The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Stock tuned dynos (request)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Stock tuned dynos (request)

I am looking for dyno tunes on bikes that have not changed their exhaust. (Slip ons ok)

Almost all the information I am finding has a tune done at the same time an exhaust has been changed. I am curious to see how much is the tune and how much is the exhaust.

I am curious as to what can be done with a stock 'Tommy Gun' style exhaust as I like the look of mine and you don't see too many 2-1-2 around.
I have come across one LR-S that did a 117 swap on a stock exhaust. When he swapped in a TBR 2-1 later he only had a ~3hp/tq gain and lost some bottom end pull. While possible it was the pipe choice, it is interesting he barely got any gains over a tune on a stock exhaust. This makes me wonder what the stock pipes are capable of achieving with less restrictive mufflers.

And I've come across dyno comparisons on a Sportster 1200 that just changed out slip ons and didn't tune and they were seeing a gain of about 10hp/tq. This leads me to believe a lot of the restriction is found in the muffler and not the pipe.

I know a good system from top to bottom will provide the most gains, I am just curious as to how much is from a full system vs less restrictive mufflers and most of all, the tune. It would be good to know how much can actually be achieved with just a tune and slip ons vs assumptions and "needing" to change out a whole system. I am thinking that a good tune and good slip ons could result in about 95% of the power gains a full system can achieve, and may have a smoother curve and better bottom end.

Just trying to figure out what's true and what's just repeated information.

Thanks

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 12-08-2017 at 01:07 PM.