The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Can you go back to stock with a Super Tuner Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:33 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default Can you go back to stock with a Super Tuner Pro?

My buddy bought a 2014 Ultra Glide and it came with the orange Super Tuner Pro. I believe either someone put the wrong maps in or they are corrupted because it has no power and is running so rich it permeates into your clothes riding it. I want to take this back to a stock map and after we have confirmed it's running ok we can load the correct map for his setup.

So,

Question #1: How do I load the base/stock map on the ECU? I do not see any way to do this in the SW
Question #2: How to you get to the part where you can choose a Stage 1 map?
Question #3: What map would we need to use for Vance& Hines Power Duals with 4" Eliminators?

He is bringing the bike with the tuner over today and I was hoping to not be poking around in the SW aimlessly. I have been online looking for good vids but couldn't find anything other than ones for going into record mode.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

There are no stock maps in the Super Tuner. The dealer can do it (it’s a free download for them) but they’ll probably charge an hours labor to do it.
You might check for any codes first and look at the data with engine running to check for reasonable/ steady engine temp readings. Make sure the engine is healthy with no mechanical issues first!
Without the software in front of me, I couldn’t direct you to the map library but it’s easy enough to find.
I think I would skip the stock map idea and just load a stage 1 map for that bike. It will only be a starting point from which to tune further. You might try the smart tune function to develop the tune further but a dyno tune by a competent tuner would be your best bet.
Dont expect to find a canned tune that will fit the bike exactly— they don’t exist.

edit— if the bike is water cooled, try map # 621SEN205.dto
if it’s an air cooled model, try #621SHA203.dto

Last edited by jbarr1; 03-22-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:32 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jbarr1

if it’s an air cooled model, try #621SHA203.dto
Thanks a ton. I thought it might be like a FP3 where it saved a base map before any tuning started. Since that is out, I just need to figure out how to get to the part where I can load the Stage 1 map. I haven't sat in front of the SW yet and I am pretty good at figuring out SW stuff (due to many years in tech support) so I'll see what I can do but appreciate any help I can get. I was walking my friend through it but never using the SW and not being able to see puts me at a disadvantage.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 AM
jbarr1
Road Master

When you open the software, click on the Tuning icon.
You can either fill in the blanks and it will suggest a map or just select “manually select file”
Then just select the map you want and go from there.
Select the flash icon to reprogram.

There is a chance that the original tune is stored in the VCI. To check, go to the tuning icon and select “load calibration file”. Next to the available calibrations is a small box marked VCI. Select that and if previous tune is stored, it will list it there. Note that the previous tune may not be the stock tune!

To check for codes, go to the toolbox icon. Select DTCs. To look at live data, select the data icon.

Last edited by jbarr1; 03-22-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

You can either fill in the blanks and it will suggest a map or just select “manually select file”

There is a chance that the original tune is stored in the VCI. To check, go to the tuning icon and select “load calibration file”. Next to the available calibrations is a small box marked VCI. Select that and if previous tune is stored, it will list it there.

To check for codes, go to the toolbox icon. Select DTCs. To look at live data, select the data icon.
Awesome. Thanks.

My buddy got the map loaded that was referenced above and I haven't heard back yet, I assume he is riding it. He said that before loading it, in the Vehicle Info is said it was "tuned for race". I have no idea what that means, just passing it on in case it is familiar or makes sense to anyone.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

There are no stock maps in the Super Tuner. The dealer can do it (it’s a free download for them) but they’ll probably charge an hours labor to do it.
You might check for any codes first and look at the data with engine running to check for reasonable/ steady engine temp readings. Make sure the engine is healthy with no mechanical issues first!
Without the software in front of me, I couldn’t direct you to the map library but it’s easy enough to find.
I think I would skip the stock map idea and just load a stage 1 map for that bike. It will only be a starting point from which to tune further. You might try the smart tune function to develop the tune further but a dyno tune by a competent tuner would be your best bet.
Dont expect to find a canned tune that will fit the bike exactly— they don’t exist.

There is a chance that the original tune is stored in the VCI. To check, go to the tuning icon and select “load calibration file”. Next to the available calibrations is a small box marked VCI. Select that and if previous tune is stored, it will list it there.

He got the map installed and it's still running rough and chugging gas out of the tail pipe. I remembered that these (Rushmore Bikes) had an issue with the front spark plug wire rubbing the tank and causing arching, he checked the wire and it's half eaten through so we are going to swap the wire and check the plugs and air cleaner. Suffice to say, we have got the tune part figured out. When I finally get to sit down and check this out in person I will go check all the codes and see if there is anything else.

Thanks for the help on the tuner.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:26 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Still running very rich, new air filter, plugs and wires are ok. Is there any issues with this motor? Smell strong when idleing and I can smell gas when riding behind it. Stuck fuel injector? Bad sensor?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 AM
jbarr1
Road Master

Have a competent tuner look at it on the dyno. Most will do an evaluation for reasonable dollars.
Have you checked for codes and looked at engine temp sensor operation?

As stated earlier, don’t expect a canned map to be very close to a properly tuned engine.

Last edited by jbarr1; 03-25-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:38 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Have a competent tuner look at it on the dyno. Most will do an evaluation for reasonable dollars.
Have you checked for codes and looked at engine temp sensor operation?

As stated earlier, don’t expect a canned map to be very close to a properly tuned engine.
There are no codes but this is running so rich that you smell like gas just riding it around the bock. The smell is coming from the pipes so there isn't (or doesn't seem to be) a gas leak. Running a Stage 1 map if anything this bike should be running lean. He is going to see if the dealer he bought it from will take a look at it. He has only had it for a month and barely has a few hundred miles. We'll see what they say.

If I had to guess I would say an injector is stuck open but I am pretty sure that would pull a code and since there are no codes, going to keep looking.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:44 AM
jbarr1
Road Master

I’ll ask one more time— have you checked engine temp sensor operation? It can fail without setting a code and cause those symptoms.

Quick Reply: HARLEY: Can you go back to stock with a Super Tuner Pro?