The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Screaming Eagle Street Tuner - How to obtain stock 103 map?

Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 PM
itznin
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle Street Tuner - How to obtain stock 103 map?

My dealer installed Rinehart Slimline duals, full exhaust and Roland Sands air filter.

The dealer dyno'd the bike and it runs absolutely terrible mostly at lower RPM ranges and from a stop, above 3000 RPM it runs fine. I installed the tuning software and poked around and loaded the Stage 1 103 mapping but this assumes I have a Big Bore kit which I don't, I have a 2016 Road King, stock 103 engine. I loaded the mapping and it runs terrible as well.

I saved the dealer tune which seems to be built off the same tune I just mentioned which is: C41000210C

How do I get the stock 103 tune? If it's not possible in the software, does someone have their stock on saved?

I'm attaching a picture of the tune that is available that I loaded in the tuner.

Attached Thumbnails Screaming Eagle Street Tuner - How to obtain stock 103 map?-capture.jpg  
Old 05-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 399 Likes on 283 Posts

Don't populate the bottom half on the left side, and all the 103 tunes will show up. There will be tunes for Stage 1 - Stage 4 in both 103 and 110 single and twin cooled configurations.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 AM
itznin
Road Captain

I tried this and unfortunately, none of the options fit. In the top left I choose 2016 TOURING FLHR

Here are my options:

C41000210C: 103 Big Bore Stage 1 Kit PN: 27539-08
(My bike is currently tuned from the dealer a modified version of this, runs terribly)

C41000213C - 110 Stage 1 Kit - Doesn't apply

C41000357 - Stage 1 w/58mm Throttle Body, SE High Flow, Heavy Breather, or Ventilator Air Cleaner, 58mm Throttle Body - Doesn't apply

C41000441 - Stage 1 w/Hi-Flow Exhaust System - I loaded this one and it was REALLY bad so I can't use this as a base

Old 05-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Not sure you want to go back to a stock map.. Not sure you can.. You might want to try a smart tune on the dyno tuned map and see if it helps. Most of the lower range is within the closed loop part of tuning. Dealer may not have messed with that section.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 PM
itznin
Road Captain

I looked through the tune and it doesn't appear much was really changed.

Can the lower ranges be tweaked with this tuner/setup?

The dealer agreed to bring my bike and me into the Dyno room Monday. I want to go in with as much info as possible to get the most out of the session.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

You're going to need to be more specific than "runs terrible."

I would take Max's advice and try running a smart tune session and see what info you get from the data log. Also, you can go into the "toolbox" section of the software and VCI data record and log some data not using smart tune. As noted previously, the lower load area under 3000rpm is likely running in closed loop anyhow, so you'll probably catch some VE data doing that as well, plus you'll be able to check your knock retard data to see if the bike is pulling timing. That could make the bike run a little rough.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:15 PM
itznin
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Br125
You're going to need to be more specific than "runs terrible."

I would take Max's advice and try running a smart tune session and see what info you get from the data log. Also, you can go into the "toolbox" section of the software and VCI data record and log some data not using smart tune. As noted previously, the lower load area under 3000rpm is likely running in closed loop anyhow, so you'll probably catch some VE data doing that as well, plus you'll be able to check your knock retard data to see if the bike is pulling timing. That could make the bike run a little rough.
More specific is in my other thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ed-advice.html

I didn't want to make this thread about my problem but more of how to obtain a stock mapping that I can begin the tune with because the ones inside the tuner don't seem to apply.

From what you are saying if under 3K RPM is "closed loop" I assume that cannot be changed and I'm stuck with the way it performs unless I get a different tuner?

I have an appointment at my dealer who did the Dyno originally (Yes I paid for a dyno already!) for Monday where they will bring me into the Dyno room to try to rectify the problem. The current state of the bike makes it unrideable, more details are in my other thread.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by itznin
More specific is in my other thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ed-advice.html

I didn't want to make this thread about my problem but more of how to obtain a stock mapping that I can begin the tune with because the ones inside the tuner don't seem to apply.

From what you are saying if under 3K RPM is "closed loop" I assume that cannot be changed and I'm stuck with the way it performs unless I get a different tuner?

I have an appointment at my dealer who did the Dyno originally (Yes I paid for a dyno already!) for Monday where they will bring me into the Dyno room to try to rectify the problem. The current state of the bike makes it unrideable, more details are in my other thread.
Closed loop meaning that your o2 sensors should be able to give you feedback on your AFR. From reading your other thread, I may agree with the dealership to an extent. Rolling on throttle with high load under 2k rpm isn't going to go well no matter what. You may need some fuel timing adjustments in that area, but I'm not sure you can make that work without a competent tuner.. maybe still not able to get that to work though.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Originally Posted by itznin

You can change VEs on the closed loop section. If the VEs are off say regions say mixed some too high and some to low, the ECU will have trouble correcting to the fuel required.. The whole thing about running real close to lean is that if the ECU misses by much too lean you might get a hiccup. You want to learn the VEs and correct to get the best response closed loop.

Plus simply looking at VEs you can get ideas as to how close the tune is..

Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

IMO the only way to go about this is to learn the software enough to do a couple Smartunes.
That will correct where the the issue is/are.
IME it's possible to do an adequate job of getting 80-90% of the area where you normally ride from learning and using riding techniques to get to all the cells long enough for the system to learn.
Bob