The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Street ported 103 with Andrews 57H - My apologies for when I was not listening

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Street ported 103 with Andrews 57H - My apologies for when I was not listening

For anyone that noticed any of my questions/threads about tuning over the last couple of years, Steve asked if I had called it a day on the old bike.

The answer for the benefit of anyone who is curious is i did indeed call it a day ...but in a good way

To be very honest, and as a public apology for not listening to you guys as well as I should have been, the bike was running damned good when I traded it in for a new Fatboy 114.

I test rode a 114 and the first thought was not about it, but how well mine WAS actually running.

I had been chasing a ghost for the best part of two years ...thinking that I should be able to get the idle and very low load parts of the config running better than it was. Riding the 114 woke me up to the realisation that I had done rather well with mine after all

I learnt a hell of a lot over the time, and many thanks to all of the people for that ...and putting up with me asking stupid questions, and sometimes questioning the answers you gave (blush).

For anyone that is interested in collecting such things; I've attached my final map. It is not a professional map and is certainly not guaranteed for anything other than amusement, so play with it at your own peril It worked rather well for me tho. Runs reasonably well all the way from idle up to 6000, the 57H really coming on about the 2500 mark, and no knock even grabbing a handful at low revs. IVO/IVC is 7/29 which I found best for my build. Bear in mind this was on ported heads at 10:1

Incidentally, the last insult for me was building a map on the FP3 so that I could give that away with the bike. Copying the developed map from the Power Vision to the FP3 by hand was a nightmare!! and I flattened the battery on the bike twice, sat outside doing it all. What didn't help is the 2014 softail map in the FP3 has so many mistakes - headings in tables are not correct and the max revs in the App is 500 less than is actually applied to the ECU ...go figure!

Attached Files
File Type: zip
14S103_57H_SlipQt_GR.zip (18.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Gordon61; 11-04-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:53 AM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

when will you start working on the 114 tune ? :P

Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
For anyone that noticed any of my questions/threads about tuning over the last couple of years, Steve asked if I had called it a day on the old bike.

The answer for the benefit of anyone who is curious is i did indeed call it a day ...but in a good way

To be very honest, and as a public apology for not listening to you guys as well as I should have been, the bike was running damned good when I traded it in for a new Fatboy 114.

I test rode a 114 and the first thought was not about it, but how well mine WAS actually running.

I had been chasing a ghost for the best part of two years ...thinking that I should be able to get the idle and very low load parts of the config running better than it was. Riding the 114 woke me up to the realisation that I had done rather well with mine after all

I learnt a hell of a lot over the time, and many thanks to all of the people for that ...and putting up with me asking stupid questions, and sometimes questioning the answers you gave (blush).

For anyone that is interested in collecting such things; I've attached my final map. It is not a professional map and is certainly not guaranteed for anything other than amusement, so play with it at your own peril It worked rather well for me tho. Runs reasonably well all the way from idle up to 6000, the 57H really coming on about the 2500 mark, and no knock even grabbing a handful at low revs. IVO/IVC is 7/29 which I found best for my build. Bear in mind this was on ported heads at 10:1

Incidentally, the last insult for me was building a map on the FP3 so that I could give that away with the bike. Copying the developed map from the Power Vision to the FP3 by hand was a nightmare!! and I flattened the battery on the bike twice, sat outside doing it all. What didn't help is the 2014 softail map in the FP3 has so many mistakes - headings in tables are not correct and the max revs in the App is 500 less than is actually applied to the ECU ...go figure!
You sure we're bullheaded at times but you came along. Lol Congrats on the new ride.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:58 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Guilty (blush) ...I blame older age, but seriously, sorry if I pissed you off at any point guys.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
Guilty (blush) ...I blame older age, but seriously, sorry if I pissed you off at any point guys.
You learned and moved forward, that's all you can do. Now you get to help the next early (younger) Gordon along

Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

I thought you were always polite and professional. But I do compare you to guys that haven't successfully ever tuned a bike. Telling me that the code is screwed up and the IAT sensor is in the wrong place and the answer is to relocate it out of the intake. I have been attacked and tried to be discredited because I don't believe that IPW can be over 100%. I have also been attacked and tried to be discredited because I am too stupid to do anything else besides dyno tune for a living. I have even had my service as a US Marine attacked.

So, if I give you information, and you question it until you can test the theory. It is the only way you will get the knowledge. Let's start tuning the new one.

The following 3 users liked this post by hrdtail78:
FLTRI17 (11-08-2017), Mr. Wizard (11-08-2017), rustbelt shanks (11-17-2020)
Old 11-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
...But I do compare you to guys that haven't successfully ever tuned a bike...
Guilty as charged and THE one thing I have learned over the time is that a little box, with a canned map, and an "autotune" or two is not going to turn me into anything other than that.

You offered a lot of good information and pointers to things (that I did go off and test) and I very much appreciated that, so cheers mate, and the discreditors can bu99er off.

Anyway, as I said, a big thanks to those that know what the hell they are talking about ...and we know who you are