The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: FP3 On A Stock Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Sidehacker
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FP3 On A Stock Bike?

I have a 2013 Road King that is totally stock. It stalls sometimes at stop lights but starts again easily. The idle seems a little rough to me but I can't remember exactly how smooth it was when it was new. Is there any harm to putting a FP3 on it and giving it a try?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:38 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

No harm but you shouldn’t expect the FP3 to fix a hardware issue. Check for intake leaks, spark plugs/ wires, codes before throwing a tuner at it and thinking it’s going to hide the real issue.

The following users liked this post:
Sidehacker (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Always verify proper operation of engine prior to adding aftermarket fuel controllers or tuning. The bike should not stall out at stop lights and this should be addressed first.

Sidehacker (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Sidehacker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jbarr1
No harm but you shouldn’t expect the FP3 to fix a hardware issue. Check for intake leaks, spark plugs/ wires, codes before throwing a tuner at it and thinking it’s going to hide the real issue.
This is where I really do need to start. Last Summer the bike started to cut out and miss after it was warmed up and then progressed to get worse to the point that it wouldn't stay running after it was warmed up. I couldn't find the problem and the shop I had work on it found a vacuum leak at the intake manifold and head. They said the factory installed the seal or gasket wrong and it was doubled over on itself. I rode the bike until riding season was over but I think I should buy all new intake gaskets and seals and pull it apart myself and replace them again. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Sidehacker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jbarr1
I finally had time to work on the bike, took some vacation from work. New plugs and wires fixed this problem! Thanks again. I'm still going to put an FP3 on because I like the capability to read codes with it and from what I've read they can adjust for gas quality and other variables that the factory ECM does not.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:33 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,375 Likes on 2,928 Posts

My son with his '17 Iron, and myself with my '17 Superlow both found the completely stock bikes ran much better reflashing with V&H stock MAP compared to the factory one.

I'm not willing to try the autotune feature as some have had good results, and some have had major headaches trying it. The bike runs great, and I'm not messing with a good thing...

Sidehacker (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:56 AM
Sidehacker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by firehawk6
My son with his '17 Iron, and myself with my '17 Superlow both found the completely stock bikes ran much better reflashing with V&H stock MAP compared to the factory one.

I'm not willing to try the autotune feature as some have had good results, and some have had major headaches trying it. The bike runs great, and I'm not messing with a good thing...
Thanks, I'll give that a try when I put it on.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6

You can copy the map you like with a new file name and try auto tune with that map. If you don't like it you can always go back to the one you like.

Sidehacker (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Sidehacker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gozzie
You can copy the map you like with a new file name and try auto tune with that map. If you don't like it you can always go back to the one you like.
I'll keep that trick in mind too. J&P has Vance & Hines products on sale this weekend, 10% off. When I'm done here I'm going to their website and order it right now.