The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Is the Power Commander V a solution?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:03 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Is the Power Commander V a solution?

Recently I bought a 2019 114 M8 bike. Bought the service manual, a SE street tuner and some SE slip ons, but haven't used either yet as the slip ons haven't arrived yet - expecting them today. Excited to at least get some better sound with the slip ons.

Not planning on anything else until my factory warranty is up, as I am well aware of the warranty void if a third party flash/exhaust is used (detected). I understand that while the local dealer can't detect a flash if the original tune is reapplied prior to bringing it in for service, but I also understand there is a tool HD has to detect if a third party tune had previously been installed which is used for all bigger warranty claims. So I won't take the chance, esp. with the potential problems with the M8 motor (though they are diminishing it seems - nevertheless)

That said, I just found that the Power Commander V is now available for the 2018+ bikes. Am I correct in thinking this could give more control then the SE tuner provides, and once removed leaves no trace since it's an "after then ECM" kit? Naturally you would need to get slip ons w/o cats as the enriched fuel program would likely cook the cats, but that said, could the Power Commander V be a solution?

Not saying at all that I am going to do it, as the stock 114 as it is has PLENTY of power and I'm sure I could easily live with it as a stage 1. Just thinking out loud.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Don't know, on my bike 103 Power commander 5 I put on its before the ecm o2 censers are of the bike. it was dyno tuned too. So maybe it would work. If it did maybe you can get some sound out of them new ones.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:47 AM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Yes and no - I looked into this as well. Basically, yes - a piggyback tuner like that won't flash the ECM, it works by modifying the signals to and from the ECM to get the results it wants. So, if you have an issue you can simply remove it and take the bike in.

However, I also say "no", because if you put several mods on your bike, and something happens, and you remove the PCV, then the dealer might ask how do you have so many mods without a tune, at least a SE tuner. I believe some mods such as A/C require SE tuner. So in this case, might not help you.

However, let's say you do full exhaust, A/C, and PCV. Bike breaks down, you have it towed home and you put it back to stock 100%. Then you can take it in and shouldn't have any issues.

These are just my thoughts from looking into the same thing myself, I have no data to back them up.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
Yes and no - I looked into this as well. Basically, yes - a piggyback tuner like that won't flash the ECM, it works by modifying the signals to and from the ECM to get the results it wants. So, if you have an issue you can simply remove it and take the bike in.

However, I also say "no", because if you put several mods on your bike, and something happens, and you remove the PCV, then the dealer might ask how do you have so many mods without a tune, at least a SE tuner. I believe some mods such as A/C require SE tuner. So in this case, might not help you.

However, let's say you do full exhaust, A/C, and PCV. Bike breaks down, you have it towed home and you put it back to stock 100%. Then you can take it in and shouldn't have any issues.

These are just my thoughts from looking into the same thing myself, I have no data to back them up.
Agree, I already have the SE tuner, and a set of SE street cannon slip ons (Cat equipped pipes). Don't plan on a 2:1 until warranty is up. This way in theory if it needed service, the PCV comes off, as do any cat-less slip one, and the SE tune and compliant pipes goes on.

Then the next question, will the PCV work on top of a HD Stage 1 (SEPST) EPA compliant tune on the ECM?

Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 AM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Then the next question, will the PCV work on top of a HD Stage 1 (SEPST) EPA compliant tune on the ECM?
You;d have to ask if they have a map for that.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:09 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

yes it will work, just need to tune it on the dyno to make sure that everything is correct, but it would work.
m

Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

What is the name of the tool HD uses for bigger warranty claims? The one that tells if it was ever flashed with an aftermarket device. Is it only used by Santa Claus as he is riding a unicorn as he is on a date with the tooth fairy?

Old 09-22-2018, 03:04 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

it is called Digital Technician and is a Proprietary HD tool, the connects to servers at HD. No non authorized dealer is allowed or supposed to have Digital Tech. I don't know which version they are up to now, when i left the dealer in 09 they were at DT2. This tool is the electronic diagnostic tool windows based computer. Because it can talk ( through the internet) directly with the factory, all vin and ecm data can and is sent back and forth from the motor company. if it catches a signal or info that it doesn't like, the motor company knows. I am not awaye of what the algorithm is that they use, but it does work. This tool is used in the diagnostic process, so if the tool is plugged in to check codes or perform diagnostic testing, it gets the info.
m

Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by marcodarq
it is called Digital Technician and is a Proprietary HD tool, the connects to servers at HD. No non authorized dealer is allowed or supposed to have Digital Tech. I don't know which version they are up to now, when i left the dealer in 09 they were at DT2. This tool is the electronic diagnostic tool windows based computer. Because it can talk ( through the internet) directly with the factory, all vin and ecm data can and is sent back and forth from the motor company. if it catches a signal or info that it doesn't like, the motor company knows. I am not awaye of what the algorithm is that they use, but it does work. This tool is used in the diagnostic process, so if the tool is plugged in to check codes or perform diagnostic testing, it gets the info.
m
I understand what a DT is, and how it is used. My comment was addressing the "other" device used to tell what has been flashed to the ECM even though the original calibration was put back into the ECM. The DT can not do that. How many times it has been flashed, yes. With what or aftermarket tuner, no.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by marcodarq
m
Originally Posted by hrdtail78
I understand what a DT is, and how it is used. My comment was addressing the "other" device used to tell what has been flashed to the ECM even though the original calibration was put back into the ECM. The DT can not do that. How many times it has been flashed, yes. With what or aftermarket tuner, no.
There's a lot of mixed and misinformation out there it seems. I was told that while the local service depts can't tell if a non-HD tune was flashed, that an application the regional managers has, can. And also the ECM can be sent to HD Corp where they for sure can see the flash history. It was my understanding that for major (i.e. big cost) warranty claims the MOCO looks hard at the ECM.

Again, this is ALL hearsay, as I have no first hand experience with this.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Is the Power Commander V a solution?