The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner and '17 M8

Old 09-17-2016, 09:40 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner and '17 M8

This is supposedly a new tuner. The only one Harley currently sells since paying the fine to the EPA. I don't know how much it is similar to the HD tuners that came before it.

I've got a 2017 Street Glide 107" M8. I put a heavy breather on it, stock exhaust. No other changes from stock. It had some minor decel popping from the pipes, otherwise ran great.

I bought a Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner Part Number 41000008C yesterday and used it to download Harley's stage one map for the bike. I took it for a five mile ride. The decel popping is gone.

My question for anyone who has used this brand new tuner, or one of the other recent HD tuners, is how do you know if the new map is in the ECM? When we downloaded the new map each step to install it was followed closely and it appeared to install in the ECM correctly, and as I said the decel popping went away. But I'd like to confirm the download through the computer if possible.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:26 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
This is supposedly a new tuner. The only one Harley currently sells since paying the fine to the EPA. I don't know how much it is similar to the HD tuners that came before it.

I've got a 2017 Street Glide 107" M8. I put a heavy breather on it, stock exhaust. No other changes from stock. It had some minor decel popping from the pipes, otherwise ran great.

I bought a Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner Part Number 41000008C yesterday and used it to download Harley's stage one map for the bike. I took it for a five mile ride. The decel popping is gone.

My question for anyone who has used this brand new tuner, or one of the other recent HD tuners, is how do you know if the new map is in the ECM? When we downloaded the new map each step to install it was followed closely and it appeared to install in the ECM correctly, and as I said the decel popping went away. But I'd like to confirm the download through the computer if possible.
The map should be in the dongle, pull up the software with the dongle connected and the power and run switches on and look in the VCI tab

Old 09-22-2016, 10:51 AM
jwreplogle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so glad to see this post. I bought some VH Twin Slash slip on and decal pop is awful. I was getting ready to buy the new Screaming Eagle Pro Tuner. Is there a Stage I preprogrammed map already available in the software?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam

I asked the dealer last week about putting a stage I kit in my 2017 bike. I told him I would do the labor. He said that I would still have to have their service department do a flash install to marry the newly purchased Harley tuner to the bike. The cost to do this was going to be $125.00 for labor and $70.00 for various "shop supplies". My question is "how are you doing this yourself without using a Harley shop?

Old 01-28-2017, 06:30 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,491 Likes on 4,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
I asked the dealer last week about putting a stage I kit in my 2017 bike. I told him I would do the labor. He said that I would still have to have their service department do a flash install to marry the newly purchased Harley tuner to the bike. The cost to do this was going to be $125.00 for labor and $70.00 for various "shop supplies". My question is "how are you doing this yourself without using a Harley shop?
$200 to do the ECM recalibration sounds wrong to me, that's what they used to charge for their 1 time recalibration download using DT. I bought the tuner and had them put the mufflers on and recalibrate it because they ran a Winter 20/20 special and they have a VCI cable so I didn't have to buy one of those for another $50, unless I want to play with the tuner myself down the road. I think you should be able to buy the tuner, cable, install the hardware and software all by yourself using your laptop and following the instructions.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:36 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,371 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Anybody with a Street tuner VCI, cable set, and a laptop can DIY.
Remember the ST is EPA approved, and will adjust the ECM in a very narrow scope. Adequate for the SE line of legal products, but may not have enough adjustment range for aftermarket parts. HD agreed to limit the stuff they sell, after paying a multi million dollar fine for providing EPA defeat devices. If you have warranty concerns, then use only their products. If not, there are much better tuning devices available.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:36 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Anybody with a Street tuner VCI, cable set, and a laptop can DIY.
Remember the ST is EPA approved, and will adjust the ECM in a very narrow scope. Adequate for the SE line of legal products, but may not have enough adjustment range for aftermarket parts. HD agreed to limit the stuff they sell, after paying a multi million dollar fine for providing EPA defeat devices. If you have warranty concerns, then use only their products. If not, there are much better tuning devices available.
The problem is: Where am I, or anybody else going to get the download? Harley sure as hell is not going to make it available on the internet for everyone to access for free. I will be the first to say that after paying $299.95 to buy their tuner and then having to pay another ***** house price to flash it is outrageous. The damn tuner does not even stay on the bike after they run the downloaded file. It is nothing more than an interface to install the Stage I update. They pretty much have you by the short hairs when it comes to compliance with their new 2017 models and warranty.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:27 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswiz
The problem is: Where am I, or anybody else going to get the download? Harley sure as hell is not going to make it available on the internet for everyone to access for free. I will be the first to say that after paying $299.95 to buy their tuner and then having to pay another ***** house price to flash it is outrageous. The damn tuner does not even stay on the bike after they run the downloaded file. It is nothing more than an interface to install the Stage I update. They pretty much have you by the short hairs when it comes to compliance with their new 2017 models and warranty.
You've been misinformed.

The new Pro Street Tuner, comes with (in the free software you download to your laptop) a complete list of tunes for Harley-Davidson and Screamin' Eagle add on components, including all 2017 Screamin' Eagle components.

You do the flash yourself. It's easy.

Of course the VCI module doesn't stay on the bike. That's why it's called a "flash tuner": You connect your laptop to the bike using the VCI, flash the new tune, and then disconnect it. That's how it works. "It is nothing more than an interface to install the Stage 1 update". Well, yes.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:42 PM
j_bee
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Connect up your VCI and computer to the bike and enter the tool box function on the top tabs of the program.
Then on the left side of the tool box screen you'll have a tab with the option to read the current calibration as well as some other information taken directly from the bike's ECM.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
You've been misinformed.

The new Pro Street Tuner, comes with (in the free software you download to your laptop) a complete list of tunes for Harley-Davidson and Screamin' Eagle add on components, including all 2017 Screamin' Eagle components.

You do the flash yourself. It's easy.

Of course the VCI module doesn't stay on the bike. That's why it's called a "flash tuner": You connect your laptop to the bike using the VCI, flash the new tune, and then disconnect it. That's how it works. "It is nothing more than an interface to install the Stage 1 update". Well, yes.
Are you saying that when you buy the tuner from the dealer they are going to include a link to a site that will allow you to download the "flash" to the bike's ECM?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HARLEY: Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner and '17 M8