The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: VCI map locked by dyno tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 AM
jdscycle
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad that you were sent a copy of your map.
I agree with everyone that it is important to give a copy of the finished tune to the customer, this way they have the ability to make adjustments when they feel like a change is needed. This saves me time too when guidance is needed for the customer.
All bikes have a different need for mapping, so sharing is not a concern for me. Plus, most people don't want to mess with their tuning and that's why they come to us for this work.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (12-19-2017)
Old 02-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

He just unplugged the VCI from the bike while it was saving the map to the VCI - kind of a dick move.

In reality - it's YOUR map - you paid him to write it for YOU.

Actually, that is why we decided to write the maps to the VCI when we developed SEPST - so customers could have their maps with them at all times.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-04-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
He just unplugged the VCI from the bike while it was saving the map to the VCI - kind of a dick move.

Actually, that is why we decided to write the maps to the VCI when we developed SEPST - so customers could have their maps with them at all times.
So you worked with Cole or afterwards?

Old 02-06-2018, 11:30 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger

There's 2 way to look at it and I see both sides. One is you paid for a MAP and should have access 2 it, the other is that you paid for a tuned bike and got it.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:31 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
If he had a hand with the SEPST that would of been after, TTS developed the SERT for HD

Old 02-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I worked with Steve during the SERT and then after the SE category manager went to SPX, I worked with them. I pushed for writing the map to a chip on the SEPST because we constantly had people who paid for a map on trips without their maps or finding incomplete parts of the tune - they would then get charged for a complete re-do if they didn't receive their map from the shop.

I wrote the VE calculating spreadsheet that was supplied on the software.

I wrote and taught the dyno curriculum at the Motor Company for many years. In that time I worked with Steve, V&H, Star Racing (George & Jakcie Bryce AWESOME PEOPLE), Frank Hawley, DynoJet and many more - all great experiences.

The reality is that people are constantly using different combinations - no one went broke from giving a customer their map - 99% of them would never try to download it anyway. It would be different if you were developing a map for a manufacturer who was going to sell a package - then just charge a fee accordingly. But really - think about every bike out there - how many are truly identical between all the groups of people riding. A case can always be made for a custom map when perf. work is done.

I always liked working with Steve. When I wanted to address / incorporate features he was always willing and when he had ideas I would push for them as well to the SE category. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steve. Plus, he's a nice guy.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-06-2018 at 12:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ed Ramberger:
FLTRI17 (02-10-2018), Max Headflow (02-06-2018), rigidthumper (02-17-2018)