The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Dynojet Power Commander III Using Too Much Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:08 PM
06flstn
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dynojet Power Commander III Using Too Much Fuel

I recently purchased my first bike, an 06 FLSTN with 6954 miles on the odometer, from a local H-D dealer and the bike apparenty had a Dynojet PC III previously installed. I've been riding the bike for several weeks now and am finding my bike to be using way too much fuel. The fuel light comes on with about 85 miles since the fuel tank was filled. I've tried "resetting" the PC III by holding all three buttons down, turning to the Ignition, then flipping the Run button without starting the bike. This doesn't seem to do anything and I can't seem to figure out how to manually adjust the fuel setting downward.

I've tried searching online and again am having very little luck. If you an help, please post up as I know I should be getting about 50mpg and right now I'm getting maybe half that amount. Thanks!

Old 04-16-2017, 07:40 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,718 Likes on 3,494 Posts

Originally Posted by 06flstn
I recently purchased my first bike, an 06 FLSTN with 6954 miles on the odometer, from a local H-D dealer and the bike apparenty had a Dynojet PC III previously installed. I've been riding the bike for several weeks now and am finding my bike to be using way too much fuel. The fuel light comes on with about 85 miles since the fuel tank was filled. I've tried "resetting" the PC III by holding all three buttons down, turning to the Ignition, then flipping the Run button without starting the bike. This doesn't seem to do anything and I can't seem to figure out how to manually adjust the fuel setting downward.

I've tried searching online and again am having very little luck. If you an help, please post up as I know I should be getting about 50mpg and right now I'm getting maybe half that amount. Thanks!
Crazy idea, but did you call Dynojet?

Old 04-16-2017, 05:13 PM
06flstn
Advanced

It would be entirely too easy to call Dynojet so to answer your question, I plead the fifth.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

How much gas are you putting in it when you fill? It should take approximately 5 gallons for a dry fill. I can't believe you're going through 4 1/2 gallons in 85 miles. The gas gauges on Harleys are notoriously inaccurate.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Jeckel
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got to the website and download a map that matches your mods. Load it up and see if that fixes the issue. Is it a PCIII-USB?

Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 PM
06flstn
Advanced

I typically fill it up when the low fuel light comes on which generally happens around 1/4 tank till empty. My latest fill-up was about 3.3 gallons at 85 miles.

I've downloaded a number of maps but didn't receive the cabling to connect my laptop to the module so I haven't tried mapping it yet. I'm not even sure which cable I need for this?

Old 04-16-2017, 08:12 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

My first thought now is to un hook the module til you can get the cable from Dyno-jet and see how it runs.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,460 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I have the same commander. the cable is a USB and instead of a micro USB head it is the larger style. You might have one in your house or be able to find one easily. You need to download the program to a windows machine and download a map that matches your mods. I have true-dual Vance and Hines pipes with an Arlen Ness intake. I am running a map for a V&H longshots with Screaming eagle intake and I lowered the numbers by 10 on the computer and loaded it on to the USBIII.

Important information----the engine has to be running to alter the fuel mix manually. The computer will only activate for 5 seconds to prime the system and then turn off untill you start the bike. this also includes loading of maps, the only way to avoid that is to buy their power cable.

Here are a couple of links to help.
This one is for a page with tutorials and the downloads. http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...dType=PCIIIUSB
Here is the power adapter so you do not have to have it running.
https://cart.dynojet.com/p-832-pciii...ng-module.aspx
Here is the cord for programming it. from PC to USBIII
https://cart.dynojet.com/p-823-repla...i-b-cable.aspx

Hope this helps and have a fun time riding.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
My first thought now is to un hook the module til you can get the cable from Dyno-jet and see how it runs.
Yep. That's a good plan. Take it off, ride for a while and monitor how it runs. If the bike is stock, you may not even need a "tuner."

The PCIII that was on my '06 Deluxe when I bought was a bit finicky about the order and timing of pressing the buttons to get into adjustment mode. I did not have the cable either. I bought the 9v battery connector so the setting could be changed without turning the ignition on.

I went with a PowerVision late last year and I've been happy once I got 'er tuned in.

Even so, 50mpg might be a bit optimistic. I've only achieved that one time and it was heading north on Hwy 395 with a tailwind. On average, I get 42-45mpg. I am not heavy on the throttle.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:01 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I think you need to figure out how many miles per gallon you are currently getting, and compare that to others with a similar setup.

You can also pull your plugs, and inspect them. If you are running very rich your plugs would probably be black.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Dynojet Power Commander III Using Too Much Fuel