The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro Black

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:08 PM
sphillips3
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FI2000 series "auto tunes" by measuring the crankshaft acceleration when you wind on the throttle. It adjusts the fuel injector pulse width to optimize the amount of fuel for maximum acceleration for the current throttle setting. It only actually "tunes" when you are accelerating. So, when operating a steady state (e.g. cruising on the highway) it reverts back to a default map. I have the previous (non-bluetooth) version on my 2010 Limited and noticed a reduction in range for highway cruising - I talked to Cobra and they pointed out the undocumented adjustment inside the unit to adjust the steady state fuel delivery and I got my mileage back without losing the improvement in throttle response on acceleration. The app will allow you to do the same thing without having to pop the cover off the unit, as well as give you data on how the system is operating.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:07 PM
HDJaco
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been very happy with its performance thus far. No more pinging, crisp throttle response. I have not checked the fuel economy yet but it does not seem to be off...

Old 09-20-2016, 03:06 PM
tacarms
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No love for PowrPro Black in 2000 Road King

Originally Posted by tacarms
I been in contact with Cobra tech support. They have been slow to respond. First they kept trying to diagnose the bluetooth only working sometimes. Blamed the app. I let them know I didn't care about bluetooth. I wanted the bike to run right. Then they kept trying to tell me the bike had an ignition or fuel problem. They said to remove the powrpro and then fix the bike problem. I removed the powrpro and the problems stopped. I let them know and emailed a copy of my receipt. After a couple of days they issued me an RMA to send it back to be tested. He said if it tested bad, they would either fix it or send me a new one. If it tested fine, they would send it back to me as is. Just getting it shipped off. The saga continues.
Another update: Although a bit delayed.
Cobra setup an RMA for send my PowrPro Black back for diags. They said if they found a problem, they would fix it or replace the unit. If no problem was found, they would return it to me. I received the unit back from Cobra after about 2-3 weeks. I didn't have a chance to (re)install it until this past weekend. they returned my original unit with a note saying it passed all tests. Immediately after pulling out of the drive, it started missing on one of the cylinders. It didn't clear up. Just an intermittent cut out. After a mile or so, back to the shop. I removed the PowrPro and the bike runs fine again. I emailed Cobra to see if they would send me a test unit or a used one just to try. Either I do have a bad unit or this thing just doesn't work on a 2000 Road King. If they don't do anything more, it looks like I'm out $500. I'm not real happy right now. Hopefully, Cobra will work with me and we can get it sorted out.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Just Nick
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Ouch that hurts. Can you sell this "magic Box" to another victim and get your bike done correctly By having a Competent Dyno tuner Tune your bike.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Pranqster
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by shovhd
Hear anything yet? Just installed on my 2013 WG and so far so good. Can't seem to get the Bluetooth to connect to my cell phone though....
I recieved my power pro black a few days ago. I have a 2003 road king. They claim it's install and go. Well I installed and went then had to come back home. I installed the app and made a few adjustments to no avail. First off there is no connection code for the blue tooth so I had to manipulate the phone. What I mean by that is while the code box was up I had to then go to the app and work fast because it would stay connected for a brief time. So in short out of the box my bike ran like crap. Called customer service and was treated like an absolute moron. I'm yanking this piece of crap off and sending it back. I can never understand why a customer is ever treated badly. If it weren't for us they would have nothing. I would have been more than happy to keep trying if they had better customer service. Justin was the techs name. Get someone else if you call.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Pranqster
3rd Gear

Another update: Although a bit delayed.
Cobra setup an RMA for send my PowrPro Black back for diags. They said if they found a problem, they would fix it or replace the unit. If no problem was found, they would return it to me. I received the unit back from Cobra after about 2-3 weeks. I didn't have a chance to (re)install it until this past weekend. they returned my original unit with a note saying it passed all tests. Immediately after pulling out of the drive, it started missing on one of the cylinders. It didn't clear up. Just an intermittent cut out. After a mile or so, back to the shop. I removed the PowrPro and the bike runs fine again. I emailed Cobra to see if they would send me a test unit or a used one just to try. Either I do have a bad unit or this thing just doesn't work on a 2000 Road King. If they don't do anything more, it looks like I'm out $500. I'm not real happy right now. Hopefully, Cobra will work with me and we can get it sorted out.
I had the exact same issue on my 2003 road king. I was told the same thing about sending it back. The tech Justin asked if I made any adjustments to the unit, I said there aren't any. I told him I installed the app and tried that way he said you just said you didn't. I said on the physical unit there aren't any you didn't ask if I had the app. The dude was an ***. A friend of mine told me about this unit. I was hesitant to install it because my bike ran great. An accasional hickup when leaving a stop light but that's it. I payed 379 for mine. Sucks that we fall for this crap. I have actually never seen any real evedance that there are performance enhancements with this. I wonder if it's a placebo effect? Or our Road kings are just so bad-*** it doesn't need this crap on them..

Old 11-02-2016, 11:33 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Marketing, marketing, marketing!
This way of selling snake oil has been the success story of crap that doesn't work as claimed since marketing was coined.
Bob

Old 06-07-2017, 11:04 PM
Nathan Hazenstab
Stage I

I just installed the PowrPro Black on my 2000 Road King. It is missing at idle and at speed. I emailed Cobra about the problem. Waiting to hear back.
Im having the same problem with my 2011 street glide
were they able to resolve your issues?

Old 07-04-2017, 10:52 PM
08police
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I also have the cobra power pro on an 08 Electra glide. I should receive my new Dynojet pwervision by friday. That's my opinion of the unit.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:47 PM
08police
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I finally ditched the cobra powerpro and went with the Dyno jet powervision. Wow what a difference. I rode the bike to work and could tell that it ran better and way more crisp.