few miles on since the change over, but not how I'd like to really break them in.

For reference for those new to DarkSiding:
The stock tires for the 2010 Street Glide were originally 180/65-18 for the rear and the front was 130/70-18
The stock tires for the 2012 Utra were originally 180/65-18 for the rear and the front was 130/80-17

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...f15ba8a1d2.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...206164e60a.jpg

Bonnie Storm 04-06-2019 07:44 AM

For those wondering why I run a rear motorcycle tire on the front in reverse rotation: Two reasons. First, a rear mc tire has more rubber as in being thicker which means longer wear. (who doesn't want longevity out of their tires?) Two, is because the rain sipes direct the water away from the tire rather than pulling it in towards the middle though there are some who have mounted them the other way without issue. But for me, the way I ride, I prefer not to take the chance of having my tire float over a thin layer of rain water losing any grip it may have had. I've ridden through large rain puddles in a curve and have yet to lose traction. I know another concern would be delamination with a tire running in reversed rotation. I have yet to see or have it happen on any of my tires.

I also prefer wider tires for more road contact. (plus I like fat tires) On the front it may not be very much, but every little bit helps. For my bike the stock tire was 130 and my current and last tire is a 150. I also adjusted the height this time around to match as close to the stock height as I could to keep the speedometer as close to accurate as possible.

If y'all want to check the various sizes for both the front and rear tires, I use the following site for width and height to see how a tire may fit:
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

jessultra 04-07-2019 06:56 AM

looking good bonnie

PFWiz 04-07-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm (Post 18162214)
For those wondering why I run a rear motorcycle tire on the front in reverse rotation: Two reasons. First, a rear mc tire has more rubber as in being thicker which means longer wear. (who doesn't want longevity out of their tires?) Two, is because the rain sipes direct the water away from the tire rather than pulling it in towards the middle though there are some who have mounted them the other way without issue. But for me, the way I ride, I prefer not to take the chance of having my tire float over a thin layer of rain water losing any grip it may have had. I've ridden through large rain puddles in a curve and have yet to lose traction. I know another concern would be delamination with a tire running in reversed rotation. I have yet to see or have it happen on any of my tires.

I also prefer wider tires for more road contact. (plus I like fat tires) On the front it may not be very much, but every little bit helps. For my bike the stock tire was 130 and my current and last tire is a 150. I also adjusted the height this time around to match as close to the stock height as I could to keep the speedometer as close to accurate as possible.

If y'all want to check the various sizes for both the front and rear tires, I use the following site for width and height to see how a tire may fit:
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Bonnie, I am confused are you saying that rear tires installed the designed direction direct water towards the middle? That does not sound right...

elPrez 04-07-2019 07:42 AM

I put 07 Street Glide rims on my 05 Ultra.

Bonnie Storm 04-07-2019 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by PFWiz (Post 18164183)
Bonnie, I am confused are you saying that rear tires installed the designed direction direct water towards the middle? That does not sound right...

If I were to run the rear motorcycle tire on the front in the designed rotation (that arrow on the tire) then the rain sipes would be wrong. Take a look at a stock rear tire either from your bike or someone else's, preferably on the bike and note the direction of the rain sipes. The rear will have the sipes pointed in an upside down V when viewed from the rear. Then imagine that upside down V on the front in the designed rotation. If your looking at it from the front you'll notice the V being right side up. However, if you look at your stock front tire from the front the V is upside down.

Here is a picture of my stock original front tire still on the bike from back in February of 2011 (directly after I ran over a deer) Note the direction of the rain sipes which I indicated with a red line.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...0a618f9124.jpg

Now, look at the rain sipes on my last motorcycle tire installed on my bike indicated by the red line. This is a rear tire mounted in reverse on the front.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...f56a0fa441.jpg
Had I mounted it as the rear tire using the directional arrow imprinted on the sidewall of the tire you would find the pattern would have the V right side up. So the basic idea is to mimic the manufacturers front mounted tires direction. By reversing the rotation of the rear tire to mount on the front (mounting it backwards) you'd find it matches the direction the rain sipes go in compared to the stock tire.

We all know our tires are designed for the best grip possible and in being able to achieve this also means rain needs to be pushed away from the tire for optimal control. Manufacturers understand this and design tires to best achieve the removal of the water beneath the tire in their design of the rain sipes. Keep in mind a motorcycle tire is different than a car tire in the respect that we have lean angles to contend with so each tire is designed individually. A rear tire for the rear, and a front tire for the front. Even though both tires are traveling in the same direction at a given time, the characteristics of each are different for the best grip and rain removal. If the rain is pulled towards the center of the rear tire, this would result in hydroplaning and if the rain is pulled towards the center of the tire in front, it would result in loss of control. This is why the direction of the rain sipes is important.

So when your mounting a rear tire on the front (without going into physics) but mounting it in reverse your replicating the direction of the rain sipes of the stock front tire to take advantage of the design. So let me ask you this: Here's the scenario. You're cruising down the interstate at 80mph and it started to rain heavily with no place for you to safely get out of the rain. Never mind all the vehicles behind you or along side. Your in the left lane. The road has turned into a sheet of water. Which front tire would you rather have, one that pushes the water away from the tire allowing you to maintain control of your bike, or one that draws the water to the center of the tire keeping the tire from making contact with the road or in essence floating down the road where you have no control?

To simplify, mount a rear tire on the front with the rain sipes matching the original front tire on the front. Think upside down V and forget the imprinted directional arrow on the side of the tire. That's for IF it's run on the rear. Everything changes once it's on the front. In other words match the V!

If I could find a car tire to match my front rims (SG or Ultra) it would be on my bike. If the tire was directional, it would also be mounted in reverse. Bi-directional, it wouldn't make a difference. :D

Bonnie Storm 04-07-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by elPrez (Post 18164240)
I put 07 Street Glide rims on my 05 Ultra.

In a way that's funny because I went the other way. But, the original owner of the Ultra Rims I switched to had also switched over to Street Glide rims on his Ultra!

PFWiz 04-07-2019 12:24 PM

Bonnie, not trying to give you a hard time, because I think you are great, but I really don't see it that way.
I understand what you are saying about the stock front, but now think about a stock rear tire mounted on a virgin bike. It was designed and installed to pump water from the center to the edges to prevent hydroplaning. I think we can all agree on that. If that is true then turning 180 degrees along the vertical axis will cause it to move the water to center. The tire does not know or care if it is on the front or rear of the bike it is tire. It can only work one way.
I spent a lot of time pondering this before I went double dark on the old RGU.
This is just the way I see it...

tnriverluver 04-07-2019 12:30 PM

Dunlop actually recommended running the tire in the opposite direction on some of their tires because of the water issue. They had them marked to where the water would be forced into the center of the tire instead of outward.

Uncle Larry 04-07-2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tnriverluver (Post 18164902)
Dunlop actually recommended running the tire in the opposite direction on some of their tires because of the water issue. They had them marked to where the water would be forced into the center of the tire instead of outward.

Boy ... I'd have to see that to believe it ... Just sayin'