The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

what tuner?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:39 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Axis39
Yeah, it's the PC thing that kills me... I'm an all Apple guy right now.
Me too now a days. But, for those programs I use that still insist on being microsoft only, I use VMWare Fusion to run windows programs on my Mac.

Fusion is about $80 plus the cost of a Microsoft license. Parallels is another option about the same price. Or if you only want to simply run a windows program and are not too fussy about battery life or performance then Virtual Box is free, apart from the cost of the windows license.

If you think you can do proper tuning with a wee "App", best of luck

Old 04-27-2017, 10:20 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Axis39
I knew I didn't really want to pay to have my bike dyno-tuned. I am not overly obsessed with go-fast. I just like to putt.
This is by far and again the biggest misconception of dyno tuning...all it's used for is to squeeeeeezze the last hp/tq from the motor.
Quite to the contrary...since there are over 300 tune points for fueling and timing, most all tuning effort and time is spent in the 0-80% T/P, which is where riders spend 95+% of their time riding.
"Squeezing" the last hp/tq is the last, and frankly, the easiest to get right...it's everywhere else that, when tuned, provides a much smoother and responsive motor with good mileage as well
Most all the time tuning is spent with rideability, cold start, hot start, knock corrections, acceleration enrichment and enleanment, decel backfiring, along with a plethora of other tuning tables to help the experienced tuner maximize performance, which covers all aspects of running.
Hope this clears up this misconception,
Bob
PS - Always best to ask someone who has had their bike tuned for opinions concerning the experiences and benefits riding a well-tuned bike.

The following users liked this post:
5500 (05-03-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
All due respect, but not enough then ...especially if you go past a Stage 1.

Yes they say they reveal all of the tables same as the rest ...but how do you tune them?
  • it only works when plugged into the bike and the bike powered on (Coming soon)
  • there is no logging available (Coming soon)
  • the live gauge readings they do give, don't include spark knock so how the hell anyone is supposed to be able to tune the spark tables is beyond me? (Coming soon)
  • anecdotally the Autotune often seems to make things worse and some of the support guys seem to be telling people NOT to autotune but (and ESPECIALLY if you change cams you absolutely HAVE TO autotune because V&H do not have any canned maps that are for this or that cam ...yes you can change the IV)/IVC if you know what you are doing but the settings they say should work for the 57H DON'T ...sorry but they just don't ...at least not on my build with a 57H ( This is because many of our customer service phone calls are people who immediately go into AutoTune without understanding it. They complain that it runs poorly while in AutoTune and believe it should stay in AutoTune indefinitely.) For most users, this causes confusion, and very poor experience. I am almost finished with the comprehensive Instruction Manual that will be available as a digital download through the app. This will help the current confusion.
  • you can not compare different maps to see what autotunes are doing (Coming soon)
  • you are supposed to be able to share maps now but no idea how that works and as far as I know you still have the can't compare maps problem so who knows what you are getting (Coming soon)
  • it doesn't tune (or log) the column 0% throttle position on an VE(TPS) config This is because it will effect your cold start and idle VE's. We can easily add this, but it would have a different procedure than the current AutoTune.
  • no one else can help you with alternative maps, or look at yours to help you out Simply not true. Any tuner can, it's the same tables and language. Considering the amount of customer service you received during your initial build with us(40+ correspondences from 7/2014 through 9/2015) I thought it would have been considered an above average experience as we never once left you unanswered or without help. I personally ensured you received top notch customer support, including many in-depth explanations.
  • anyone know of a professional tuning shop willing to tune with one??
I do, in fact not just domestically, but internationally. The second biggest FP3 user base is in Japan. They create their own maps using FP3.

Yes, it is an easy thing to use ...but so is a bicycle compared to a motorcycle ...although, actually the Power Vision is probably even easier to use if you want to go down that discussion.

Anything more than a Stage 1 you are probably best getting what your tuning shop knows and get them to do it properly. THIS IS NOT EASY! Anyone that says it is is lying!! ...unless maybe you just have a stage 1 and or don't really care how well the bike runs.

Remember this so called "autotune" only re-maps the VE tables. Timing, EGR, and the host of other cold start and transient tables they don't even look at ...unless you get a TTS, their VTune3 seems to do waaaay more than the rest. (Coming soon)

I gave up with my FP3, my Power Vision is SO much more powerful, functional, and effective.

Greatest thing since sliced bread? ...don't be stupid. Chalk and cheese to PV (and others) ...but if you want one, get one. If you could relicense them I'd give you mine! You still only have one piece of hardware, and that license is $200(most cases).

EDIT: ok so this is my own personal experience and understanding, but by all means point out anything I got wrong. Oh, and you pay for what you get
User's have to choose what is best for them. There is no doubt the competitors device is a powerful device with many features that FP3 does not (currently) have. Many users just want a simple to use graphical user interface. What better than the device we all have in our pocket? Also, dealers/dyno tuners have easier integration with their dynos and equipment with the competitors
device (currently). This will be changed with a new device coming out this year.

I hear of all the requests on this site as well as many other forums. I also use feedback from users at events and dealers across the world. It DOES NOT fall on deaf ears. We are working diligently on new features and programs to make the FP3 more powerful and easier to use. Not just for end users, but dealers and professional tuners.

Last edited by vanceandhines; 04-27-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Gordon61 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:04 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by petejoe43
Axis, I tried for 5 hours to manually change AFR tables, VE, and spark using FP3. This using a proven base tune from a bike with the same setup as my own. After manual value changes in the AFR table for example, the values wouldn't hold and reverted back to original numbers. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, so I tried several more times, but the values remained unchanged. The tables I tried to copy were from a PV tune I was given. I finally gave up and sent the maps to Cheyne at V&H, after a couple of days he made the changes, put the tune on their server and I downloaded it. Cheyne offered no excuse as to why I couldn't manually change these values. On the other hand, with PV it couldn't be easier from my PC. So it's not so much that the PV is that much better, but for me it was night/day the difference when manually adjusting map values by cell. I'm sure I was doing something wrong, but couldn't figure it out. Also, both dyno tuners I spoke to in my area use PV. For me it was the manual adjustment that I couldn't make that turned me off. Haven't had the first issue with PV.
You could manually change these values, however, there is a limit to how long you can take within each table, it can time out depending on device, OS, etc.

This is why we will be doing offline map editing soon (as with MANY other new features). We have an online Customer Support system that runs through a browser that allows interactions with our server such as you had. However it's still easier to make changes through the application. What other tuning device sends a map directly to your phone, any time, anywhere? All you had to do was click one button. I do map alterations for customers across the globe (in many other languages too).

Perhaps the PC was best for you. However, we can see where the future of device support and software are going. We don't see Uber drivers logging into a PC before they start a route... lol

Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
You could manually change these values, however, there is a limit to how long you can take within each table, it can time out depending on device, OS, etc.

This is why we will be doing offline map editing soon (as with MANY other new features). We have an online Customer Support system that runs through a browser that allows interactions with our server such as you had. However it's still easier to make changes through the application. What other tuning device sends a map directly to your phone, any time, anywhere? All you had to do was click one button. I do map alterations for customers across the globe (in many other languages too).

Perhaps the PC was best for you. However, we can see where the future of device support and software are going. We don't see Uber drivers logging into a PC before they start a route... lol
Let me be very clear. Cheyne and the team at V&H were as helpful as any great customer service team from any top rated retailer. However, Cheyne made 2 attempts to tune my stage 2 with 57H cams. After much frustration, Mac from the forum was nice enough to chime in and send me a tune he thought would be good for my setup. Hence the tries at manually changing tables. (the timeout makes sense). Had I known that I would have saved myself many hours of frustration. Anyway, ended up sending the tables from Mac to Cheyne, who populated the tables with Mac's values and uploaded the tune to your server for me. Mac's tune was far and above superior to the 2 that Cheyne tried. That's not to say Cheyne didn't try, and was genuinely as helpful as he could be when it came to my tune. The e-mail replies were prompt.
If you guys can get the PC table functionality right, I won't hesitate to go back to the FP3.....but alas, in the interim I was forced to buy a PV and a license. So now I have 2 tuners when 1 should have been sufficient.
Not throwing V&H under the bus, just sharing the facts as they played out....

Old 04-28-2017, 07:39 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Hi Chris,
many thanks for the input here, that is greatly appreciated. We all know how much effort it takes chatting in a forum trying to keep us happy

First of all I will not support anyone suggesting your customer support is anything other than great. You did indeed try very hard to look after me and my questions and absolutely no way can, or would I fault you on such a sterling service. Keep it up.

Unfortunately, kind of the same as PeteJoe above, the product wasn't quite where I probably wanted it to be at the time I started, was why I tried a different one.

The state of the Harley tuning situation is not solely your (V&H) problem. There is a LOT of smoke and mirrors, and politics, and protection of knowledge going on in all of this ...in my opinion. And, in the space of a vacuum of actual, accurate knowledge and guidance, the Internet hero's tend to make up or repeat utter rubbish or conflicting information that really does not help get the job done at all.

These little boxes (and definitely not just yours) are a bit of a con in my book. They purport to tune your bike, but we all know damned fine that is simply and honestly NOT the case.

There is much more to tuning than auto mapping VE tables and sorting your WOT and getting a dyno sheet. I ride my bike in the real world and if it can't tootle across town without revving the hell out of it and waking the whole city so that I avoid the Harley so called "lugging" then the bike is no use to me at all. Like the good tuners keep telling us in here, it has to be rideable.

That takes more than mapping VE's, especially if you go past a new filter and pipes.

At this point in time, I really wish I'd bought a TTS because they have the most AI built into their tuning process ...THAT is what will make these things work. If that is going to put people out of business (which I very much doubt anyway) then they should only be sold to the trade who can use them properly.

I don't actually like the beast I have just now ...I do not think it is as shining bright as they make out either. I see too much in the logs that make me thing wtf! But, at least I have the logs, as accurate as they may or may not be, to allow me to read between the lines.

I still really like the FP3 and in case you hadn't noticed I do chuck a few pointers as well as getting on at you for not developing it further If you can get some good AI into the tuning process and deliver on those updates, I think you are more than capable of surpassing some of the other players.

Don't get me started on device support and software ...or you'll never shut me up. We do realise that Apps are dying don't we? they are being replaced by "super Apps" or essentially AI interfaces that go off to wherever (cough, the Internet) to get the answers for you.

I'm not really convinced, personally, that is the way to do engine tuning ...we're not talking about a bunch of face tweeting likey sharing don't care about my personal data kids, are we I'm a great believer in the old saying ...if all you need is a bit of paper...

Old 04-28-2017, 07:42 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

...and if anyone is listening ...we still need an FP3 sticky Maybe you could start that off Chris with a link to your new guide when it comes out

Old 04-28-2017, 03:21 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
User's have to choose what is best for them. There is no doubt the competitors device is a powerful device with many features that FP3 does not (currently) have. Many users just want a simple to use graphical user interface. What better than the device we all have in our pocket? Also, dealers/dyno tuners have easier integration with their dynos and equipment with the competitors
device (currently). This will be changed with a new device coming out this year.

I hear of all the requests on this site as well as many other forums. I also use feedback from users at events and dealers across the world. It DOES NOT fall on deaf ears. We are working diligently on new features and programs to make the FP3 more powerful and easier to use. Not just for end users, but dealers and professional tuners.
Good stuff, love knowing that a product is still in process of being developed and enhanced even tho it met my basic requirements at the time of purchase. I look forward to seeing what more you do with a device that is unique in its approach compared to other products.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
...and if anyone is listening ...we still need an FP3 sticky Maybe you could start that off Chris with a link to your new guide when it comes out
I'm here almost every day Gordon

You guys get a plan together and start it. Give me links to FP3 posts and I'll move them to the sticky area.

-Wiz

Old 04-29-2017, 07:05 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I'm here almost every day Gordon
Stupid thing of me to say, I know you are always watching

Mr. Wizard (04-29-2017)

Quick Reply: what tuner?!