The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Vance & Hines FP3 or Dealership dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

My two cents is to get the FP3, especially if you don't plan on doing any other engine mods. Airflow is a small adjustment and getting rid of the lean canned MAP that is only meant to meet EPA standards I think the FP3 will do a good job of doing those two while also getting you access to the ECM information that will get you educated on how the ECM works. Once you are familiar with it, it will allow you to build a few custom MAPS or adjust you mapping if you are going to do some specialized riding.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:52 AM
Justin727
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
Fp3 is a good concept and really does work well inside its limits. I am not an expert on bike tuning but I have had plenty of cars dyno tuned to know that the factory narrow band sensors have a limited view/range on what they are capable of tuning. Any hard throttle will push the map into open loop which runs the computer on a predetermined tune which means your bike is running on a tune that is only as good as the guy wrote it without seeing your bike.
Does this mean that, in order to get the most out of your (upgraded) exhaust, intake and tuner that you should replace the factory o2 sensors?

Old 04-22-2016, 06:11 AM
Justin727
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=cgmartine;14957945]oleboy, I don't mean to start an argument with you, but when someone spends some twenty thousand dollars on a bike, I would think we should demand, or at least expect, that it would run like a fine tuned machine right out of the box without having to send it back for a dyno. I would not expect any less from a car I bought, so why would I expect any less from a new motorcycle? Or is it that our expectations have been lowered when it comes to a Harley-Davidson product? Twenty thousand may be peanuts when compared with the cost of a dyno, but why would I dyno a brand new bike, unless of course, I totally changed all the basic equipment it came with so that it no longer works or resembles what came out of the factory? No offense, just my two cents!![/QUOT

Just my but the reason that a dyno tune is necessary has nothing to do with a lack of quality or decrease in quality on Harley Davidson's part. It is due to increased regulations set forth by the EPA. These bikes are coming out of the factory ultra lean in order to be EPA compliant. For most of us, lean is not what we want and really restricts the bike from running how it should. A quick way to fix that is to get rid of the catted head pipes and have it tuned.

I purchased a 2015 SGS last spring and have slip on V&H OS 450s on it. I hate the thought of spending $1,500+ to do head pipes, cams, tuner, and professional dyno tune but seems to me that it is money well spent if it will make my $20k+ machine run how I want it to.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:52 AM
tcdillon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hav 2015 ultra kick it around for awhile past bikes did the cam thing dyno this time went with the fp3 bike runs alot cooler used to be 235 on a warm day now 214 bike runs great did the auto tune I dont ride on paper I ride on the road

Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Neither

Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

I had my custom bike dyno tuned and it ran great! When I bought my new bike I went with a FP3 here is why.

If using V&h pipes and its a stage one only . It is a map from a dyno. From the same type bike with the same pipes. So the map is very close without your new bike being taken to red line 80 times.....

Also that tune is only as good as the guy tuning it.. I don't know about you, but the more I talk to the mechanics around here, the more I work on my own bike!!!! just my 2cts from all the **** I went though with so called mechanics ..... {Sorry had to fix some spelling I shouldn't drink and post}....swifty

Last edited by swifty; 04-23-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM
rjwin
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
If it alters the PN of the factory download, that is all the proof they need. You would have to name the flash from the FP to the same PN as the factory download.
I wonder if remapping to the stock setup and removing the FP3 would do it. The service department told me the ECM stores all trouble codes during the history of the motorcycle. I wonder if it stores changes to the map as well.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Although the FP3 has a couple of advantages, there's no replacement for a proper complete Dyno tune. The FP3 can get you relatively close to where the tune needs to be but the dynometer will get it where the engine is running at it's optimum.
Very true! But it really depends on how good the dealers Dyno guy is! This time around im going with the FP3 or similar tuner! Id rather be relatively close then get a bad tune. When i had my Night train i sprung for the money and had V&H big shots installed with the high flow air cleaner at the dealer and they Dyno tuned it. I wasn't happy with the results back then at all. a lot of black smoke coming from the exhaust and tons of decel popping. So it really is hit or miss with the dealers. With the FP3 Every time i make a MOD change i can go back in and retune and tweak. More do it yourself hands on. Looking to go Arlen Ness inverted air cleaner with FP3 and full exhaust of some kind this time around. Might go with Bassani Firseweep.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:53 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwin
I wonder if remapping to the stock setup and removing the FP3 would do it. The service department told me the ECM stores all trouble codes during the history of the motorcycle. I wonder if it stores changes to the map as well.
It only knows part number, if you name the new map the same PN as the stock map, they won't know. If you want to be sure, putting the stock map will do it.

The following users liked this post:
71on72 (01-08-2018)
Old 04-30-2016, 06:59 AM
Hitch2016
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with UHDhog, Jay Guild, and swiftly, opting to purchase a tuner (PV was my choice) over a dealer dyno tune, for all the reasons they stated, and moreover in my case because I'm "type 1"... There are two types of people here: Type 1 people are do-it-yourselfers, prefer and are confident (or at least willing to learn) to do their own work on their bikes. Type 2 people don't want to dirty their hands, have no desire to work on their bikes and in most cases have no mechanic abilities... The OP must decide which type person he is, then the choice will be clear.

Quick Reply: No Device: Vance & Hines FP3 or Dealership dyno tune