The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: WARNING TO POTENTIAL BUYERS: FuelPak FP3 forever married!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 05:34 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf_59
Hard to stay in business if people could just pass these tuners around but the end users should be made aware of this before purchasing the product

In the J&P catalog, it's printed in bold script that the FP3 is married to that bike and are not returnable.

Research would protect you before you buy.

I bought my Power Commander 3 used and I was able to use it on my '07 Ultra.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:21 AM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay I have read and reread this forum and I have researched the FP3 so I know and understand it marries the vin number of one bike the original bike you use it on but I am not understanding from this thread if there truly are tuners out there that one can buy and use on bike after bike? Like a lot of information on here you have to be a Harley tech, a scientist, and a engineer to read it and figure out what's been said...which by the way I find not usefull at all on a forum where many novices that want to learn and do work on their bikes come for help...off rant...now could someone let me know in layman's terms...is there a tuner I can buy that does allow me to use it on several bikes so I can make that informed decision to go that route or just buy the FP3 anyway? I am about to make a purchase in the next while.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

The tts will let you buy one additional license for a second bike.The Power Vision also will let you buy a license for each additional bike.Dont know if there's a limit.Theres a local tuner that buys a license every time he tunes a bike.You pay $200 for the license plus the time.$400-500 per tune.Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf_59
Hard to stay in business if people could just pass these tuners around but the end users should be made aware of this before purchasing the product

Why do you say that? I bought an S&S Super E years ago that I ran on two different bikes until I gave it to a buddy and he's still running it on his bike. Last I checked S&S was still in business. People do it all the time with carbs, engines, cases, trannys, ignitions, why should tuners be any different? When I see companies making their products single use items like that I consider that to be a great big middle finger-gotcha to the customer. I guess the tuner folks are taking their cues from places like Micro-Shaft.

Last edited by Hey Man; 10-24-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
It`s beginning to look as though these tuners are just another way to get into our pockets and keep us there. No thanks.
A Keihin CV 42 don't know who it's married to

Old 10-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Question You're surprised.... why?

I don't understand why the OP is surprised by this. I researched a number of tuners but having the V&H Propipe 2 into 1 the FP3 was the best fit for my bike. V&H spells out clearly in all of their info that the tuner will be married to the vin.

My old boss used to tell me:

"if you are going to read at all....read it all".

For the record I am very happy with the new map/tune I got from the FP3, more power {Hp & torque}, a lot less heat and it sounds awesome!

The following users liked this post:
pappy42 (05-07-2021)
Old 10-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

jeez, is this thread still going ...slow news day or what

Old 06-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Ironmaxx
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
I found out the hard way. Purchased a FP3 a couple months ago. It works great and was exactly what I needed until I decided to take my build a little further. My plans were to flash my bike back to stock which I thought would "unmarry" it and sell the FP3 for some money towards the Power Vision tuner. Well, that can't be done. Call FuelPak and they confirmed. Once the FP3 is installed it is married to that vin FOREVER, no matter what, period, end of story, no using it on another bike if you sell yours, and stock flash, unmarry, and sell option.

What a load of ****. I've had a ton of car, truck, and bike tuners in the past and have never seen a tuner that won't flash to stock, unmarry, and be able to be used on another bike or sold.

I'm pissed and just wanted to pass the info on to those who are considering the FP3.
Thanks, this was very helpful, almost bought a used one on eBay

Old 10-09-2017, 07:43 AM
UR2EZ
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Street Glide FP3

Question: I understand that you can't unmarry the FP3 once it has been installed but what if you swap ECM's with the bike that it is married to? If so, what all issues may arise if you go this route?
Also, I am currently running a spike air cleaner and 4 1/2" RC Components slip-ons. What are some good dual head pipes that I can go with and what gains/improvements could I expect? Would it be worth changing my stock head pipes as well?
Any help in these matters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas and have a great day!

Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Souzafone
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are putting a used ecm & tuner from one bike to another the pairing should be ok. Someone else will have to answer if you will need to be reflashed for the vehicle info, such as mileage, gearing, etc. What I mean is you may have to marry the ecm to the bike and then lose the ability to use the fp3, I know the mileage is recorded in the ecm but don't know what else is.

Quick Reply: No Device: WARNING TO POTENTIAL BUYERS: FuelPak FP3 forever married!!!