Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   The Dyno Room (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dyno-room-190/)
-   -   TTS: Milwaukee 8 Testing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-dyno-room/1133365-milwaukee-8-testing.html)

Steve Cole 08-24-2016 06:12 PM

Milwaukee 8 Testing

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a "Flight Recorder" file of a short (18 min.) test ride of the New 2017 FLTR 107. If you unzip this file you can view it with the standard TTS DataMaster program. We should start programming them late this week early next week and developing calibrations for them if things keep going well for us.

Enjoy

Steve Cole 08-25-2016 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the 2017 Road King 107 Oil Cooled "Flight Recorder" file. As before your going to need to unzip the file and view with DataMaster.

After riding these, I can say they are a little snappier than the old 103 but still have room for improvement. The lower idle means you have to be careful when letting the clutch out. The transmission is quieter and goes into first gear nicer but it still gets tied up when slowing to a stop and a double clutch is still needed the same as the older bikes. It feels like the clutch pull is a little stiffer than before but not uncomfortable. I feel that they must be running hotter than before, as the EITMS on the oil cooled model comes on fairly quickly when riding in town in mid 70 degree weather, but it could be just set to come on more often. All in all the engine is quieter but I feel like they gave it a little more exhaust note. Nothing loud by any means but different than the older models. Get a few more miles on them both then into the dyno and start working on tuning them.

Steve Cole 08-25-2016 10:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Decided it was great weather for riding (78 deg) so I took off on the Road King and got the miles on the engine I wanted to have and then toss it up on the dyno tonight. The results are one chart in 4th gear where the ECM cuts the motor back at about 5900 and then another set in 5th gear where the speed limiter holds you to about 5200. The results are about what I felt in test riding. Feels good of the bottom but then drops off on the way up the RPM range.

HFS 08-26-2016 06:28 AM

I thought the'd do better than that.

More points to the 124 LC option...

Wide Open Cycles 08-26-2016 06:44 AM

Good stuff Steve, thanks. How's the "gear whine" noise?

GMRO 08-26-2016 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 15450009)
Here is the 2017 Road King 107 Oil Cooled "Flight Recorder" file. As before your going to need to unzip the file and view with DataMaster.

After riding these, I can say they are a little snappier than the old 103 but still have room for improvement. The lower idle means you have to be careful when letting the clutch out. The transmission is quieter and goes into first gear nicer but it still gets tied up when slowing to a stop and a double clutch is still needed the same as the older bikes. It feels like the clutch pull is a little stiffer than before but not uncomfortable. I feel that they must be running hotter than before, as the EITMS on the oil cooled model comes on fairly quickly when riding in town in mid 70 degree weather, but it could be just set to come on more often. All in all the engine is quieter but I feel like they gave it a little more exhaust note. Nothing loud by any means but different than the older models. Get a few more miles on them both then into the dyno and start working on tuning them.

Sorry...can you explain the "double clutch" reference?

Great thread!

THANK YOU!

zz2h33 08-26-2016 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by GMRO (Post 15450915)
Sorry...can you explain the "double clutch" reference?

Great thread!

THANK YOU!

I think he means when you come to a sudden stop and try to downshift quickly it gets hung up and will not go into first so you have to let the clutch out slightly then pull it back in to get it into 1st

duglaura&flhti 08-26-2016 07:56 AM

Thanks for the info....Noice

GMRO 08-26-2016 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by zz2h33 (Post 15450952)
I think he means when you come to a sudden stop and try to downshift quickly it gets hung up and will not go into first so you have to let the clutch out slightly then pull it back in to get it into 1st

THANKS!!!

Much appreciated.

Steve Cole 08-26-2016 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles (Post 15450773)
Good stuff Steve, thanks. How's the "gear whine" noise?

One bike is louder than the other and some may not like it. I do not think it terrible, but since everything else is quieter from the engine you notice it more. Seems to get louder after you've ridden it 30+ miles and everything is up to temperature. Time will tell I guess.