The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Spark Knock issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:34 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by b0fh
wow, a 120... that's ought to be a beast

ok, reading from where it knocked the most (around sample 76301) your TP was @ 30%, MAP 61..22, knock retard front 3.75 and the advances were @ 26.5 and 27.5, pretty close to each other but below what your table asks, so I would guess the ECU is pulling timing from both cylinders... notice that your tables are different and there is like 4 degrees less on the rear table on that region you are riding.

in your shoes I would copy the rear table over the front one and see what happens. or perhaps just pull the advances that are higher on the front to the (lower) values on the rear, but not touch the ones that are lower already... timing can be a PITA.

If the spark you are getting is lower than what is called out in main spark table. Check with the other tables that can control spark. Spark Temp Correction and IAT Spark Correction. This also needs to be correlated with MAP and RPM along with temps.

The following users liked this post:
oleboy (05-30-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:09 PM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys... I appreciate all the input here. I tried quick tune to add fuel and take out timing in the mid and high range.... I added 3% to mid and 5% to high for fuel and took out -3 degrees in the mid and -5 in the high range and took it out for a test run....

I set a 4 pack Guage to read RPM, MAP, SPARK KNOCK HITS front and rear and SPARK KNOCK DEG.

This helped me to get closer to a solution.... after the changes above were flashed in, spark knock hits were greatly reduced, but not gone.

I think I'm on the right track... I followed the SPARK KNOCK AND PINGING pdf in the dyno jet download section.... and applied it to what you are all telling me.

I am going to run some more logs and play with fuel and timing in the quick tune a bit more
thanks again and keep the knowledge flowing... it helpsore than.you know

Old 06-04-2017, 09:23 PM
Spazz
Tourer

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
If the spark you are getting is lower than what is called out in main spark table. Check with the other tables that can control spark. Spark Temp Correction and IAT Spark Correction. This also needs to be correlated with MAP and RPM along with temps.
I was reading up on that ... thanks... I have alot to take in with all this....again... all the input and knowledge is much appreciated

Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Spazz
Tourer

UPDATE:

I used Quick Tune to alter the fuel/spark to see if I can get a difference....and I did!

I increased fuel by 5% in the mid range and 10% on the high range.... then adjust midrange spark by -3 and high range by -5.

I had one knock and ran the same road I did for the previous log. Previously... I would see spark changes of .25 up to 5... I saw just one this time.

The only problem I have... When I download the tune again to compare... THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!!!

I thought the QUICK TUNE adjusts your fuel/spark by overwriting the tune.... why can I not see the changes?

Attached Files
File Type: csv
log0000.csv (931.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:23 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Sorry I have nothing to add for you spark issue , but I have a question for all of you concerning spark knock, I have been told that you can't always hear spark knock and that's the reason for running a log,but my power vision is having issues now. When you can hear spark knock does it sorta sound like a exhaust leak? At 2100-2500 rpm, I can hear a slight tick coming from the front cylinder. I can't find exhaust leak. So I'm wondering of its spark knock.
thanks all

Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Spazz
Tourer

Originally Posted by rsking45
Sorry I have nothing to add for you spark issue , but I have a question for all of you concerning spark knock, I have been told that you can't always hear spark knock and that's the reason for running a log,but my power vision is having issues now. When you can hear spark knock does it sorta sound like a exhaust leak? At 2100-2500 rpm, I can hear a slight tick coming from the front cylinder. I can't find exhaust leak. So I'm wondering of its spark knock.
thanks all
spark knock CAN be heard in certain instances. ..kinda hard with a loud exhaust and usually under a load, not at idle.

I start my scoot and use a long lighter at the jugs and flanges. ... easier way to check for leaks

Old 08-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Spazz
Tourer

I was told not to mess with spark learn... doesn't work well. Also... been playing with one particular tune and ran a datalog... then. Added 5% fuel to the mid and upper region 45kpa and 2750 rpms and up.. smoothed it out... ran a little better with minimal knock retard noticed.

gonna run octane boost on a trip today and datalog... then refill and run straight 91-93 And datalog.. then compare... we will see what's up from there