"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

US 41 / FL 90 South Florida

Old 06-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default US 41 / FL 90 South Florida

Florida Crew,

Wife and I are planning a 2 week ride from GA in October. Hitting Biketoberfest for a couple of days, heading south to Key West. Back up the west coast to Panama City for the Thunderbeach Rally.

Now I know the east coast of Florida and a lot of the panhandle like the back of my hand. Been to rallies in Daytona and PCB more than I care to remember so I know all those areas well.

What I don't know is the area below Miami towards Key West or much about the west coast up to the panhandle.

We're leaving Daytona and staying in Florida City on a Sunday night, heading down to Key west on Monday and staying there Monday night.

Tuesday morning we will leaving Key West and headed to Spring Hill for Tuesday night before heading to PCB on Wednesday.

My main question is about US41 / FL90 across the bottom end of Florida. Anyone know anything about this route? We will probably pick up I-75 around Naples.

Also, any suggestions for around the Key West area? Never been below Miami / Doral area, not sure what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

Lilman

Old 06-05-2015, 09:17 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

KW to Spring Hill is a long day. I'm near Tampa and it's close to 5 hrs just to Miami. Getting from KW to Miami is another coupe hours with normal traffic. My bet is that will be an 8-9 day depending on traffic. Our last trip home from KW was just shy of 8 hrs on a Sunday with no rush hour traffic, and that was in the Corvette and a little um, ah, spirited driving in places. On weekdays, you'll hit heavy traffic around Ft Myers, Sarasota, and Tampa.

US41 is a great road to ride, much better scenery than Alligator Alley on I-75. My last 2 trips to the Miami area for work were on that route, also took it our last trip to KW. I told my wife that would be a great ride. We take I-75 to either 951 in Naples or to 29 and take one of those down to 41. Taking 29 is quicker since you don't have to go through Naples. We always see lots of bikes around that area.

92 runs south off 41 down to Marco Island and would be a great ride also.

Hope that helps

Old 06-06-2015, 05:51 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Thanks slapshot! I figured KW to Spring Hill was going to be a 9-10 hour day. We can usually do 5-600 mile day, 10 to 12 hours, but that is the limit. My butt is wore out way before then!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Sounds like you're savvy to FL, but, like 'slapshot' mentioned, traffic in S FL sux on the weekends and during rush hours.
Stay safe, ride smart, and enjoy.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Rode 41 last Sunday. It's nice if you like a slower pace, speed limit is 55 and folks stick to it as there are radar traps in the Miccosukee reservation.

Here is a ride I like. From Daytona get on the turnpike at Indiantown, it's easier on a bike IMHO than 95 through SFL with much fewer exits. Go 595 west to US 27 South. By the way if you buy a sunpass at Sunpass.com you can add your bike's license place to your account and you don't need to carry the Sunpass.

On US 27 about 5-6 miles south of 595 there is Cafe 27 which has a huge bike show every Sunday. I'm usually there for a little while. Decent food and live bands.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cafe-27/126466107364373

From Cafe 27 I like to take Krome Avenue (997) to Florida City, it's a desolate road until the very end but I like Everglades scenery and you can usually go at a good clip.

From Florida City I take Card Sound Road (go left at Last Chance Saloon) to the north end of Key Largo and I always eat at Alabama Jacks.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alaba...43677665777163

From there cross the bridge and get onto Key Largo and head south. It's a little longer than US 1 but the scenery is better.

On the way back I hear decent things about Gilberts on US 1 at Jewfish creek, I've never been there but heard it's biker friendly. You can take the US 1 north route back, stop at Gilberts then get back on Krome in Florida City to 41 to the west coast.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gilbe...123073?fref=ts

There's a guy Lucky Cole on the loop road off 41 that is an interesting chap, I keep meaning to ride down there on a Sunday, apparently it's a bit of a biker hangout on the weekends and he serves food and cold beverages.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/arts/lu...-video-6511453

On the west coast there's a biker bar I went to, Stan's on Goodland island, live band, interesting crowd, but darn expensive beverages.

http://www.floridabeachbar.com/Bars/stans.asp

That time of year, plan to be HOT and to get WET. It'll rain just about every day in the afternoon - you might be able to dodge it but you have limited options to dodge and it might rain really hard. Morning should be good for riding until about 1-2 pm. Evenings are usually good after it rains, say around 5-6. I don't mind riding after dark with my LED light and the fact we don't have many deer down here.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:57 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Thanks Joe!

Great information! Having spent a great deal of time in FL during that part of the year, I am well aware of the afternoon "showers". Actually, where we live inland from Savannah GA is about the same climate, just a little cooler in October than south FL.

Already ordered a Sunpass, something I have been meaning to do for my work vehicle but haven't. Something the upcoming trip reminded me to do.

You have given me some good ideas and locations to put into our route. I'll definitely check them out and add to our growing list!