The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Crappy tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:36 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Crappy tune?

Hey all , my Heritage is my first bike and when I bought it I wasn't informed it had a stage 1 on it already. found it out on my own when I tried to figure out why my filter looked different from a factory one. I didn't know any better. what I also don't know any different is the tune. I bought it used with 1400 miles and when the original buyer purchased it they had the dealer put vance and hines straight shot slip ons on it and a SE stage 1 kit and had them map it I guess. I didn't receive a tuner with the bike so id imagine they mapped it?

I get ALOT of decel popping. like ALOT ALOT. also ive noticed when I am on the throttle and I clutch to shift I get almost like a backfire pop. is this normal with a mapped bike? like I said this is my first HD so I don't know if this is normal or if I got a crap tune job. I want it to run perfect . I plan to do some cams down the road so im considering a fuel pack 3. would this cure my issue? thanks!

bike is a 2014 Heritage 103, V&H straight shot slip on's, Screamin Eagle stage 1 kit.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselDoc103
...is this normal with a mapped bike?
It's not so much the map as it is the exhaust.

...I plan to do some cams down the road so im considering a fuel pack 3. would this cure my issue? thanks!
Forget the FP3 and opt for a full-featured tuning program and either invest the time to learn and tune it yourself or find a qualified guy to tune it for you.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey all , my Heritage is my first bike and when I bought it I wasn't informed it had a stage 1 on it already. found it out on my own when I tried to figure out why my filter looked different from a factory one. I didn't know any better. what I also don't know any different is the tune. I bought it used with 1400 miles and when the original buyer purchased it they had the dealer put vance and hines straight shot slip ons on it and a SE stage 1 kit and had them map it I guess. I didn't receive a tuner with the bike so id imagine they mapped it?

I get ALOT of decel popping. like ALOT ALOT. also ive noticed when I am on the throttle and I clutch to shift I get almost like a backfire pop. is this normal with a mapped bike? like I said this is my first HD so I don't know if this is normal or if I got a crap tune job. I want it to run perfect . I plan to do some cams down the road so im considering a fuel pack 3. would this cure my issue? thanks!

bike is a 2014 Heritage 103, V&H straight shot slip on's, Screamin Eagle stage 1 kit.

I'm going to speculate that the previous owner of the bike has upgraded A/c ,, and installed aftermarket slipons without re tuning the bike to complete the stage 1 ... thats why you are having poppng and farting..
As you did not receive a tuner with the bike, and previous owner did not mention any other tuning device that may have been installed on the bike, (ie, a fuel module, (piggyback), type device), your bike needs a tune to complete the stage 1 ....
As you mentioned , you want your bike to run perfectly ,(as it can) , here is my advice ,,,
Find a workshop the tunes with the Power Vision ,,, You have two options ,, 1. Buy the PV and they tune bike, (dyno).
2. Buy a licence ,(you do not have to buy PV), they tune bike, (dyno) ..

As you mention cams down the track ,,, option 1 may be the way to go...

There are other tuning options to get what you want with a stage 1, and the possibility of a cam upgrade in the future ,, this is just my opinion ,, no doubt there will be more coming !!!! Good luck