The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Gone to the Dark Side - Ongoing Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by propflux01
My question is what is the current best 195/60 tire to install with this, and where do you guys get these installed? I do not have tire tools and such, I do have a lift and can get the wheel off no issue. Its taking it down and getting it installed that I seem to have issues with, No one wants to touch it, as I get the "its to dangerous to run it like that, we don't mount them because of this" routine. I'm getting close on my rear and want to go this route but...

Thanx, Tim
Just hit your local Hispanic tire shop. That is the only place I go when I need plugs/patches/etc. They never ask questions and do a better job!

The most they will do is shrug their shoulders and proceed to talk **** about you in Spanish.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:13 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

2016RGU. I was on a ride with 11 other bikes a few weekends ago, running left sweeper. We were running along about 60 on a divided highway, approaching a light. It turned yellow and was stale before the lead bike was in the intersection. Suddenly the lead left bike tapped his brakes. Two bikes behind him locked up and went down with the riders ending up a couple feet into the intersection. I applied hand brake and stopped several bike lengths short of the intersection without locking the brakes or even tire squeal. In previous hard brake applications, the rear tire really holds the ground and brings the bike to a stop with amazing control.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:21 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 262 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt990724
Just hit your local Hispanic tire shop. That is the only place I go when I need plugs/patches/etc. They never ask questions and do a better job!

The most they will do is shrug their shoulders and proceed to talk **** about you in Spanish.
Unfortunately, we don't have any of those around here.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by propflux01
Unfortunately, we don't have any of those around here.
I smell a business opportunity!!!

Old 10-07-2017, 05:51 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Metric dealers

Try all of the metric dealers in your town. Locally, the Honda dealer won't touch a car tire, but the Yamawama dealer has no problems with it. He charges a different price to do it every time ($20 to $30), but that includes balancing.

Just buying dyna beads or Ride-On is pretty pricey too, so I don't complain about the price.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:06 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
Try all of the metric dealers in your town. Locally, the Honda dealer won't touch a car tire, but the Yamawama dealer has no problems with it. He charges a different price to do it every time ($20 to $30), but that includes balancing.

Just buying dyna beads or Ride-On is pretty pricey too, so I don't complain about the price.
The ride on is going in regardless, I am using it currently. I just happened to look at their website earlier, and saw that they make like 9 different kinds, specifically tailored to each type of vehicle, car, bi truck, bike, bicycle, etc. They claim each one has a specific use. So.. Do i use the ride on Bike, or car? or mix em both? Decisions, decisions!!

I can just imagine taking my setup into a Harley dealer and asking them to balance it!

I wil call around and see. I've called about 6 different places so far. I'm running out of options.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:24 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default DS tire

If you are going with a runflat, they are a b*tch to change by hand. If not, just pick up a set of spoons and do it yourself.

Build a 2X4 frame that your rotor can fit into. Changing the tire by hand is pretty easy if you can get the bead broke on both sides of the rim. I built a bead breaker out of 2X4's and door hinges. Look on youtube to get some idea's on how to do it.

I see you are in Arkansas. The Yamaha dealer in Fort Smith is the one I always used. I've got a manual machine set up now so I can even do RF's myself so I haven't used them in a while.

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 09:26 PM
propflux01
Road Master

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
If you are going with a runflat, they are a b*tch to change by hand. If not, just pick up a set of spoons and do it yourself.

Build a 2X4 frame that your rotor can fit into. Changing the tire by hand is pretty easy if you can get the bead broke on both sides of the rim. I built a bead breaker out of 2X4's and door hinges. Look on youtube to get some idea's on how to do it.

I see you are in Arkansas. The Yamaha dealer in Fort Smith is the one I always used. I've got a manual machine set up now so I can even do RF's myself so I haven't used them in a while.

Good luck
Haven't really thought much about the run flat. No one here seems to have a tire favourite, so considering a couple I have seen elsewhere. Yes, Central Arkansastan. We used to have yami dealer here but it folded up and left. And the onlty other ones I know wouldn't care if I mounted a blow up doll on it are pout of Biz also.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:59 AM
fxdwg4me
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for help here. Heard a lot of talk about going to the dark side for a long time. I put a lot of miles on my bike so thought this would help the pocket book a long with the ride performance.I put in a lot of research on which tire to go with. I recently put a 205-55ZR16SL 91W G-Max AS-03 on my 13 RGU. with less than 500 miles on it I am not impressed. Have been playing with the air pressure and cannot get rid of High speed (80 Plus) death wobble. currently running 48 psi I started at 30 psi and worked my way up. Cornering is better at the higher pressure but running straight down the highway is a scary bitch at times. Just looking for help on what I might be missing. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:00 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Default CAR tire...

Originally Posted by fxdwg4me
Looking for help here. Heard a lot of talk about going to the dark side for a long time. I put a lot of miles on my bike so thought this would help the pocket book a long with the ride performance.I put in a lot of research on which tire to go with. I recently put a 205-55ZR16SL 91W G-Max AS-03 on my 13 RGU. with less than 500 miles on it I am not impressed. Have been playing with the air pressure and cannot get rid of High speed (80 Plus) death wobble. currently running 48 psi I started at 30 psi and worked my way up. Cornering is better at the higher pressure but running straight down the highway is a scary bitch at times. Just looking for help on what I might be missing. Thank you in advance.
think there is a reason it's call a "car" tire ....and the other is a "motorcycle" tire....

just sayin ' !!!!

Quick Reply: Gone to the Dark Side - Ongoing Review