The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: The SEPST: keep it or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:17 AM
RomeoTango
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default The SEPST: keep it or not

I have a SEPST that came with the 2014 SG I bought a couple years ago (with Stage 1 upgrades). I am preparing now to upgrade cams (CR 570-2) and doing the work myself. Of course, I'll need a new tune.

In regards to shop/dyno tuning, I see very few that seem to use the SEPST. I get the ease of use of other tuners (PV in particular), but is there any disadvantage to using the SEPST? I read that it is a very capable tuner, but that the system itself is "old." In my area I found one tuner other than HD that says they can use the SEPST. I read many negative pieces on getting a tune a the local dealership.

Is the SEPST antiquated at this point? Should I bite the bullet and get something different?

Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Is yours the Super tuner or the Street tuner?
For 2017 and newer models, moco can’t allow use of super tuner in US due to EPA. Street tuner now must reportedly remain EPA compliant and thus isn’t as capable as aftermarket tuners on 2017 and newer bikes.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 AM
RomeoTango
Tourer

I have the Super Tuner Pro.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:52 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Nothing wrong with the Super Tuner. Where in Georgia are you located? Not all dealer tuners suck in Ga. Might can steer you to a good one.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 AM
RomeoTango
Tourer

I am in Augusta. Timms HD is local. I agree that there are some well-capable dealers around, but I cannot seem to find any good opinions/advice. Appreciate the assist!

Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Sorry, most of the dealers I know about are in the Atlanta area. Sounds like you are doing your homework so you will do fine.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 399 Likes on 283 Posts

Buy the cables, do a little research and upgrade your tuning yourself. The Pro Super Tuner is a very capable tuner that also allows you to record while you ride and fine tune the results. It is not that hard to set up and dyno tune either.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
Buy the cables, do a little research and upgrade your tuning yourself. The Pro Super Tuner is a very capable tuner that also allows you to record while you ride and fine tune the results. It is not that hard to set up and dyno tune either.
Basically good advice here. That said, there is always a learning curve to be invested in any new software program. Need to read the manual a couple times and ask questions about how to get the most from a street tune.
Other than that, some owners just want their bike to run great without going through the education and trial and error exercising necessary to get up to speed with new systems. They take their bike for a proper dyno tune...which maximizes all the performance points in the tune. This includes timing for best performance and mileage. Cold and warm startup quality minimizing decel backfiring...none of which is available through Harley’s products.
Bob

Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 AM
RomeoTango
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
...none of which is available through Harley’s products.
Bob
Bob, are you saying that not all performance elements are accessible with the SE Super Tuner Pro? I would assume that shop tuning with a dyno uses the same software coupled with my device. Is that not correct?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:57 PM
jhbr107
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, A Dyno shop uses the same software available to everyone. The SESPT is very limited on available tuning tables compared to TTS and PV.

Quick Reply: HARLEY: The SEPST: keep it or not