The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Newb Tuner Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Nautica232
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Tuner Question

Let me start by saying that I have read through hundreds of posts on this site regarding tuning/tuners and fully understand that if I want to maximize the output/efficiency of my bike, my best option is to get the bike on a dyno with a competent tuner. I'm not looking for opinions on what tuner is best, what the best setup is, what values are most important, etc....

With that being said, I have a simple question, and would like a simple answer....preferably from an industry expert.

I have a 2016 Street Glide Special. I plan on adding a Vance & Hines Naked VO2 intake, Power Dual headers and Monster Round slip-ons. That's it. NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS.

My questions is, do I NEED a tuner which has the ability to modify timing tables, or will a simple AFR adjustment suffice?

Once again, I understand what's needed to achieve maximum potential...I'm simply looking to make the adjustments needed to make my bike run cooler and safer.

Please refrain from voicing opinions and only respond if you have factual knowledge.

Thanks

Old 10-04-2016, 11:47 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Nice first post! I have factual knowledge on the subject but I think I'll keep it to myself thank you very much! Welcome to the Forums.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Nautica232
Stage III

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Nice first post! I have factual knowledge on the subject but I think I'll keep it to myself thank you very much! Welcome to the Forums.

Not trying to be rude or disrespectful to anyone on the Forum. Just looking to avoid some of the back and forth bickering / posturing that often occurs on these tuning threads. I apologize if you took offense.

I've sifted through hours of posts / threads and have learned a ton about tuning, but haven't seemed to find the basic answer I'm looking for. There is a lot of misinformation and contradictory posts out there that further cloud what I'm looking for.

To simplify my questions even further, I want to know if the Vance & Hines FP3 will be sufficient to get my bike running efficiently after the modifications?

I know that I won't be able to completely maximize the performance utilizing the FP3, but I'm not looking for a race bike, just a Street Glide that runs properly and still reacts when I get on the throttle.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:26 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

I suspect you'll be OK with the FP3, but if you want good professional advise call Fuel Moto and get an opinion from them. They are a forum sponsor and highly regarded by most here. They sell the FP3 and other tuners and make themselves available for this type of technical assistance.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

The following users liked this post:
Nautica232 (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Nautica232
Stage III

Originally Posted by nhrider1
I suspect you'll be OK with the FP3, but if you want good professional advise call Fuel Moto and get an opinion from them. They are a forum sponsor and highly regarded by most here. They sell the FP3 and other tuners and make themselves available for this type of technical assistance.

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Thanks for the advise. Spoke w/ Brian at Fuel Moto and he gave me the answer I was looking for. If you only plan on adding a high flow air cleaner and aftermarket exhaust, using the Vance & Hines FuelPak FP3 to adjust the AFR will keep your bike running safely and smoothly.