The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

what tuner?!

Old 05-01-2017, 03:29 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Hi Chris,
many thanks for the input here, that is greatly appreciated. We all know how much effort it takes chatting in a forum trying to keep us happy

First of all I will not support anyone suggesting your customer support is anything other than great. You did indeed try very hard to look after me and my questions and absolutely no way can, or would I fault you on such a sterling service. Keep it up.

Unfortunately, kind of the same as PeteJoe above, the product wasn't quite where I probably wanted it to be at the time I started, was why I tried a different one.

The state of the Harley tuning situation is not solely your (V&H) problem. There is a LOT of smoke and mirrors, and politics, and protection of knowledge going on in all of this ...in my opinion. And, in the space of a vacuum of actual, accurate knowledge and guidance, the Internet hero's tend to make up or repeat utter rubbish or conflicting information that really does not help get the job done at all.

These little boxes (and definitely not just yours) are a bit of a con in my book. They purport to tune your bike, but we all know damned fine that is simply and honestly NOT the case.

There is much more to tuning than auto mapping VE tables and sorting your WOT and getting a dyno sheet. I ride my bike in the real world and if it can't tootle across town without revving the hell out of it and waking the whole city so that I avoid the Harley so called "lugging" then the bike is no use to me at all. Like the good tuners keep telling us in here, it has to be rideable.

That takes more than mapping VE's, especially if you go past a new filter and pipes.

At this point in time, I really wish I'd bought a TTS because they have the most AI built into their tuning process ...THAT is what will make these things work. If that is going to put people out of business (which I very much doubt anyway) then they should only be sold to the trade who can use them properly.

I don't actually like the beast I have just now ...I do not think it is as shining bright as they make out either. I see too much in the logs that make me thing wtf! But, at least I have the logs, as accurate as they may or may not be, to allow me to read between the lines.

I still really like the FP3 and in case you hadn't noticed I do chuck a few pointers as well as getting on at you for not developing it further If you can get some good AI into the tuning process and deliver on those updates, I think you are more than capable of surpassing some of the other players.

Don't get me started on device support and software ...or you'll never shut me up. We do realise that Apps are dying don't we? they are being replaced by "super Apps" or essentially AI interfaces that go off to wherever (cough, the Internet) to get the answers for you.

I'm not really convinced, personally, that is the way to do engine tuning ...we're not talking about a bunch of face tweeting likey sharing don't care about my personal data kids, are we I'm a great believer in the old saying ...if all you need is a bit of paper...
Well said, and I have no disagreement. It is conversations like this that help and inform consumers but also give us (the manufacture) a window to what consumers are looking for. I appreciate your consideration. We are all very passionate about it, and it is clearly shown.

As for new AI, I cannot speak details, but needless to say there is A LOT in the works. Many of your concerns as well as others will be addressed and then some.

As for the manual, I am almost finished with it. Then I will work with my marketing department to get a high quality finish and layout.

The following 2 users liked this post by vanceandhines:
Axis39 (05-04-2017), oldknucklehead (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 02:08 PM
oldknucklehead
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
Well said, and I have no disagreement. It is conversations like this that help and inform consumers but also give us (the manufacture) a window to what consumers are looking for. I appreciate your consideration. We are all very passionate about it, and it is clearly shown.

As for new AI, I cannot speak details, but needless to say there is A LOT in the works. Many of your concerns as well as others will be addressed and then some.

As for the manual, I am almost finished with it. Then I will work with my marketing department to get a high quality finish and layout.

I've been looking for the best deal I can get for a Vance & Hines FP3 tuner for my 2007 HD Dyna FXD. It's all stock now. I just want to get it running a little richer so it'll run cooler. In the winter I plan on getting performance slip on mufflers and a high flow air cleaner.

I have a question for you. You're talking about new products in the works. Will anything be coming out soon, should I wait instead of buying an FP3 right now???

Price is important to me. I'm retired and on a fixed income. I always shop for the lowest price I can get.