The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Help with 107CI Woods TW-555 timing table -

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 07:12 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Agreed, last time I asked DJ (and on here) about auto spark tuning ...they said not to!! Still a work in progress

MLV kind of does the same thing, there is a knock at a point somewhere and then the way the knock control works, it takes it out gradually ...by which time you are into cells that have no knock what so dickie bird, but the "automated" programs are still averaging away quite the thing.

In other words they suggest there in a level of knock when in fact, there isn't!!

The settings on the config (mine anyway as an example) are set to ignore any knock below 50odd kpa so the idea of the PV saying there is knock down at 30 or 40 is maybe a bit of a stretch of the imagination.

Maybe best NOT to use the auto spark tuning unless you have discussed it with Roy @ DJ first
My PV will show knock all the way down to 20 kpa. It is not much but it shows it. Are you saying it is not accurate?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Knock at 20kpa? I don't think that is accurate in the slightest

i can run around all day and all night and never pull more than 80 kpa and get no knock what so ever

if I pull higher kpa knock may kick in. It takes time for the system to remove the knock so it may still say .5 by the time your kpa gets down to cruising again ...PV seems to calculate some kind of average, same as MLV ...that decreasing knock control by the system ends up getting calculated as knock - when it isn't, it's just the system hasn't taken all the knock control out yet.

like I said, ask Roy whether to use the feature or not

Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Knock at 20kpa? I don't think that is accurate in the slightest

i can run around all day and all night and never pull more than 80 kpa and get no knock what so ever

if I pull higher kpa knock may kick in. It takes time for the system to remove the knock so it may still say .5 by the time your kpa gets down to cruising again ...PV seems to calculate some kind of average, same as MLV ...that decreasing knock control by the system ends up getting calculated as knock - when it isn't, it's just the system hasn't taken all the knock control out yet.

like I said, ask Roy whether to use the feature or not
Only time I see it pulling timing is when I am riding around town at a steady speed. Around 35 mph. That is right around 30 to 35 kpa. I asked Roy at DJ about it. He told me it could be knock or could be false knock. Up to me to decide. At this point the bike runs great and I have left it alone.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

My map is completely open loop. The closed loop and adaptive controls are turned off. I went back to the old map and will play around with quick tune for a while to see what happens once the weather breaks. Quick tune is pretty generic but I can adjust a few settings to hopefully get an idea of what the motor wants. Without hearing it or feeling it all I can do is watch the knock on the gauges and adjust from there. I'm not stressing over it at this point since you guys seem to have the same type of symptoms in that low load area.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fishonsc
Only time I see it pulling timing is when I am riding around town at a steady speed. Around 35 mph. That is right around 30 to 35 kpa. I asked Roy at DJ about it. He told me it could be knock or could be false knock. Up to me to decide. At this point the bike runs great and I have left it alone.
Have a look at your map in WinPV, in the Knock section, there is a control called Knock control minimum hysteresis

Mine is set to 52 for example so someone please explain how on earth the system could possibly be pulling timing in response to knock at 30 or 40kpa ...other than left over knock control handling from a earlier event that happened at a higher kpa

Don't get me wrong, I've seen the logs show that 0.25 was being taken out regularly when just cruising along around 40-45kpa ...even more weird is my knock strategy says to take out 1ş ...personally I took that as one of those WTF moments ...and politely ignored it completely Was it the ECU or was it the PV ...who knows!

Last edited by Gordon61; 05-10-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I just found the knock minimum hysteresis. Thank you I'm going to set it 40 to start with. Thanks for the info it has been most helpful. Now I have to figure out the ve's at that range that are sporadic.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:56 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gozzie
I just found the knock minimum hysteresis. Thank you I'm going to set it 40 to start with. Thanks for the info it has been most helpful. Now I have to figure out the ve's at that range that are sporadic.
I'm not sure I would do that ...unless you really know what you are doing and are trying to test something (...although I notice the 617 configuration has that value set at 42)

As the guys have said, you don't really get knock at low loads, that setting is presumably set where it is so that the system is ignoring any false data. If you reduce the number (and the corresponding one saying when to enable knock control) then you will very likely start chasing your tail/ghosts.

Maybe if you posted your map and a good log some of the better educated and experienced could offer specific pointers and put your mind at rest.