The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Vance & Hines FP3 or Dealership dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Type 3 person is the type that wants to spend their free time riding their bike and not data logging and studying autotune. There's room for all of us.

The following users liked this post:
Sedonastrider (10-29-2017)
Old 04-30-2016, 09:09 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

Data logging and studying autotune are a new form of turning a wrench.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
Data logging and studying autotune are a new form of turning a wrench.
Exactly correct, but like a good friend (and shop owner) said on the ph ok be last night. "Most all of my customers have the capability to change their oil, but they still pay me to do it"

Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Type 4 is someone who wants their mods to perform flawlessly so they get the very best tradesmen to do the work.

16 time world champ John Force hired Alan Johnson to tutor a CC and John's daughter to try and win a TFD world title

Sedonastrider (10-29-2017)
Old 07-30-2016, 08:54 PM
Nitro-Fish
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
Type 3 person is the type that wants to spend their free time riding their bike and not data logging and studying autotune. There's room for all of us.
Maybe these guys should chat up the guy that was on the drum when I came in this morning; he seemed pretty happy with the gains you got him over the FP3! First hand experience from the end user is a sure way to clear up the confusion.

Wide Open Cycles (07-31-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 10:18 PM
Nitro-Fish
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't realize this was already up:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...en-cycles.html

Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nitro-Fish
Maybe these guys should chat up the guy that was on the drum when I came in this morning; he seemed pretty happy with the gains you got him over the FP3! First hand experience from the end user is a sure way to clear up the confusion.
That's the point, the customer ran some autotunes, was somewhat happy with the results, brought the bike in to verify the tune and his efforts. After we saw how far the tune was,still off, he made the decision that he didn't want to spend more time auto tuning. End of the day, my customer was happy, and that's really what it's all about right?

Old 12-31-2016, 07:09 AM
rrogerio
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
If you are happy with it, that's all that matters. If it were mine, I would take it to a tuner and get the tune right.
I would say if you have the $$$ and a good Dyno tech, it's well worth it, I am not very experienced with the FP3, but I used to use the FP until I Dynoed my beast.. I am attaching the sheet here, first run was done with the FP installed (Red) and (Blue) was after FP was removed and bike was tuned on a Dyno. not only the numbers show the difference, but riding a 400mi trip after that the bike is just much better all around (ohh, magic dyno guy removed almost all my backfiring issues. He was actually upset that he couldn't get rid of one that comes now very rarely)

2008 FXDF Stock 96ci Motor + V&H Big Radius 2-1 and Arlen Ness Stage-1 BS. AC (been focusing mostly on suspension mods lately)

Cheers !!!

Old 10-14-2017, 01:51 PM
HDSlimJim
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Although the FP3 has a couple of advantages, there's no replacement for a proper complete Dyno tune. The FP3 can get you relatively close to where the tune needs to be but the dynometer will get it where the engine is running at it's optimum.
Cycle shop was offering free DYNO checks of bikes...they gave you a basic print out for free...nearly every bike was improperly tuned; even the guys with FP3 and other tuners...biggest problem was running too lean at mid/high rpm...those tuners, or the users, just couldn't get it right apparently.

I'm no expert on this, but from what I've seen, it's best to modify the bike exactly how you want it, then take it to someone with a DYNO and the knowledge to properly use it.

Old 12-07-2017, 02:00 PM
dynarider1821
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You saved me $40

Originally Posted by wparente
After 150 miles of FP3 auto-tune my stage 1 is running like a champ. I have a small amount of decel popping left to tune out otherwise no complaints. I plan on leaving it on for a few hundred more mile and then calling it quits. I couldn't be happier with the FP3. Purchased at HogPro for less than Amazon with expedited shipping.

Sorry, I know this is an old thread but I was looking for ides on where to get the FP3 at the best price. Most are selling it for $399, Amazon has it currently for $359, HOGPRO has it for $319 free shipping. I was going to buy from Amazon until I read your post - SO THANKS! If you're ever in Austin let me know, I'll buy ya a beer