The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Still having spark knock issues!!! KILLING ME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Still having spark knock issues!!! KILLING ME!!!

OK.... I'll try to make this short....

New plugs.... just because....no oil or buildup but slightly on the white side near a tan color...

Canned map from FM for my PV and Target Tune for 120ST with Boss Boarzilla

running lean and getting spark knock on FRONT CYLINDER.. 3 times as many vs the rear.. and sometimes not at all on the rear.

This is all happening above 2800 rpms and 45Kpa and up pulling hills at above 75mph is the main scenario I see this.. not flat land cruising.

So... I increase fuel by 5% from 2800 and up across the table... smoothed it out.

Almost at .895 lambda in areas even lower in the higher ranges ( still getting 38mpg )

a little better, but not alot... spark retard is set to 6 degrees.... never touched it

I pull out 6 degrees of timing ( and smoothed)from the FRONT CYLINDER in the the same range as the fuel table mod... still have spark knock on the front, and now the REAR CYLINDER has spark knock is almost keeping up with the front!!!!

WTF!?!?!?!

Last edited by Spazz; 08-20-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:55 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I'm having pretty bad knock issues with my 110 build.... 0ver 100f/50r on a recent 250 mile trip. My bike is at ~11.3:1 static comp, 225 CCP.... going to change cams to bring that down.

Anyway, my tuner says they're false knock events from running SE plugs & wires. I changed back to the standard HD plugs, gapped at .035 and about 30% of the events went away. Maybe something to try if you're running the SE stuff.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 08-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Spazz
Tourer

Stock plugs and wires.. gapped at .038

Old 08-20-2017, 06:31 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Are you sure the knock events are real? Do you hear the "click" just before the timing starts getting pulled?

Also note that you want to pull timing in the cells just BEFORE the knock event, as it's a reactionary system.

Good luck.

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Old 08-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Spazz
Tourer

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Are you sure the knock events are real? Do you hear the "click" just before the timing starts getting pulled?

Also note that you want to pull timing in the cells just BEFORE the knock event, as it's a reactionary system.

Good luck.

Hard to hear at 80 MPH with a 120ST and Boarzilla exhaust... but I can make it do it at a lower speed in the hills and yeah... I can hear it... so can my Brother behind me via the exhaust

Old 08-20-2017, 08:36 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Canned tunes rarely yield good results. Can't beat a professional tune to resolve your issues.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Spazz
OK.... I'll try to make this short....

New plugs.... just because....no oil or buildup but slightly on the white side near a tan color...

Canned map from FM for my PV and Target Tune for 120ST with Boss Boarzilla

running lean and getting spark knock on FRONT CYLINDER.. 3 times as many vs the rear.. and sometimes not at all on the rear.

This is all happening above 2800 rpms and 45Kpa and up pulling hills at above 75mph is the main scenario I see this.. not flat land cruising.

So... I increase fuel by 5% from 2800 and up across the table... smoothed it out.

Almost at .895 lambda in areas even lower in the higher ranges ( still getting 38mpg )

a little better, but not alot... spark retard is set to 6 degrees.... never touched it

I pull out 6 degrees of timing ( and smoothed)from the FRONT CYLINDER in the the same range as the fuel table mod... still have spark knock on the front, and now the REAR CYLINDER has spark knock is almost keeping up with the front!!!!

WTF!?!?!?!
I wouldn't use a canned map or a target tune if it were my bike. I would have the VE tables mapped by a professional on a Dyno, operate the bike the in closed loop with the narrow band sensors and rely on the Dyno tune for the open loop portion of your map.

Neverless -

Do you hear any ping/knock or are you just seeing knock events on your PV? Isn't the spark table advance just used to light the fuel at certain times for maximum efficiency and power and the the ION system just used to interrupt this lighting at times to keep the motor in a safe range? So you see the knock events recorded when "pulling up hills but do not see them when you are cruising on flat ground". Is this just the ION system backing advance off due to the load? Isn't this what it is supposed to do? I'm guessing that the advance shown in your spark tables are the best figures for efficiency and power but at times, due to load the ECM abandons them and pulls timing to prevent damage to the motor. Isn't this normal?

Old 08-23-2017, 04:41 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

you can run your auto tune in a spark learn only setting. it will not make changes to your ve tables, just spark,,,,,run the auto tune session and check the log info and try to ride and see how it feels, just remember to save your current tune before flashing the spark learned auto tune session so you can go back if there is something fishy,
m

Old 08-23-2017, 09:36 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
you can run your auto tune in a spark learn only setting. it will not make changes to your ve tables, just spark,,,,,run the auto tune session and check the log info and try to ride and see how it feels, just remember to save your current tune before flashing the spark learned auto tune session so you can go back if there is something fishy,
m
Does the PV AT spark learn mode work? I think Gordon fooled around with it for a bit. I think he concluded it didn't work very well. I'm not sure what problem he had with it. Iv'e never used it, so I don't know. If the OP uses it and he hits those high load areas and the PV AT recommends retarding the spark tables in those high load areas, is this okay? Is it okay to decrease the tables and set the base table advance from the high load readings?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:26 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Spazz
Stock plugs and wires.. gapped at .038

You can try .030 to see if there is any difference. If this does change things you know it is true knock. It is just to test things out.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Still having spark knock issues!!! KILLING ME!!!