The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Gone to the Dark Side - Ongoing Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 PM
WildGoat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taxi tire on 03 Electra Glide Classic

I tried to go over to the Dark Side last fall. I bought the 195 Taxi Tire that the Darkside info page said was the tire I needed for my year and model and chatting with some guys on FB. I can tell you, it was not. I only had it on for less than a mile when I could smell burning rubber. Now mind you, I absolutely loved the way my bike handled, what I didn't think so much about was the tire rubbing on my drive belt. When we first put the tire on we could see that I didn't have much fender clearance anywhere but it improved a tiny bit when we aired it up. It is my fault that we didn't see it touching the belt before riding it. I was just so excited when we got it mounted and seated. So, my question is this, Who can tell me what tire I need for a stock 2003 100th Anniversary Electra Glide Classic?

Last edited by WildGoat; 10-08-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-08-2018, 10:37 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

The CT profile looks a lot like how I remember the Goodyear Eagles (?) looked on my brand new 1977 FXE. The tires were pretty square then as best I can recall. The fronts were mostly rounded profile with ribs. That Goodyear tire wore well but had poor traction on wet pavement.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:25 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Michelin Premier A/S 205/55x16 - $50

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
I've got Power Vision that will adjust the speedo. That's said, which one - was thinking 205 / 55 x 16 V rated Michelin Premier A/S.
I gave the Darkside my first try and liked everything about it except running twisties up Hwy 243 to Idyllwild, CA on my 2013 FLHTK Limited.
That said i have a Michelin Premier A/S 205/55x16 91V with 300 miles on it for sale - $50 you pick it up in Banning,CA. Not knocking the
Darkside - just not my cup of tea.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Morpheusdead
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave the Darkside my first try and liked everything about it except running twisties up Hwy 243 to Idyllwild, CA on my 2013 FLHTK Limited.
That said i have a Michelin Premier A/S 205/55x16 91V with 300 miles on it for sale - $50 you pick it up in Banning,CA. Not knocking the
Darkside - just not my cup of tea.
Are you familiar with Counter steering? Please tell me you weren't just leaning your bike. with the use of counter steering darkside is no different than an mc tire really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Even more so than on a bicycle, deliberately countersteering is essential for safe motorcycle riding, and as a result is generally a part of safe riding courses run by organisations like the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, the Canada Safety Council, or Australian Q-Ride providers. Deliberately countersteering a motorcycle is a much more efficient way to steer than to just lean. At higher speeds the self-balancing property of the bike gets stronger, and more force must be applied to the handlebars.

Much of the art of motorcycle cornering is learning how to effectively push the grips into corners and how to maintain proper lean angles through the turn. When the need for a quick swerve to one side suddenly arises in an emergency, it is essential to know, through prior practice, that countersteering is the most efficient way to change the motorcycle's course. Many accidents result when otherwise experienced riders who have never carefully developed this skill encounter an unexpected obstacle.

To encourage an understanding of the phenomena around countersteering, the phrase positive steering is sometimes used.
Other phrases are "PRESS – To turn, the motorcycle must lean", "To lean the motorcycle, press on the handgrip in the direction of the turn" or "Press left – lean left – go left".

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation teaches countersteering to all students in all of its schools, as do all motorcycle racing schools. Countersteering is included in United States state motorcycle operator manuals and tests, such as Washington, New Jersey, California,and Missouri.

I'm sure you do just checking is all. I have always darksided on my big touring bikes and i twisty with the best no problem.

Last edited by Morpheusdead; 10-09-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Though I've posted this video elsewhere (OT) I think it's suitable here. It is a short clip, 2 minutes long, of me riding into town. I'm riding double dark (CT in the rear, and rear MT in the front rotating in reverse) Counter steering? I think I have that down pat, but I didn't learn it through any course like the MSF. I learned it long before I was even licensed and taught myself.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Countersteering

Originally Posted by Morpheusdead
Are you familiar with Counter steering? Please tell me you weren't just leaning your bike. with the use of counter steering darkside is no different than an mc tire really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Even more so than on a bicycle, deliberately countersteering is essential for safe motorcycle riding, and as a result is generally a part of safe riding courses run by organisations like the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, the Canada Safety Council, or Australian Q-Ride providers. Deliberately countersteering a motorcycle is a much more efficient way to steer than to just lean. At higher speeds the self-balancing property of the bike gets stronger, and more force must be applied to the handlebars.

Much of the art of motorcycle cornering is learning how to effectively push the grips into corners and how to maintain proper lean angles through the turn. When the need for a quick swerve to one side suddenly arises in an emergency, it is essential to know, through prior practice, that countersteering is the most efficient way to change the motorcycle's course. Many accidents result when otherwise experienced riders who have never carefully developed this skill encounter an unexpected obstacle.

To encourage an understanding of the phenomena around countersteering, the phrase positive steering is sometimes used.
Other phrases are "PRESS – To turn, the motorcycle must lean", "To lean the motorcycle, press on the handgrip in the direction of the turn" or "Press left – lean left – go left".

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation teaches countersteering to all students in all of its schools, as do all motorcycle racing schools. Countersteering is included in United States state motorcycle operator manuals and tests, such as Washington, New Jersey, California,and Missouri.

I'm sure you do just checking is all. I have always darksided on my big touring bikes and i twisty with the best no problem.

I use countersteering all the time in the twisties. Tried several air pressures but just don't like the edge falloff and the rear straight
directional push that I experienced in turns. I'm not knocking the darkside - just not for me through personal experience. More
wobble and weave was also easier for me to induce with rapid deceleration and turning moves at highway speeds. Btw - tnx for
the educational info that this 77 yo life long rider might have missed along the way. Ever try the darkside on a track day? lol.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Morpheusdead
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use countersteering all the time in the twisties. Tried several air pressures but just don't like the edge falloff and the rear straight
directional push that I experienced in turns. I'm not knocking the darkside - just not for me through personal experience. More
wobble and weave was also easier for me to induce with rapid deceleration and turning moves at highway speeds. Btw - tnx for
the educational info that this 77 yo life long rider might have missed along the way. Ever try the darkside on a track day? lol.

Yep, that's where I learned to counter steer myself actually. I raced professionally in CMRA for years before giving it up at the request of my wife.

(raced motocross also are as a youngster. But that's a whole different ball game.)

Old 10-19-2018, 09:46 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,562 Likes on 5,154 Posts

With a factory tire of 180/65B16 would a 195/60R16 be a better option . It is the same height as the stock tire and only .6 wider. My case is a little different it would be on a RGU with sidecar mounted. Different animal than two wheels
My concern is fit.
Three sizes I am looking at
205/55R16
195/55r16
195/60R16

Old 10-20-2018, 06:46 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Well you guys have totally hijacked my thread.......

Old 10-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Well you guys have totally hijacked my thread.......
Ooops, Y'all have my apologies though it wasn't intentional, yet I was a participant!

Quick Reply: Gone to the Dark Side - Ongoing Review