The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Vance & Hines FP3 or Dealership dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:16 AM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vance & Hines FP3 or Dealership dyno tune

Hey guys! I'm getting closer to picking up my new Wide Glide next month. (fingers crossed and praying) I have a few questions for you guys before I get it. I want to get rid of those weed eater exhaust ASAP, they just ain't right I think I want to go with the Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 and an undecided air cleaner, and I don't know if I want to go with the Vance and Hines FP3 with the autotune feature for $399 and have the ability to view and tweak everthing on my phone via bluetooth or have the dealership tune the bike on their dyno for $???? and not have the ability to view or tweak anything without going to the dealership. I know what the dealership wants me to do, but what do you guys think? I'm sure the FP3 will be more cost effective, but I am unsure what the dealership charges for their tuner plus the dyno tune. Also, is it common for the dealership to possibly throw in a few accessories for the bike for free when negotiating the deal? lol

Old 02-22-2016, 12:02 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

First find out how much the dealer charges for their tuner and the dyno session. It just might help you make up your mind.
And just because they have a dyno does not mean they have a skilled dyno operator/tuner. Look into their rep as a tuner before you fork over the cash.
Congrats on the new bike. Some dealers will throw in a tshirt or two or a discount for parts, etc. It varies, you just have to ask.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 PM
LEEROYWILLY
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I have heard good things about their dyno guy, but I really like the idea of having all the real time info on my phone with the FP3. Man I'm so indecisive lol.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:01 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Although the FP3 has a couple of advantages, there's no replacement for a proper complete Dyno tune. The FP3 can get you relatively close to where the tune needs to be but the dynometer will get it where the engine is running at it's optimum.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:26 AM
Heisenbucks
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with the FP3 its on amazon for $309

Old 02-23-2016, 05:22 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by LEEROYWILLY
Hey guys! I'm getting closer to picking up my new Wide Glide next month. (fingers crossed and praying) I have a few questions for you guys before I get it. I want to get rid of those weed eater exhaust ASAP, they just ain't right I think I want to go with the Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 and an undecided air cleaner, and I don't know if I want to go with the Vance and Hines FP3 with the autotune feature for $399 and have the ability to view and tweak everthing on my phone via bluetooth or have the dealership tune the bike on their dyno for $???? and not have the ability to view or tweak anything without going to the dealership. I know what the dealership wants me to do, but what do you guys think? I'm sure the FP3 will be more cost effective, but I am unsure what the dealership charges for their tuner plus the dyno tune. Also, is it common for the dealership to possibly throw in a few accessories for the bike for free when negotiating the deal? lol
Food for thought, you mention you know what the dealership wants you to do. Now if you're talking a new bike with a warranty, what will your dealer do when they find you did a FP3 vs do what they recommended? Some dealers will have an ax to grind and call HD to report the person who put the unauthorized tuning device on their warrantied ride. HD will reward you by flagging your powertrain warranty.

The following users liked this post:
ngtcrlr1964 (04-14-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 09:58 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Although the FP3 has a couple of advantages, there's no replacement for a proper complete Dyno tune. The FP3 can get you relatively close to where the tune needs to be but the dynometer will get it where the engine is running at it's optimum.
Good advice!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:49 PM
wparente
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

After 150 miles of FP3 auto-tune my stage 1 is running like a champ. I have a small amount of decel popping left to tune out otherwise no complaints. I plan on leaving it on for a few hundred more mile and then calling it quits. I couldn't be happier with the FP3. Purchased at HogPro for less than Amazon with expedited shipping.

The following 2 users liked this post by wparente:
Bill Weisner (03-31-2018), dynarider1821 (12-07-2017)
Old 03-15-2016, 10:58 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by wparente
After 150 miles of FP3 auto-tune my stage 1 is running like a champ. I have a small amount of decel popping left to tune out otherwise no complaints. I plan on leaving it on for a few hundred more mile and then calling it quits. I couldn't be happier with the FP3. Purchased at HogPro for less than Amazon with expedited shipping.
If you are happy with it, that's all that matters. If it were mine, I would take it to a tuner and get the tune right.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

Fp3 is a good concept and really does work well inside its limits. I am not an expert on bike tuning but I have had plenty of cars dyno tuned to know that the factory narrow band sensors have a limited view/range on what they are capable of tuning. Any hard throttle will push the map into open loop which runs the computer on a predetermined tune which means your bike is running on a tune that is only as good as the guy wrote it without seeing your bike.

Quick Reply: No Device: Vance & Hines FP3 or Dealership dyno tune