"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

OT Sunpass Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 AM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I took the suction cups off and used heavy duty velcro to mount it on the front of the saddlebag lid on the inside. I used the plastic heavy duty velcro, called Gator grip or something like that. I mounted it on the front angled part of the right saddlebag lid. It gets picked up almost every time. I have one for each vehicle so I don't have to move them around, and al vehicles are registered with Surpass also.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Dang, I called them up and the girl told me I had to get the portable transponder. Going to look into this for sure, that would be nice only adding the tag.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Lighteye
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Dang, I called them up and the girl told me I had to get the portable transponder. Going to look into this for sure, that would be nice only adding the tag.
As soon as you realize that Sunpass is a private third party company that maintains the toll extravaganza here, and all they care about is profit, her answer makes sense.

If, on the other hand, you are pissed off that your tax dollars were used to pay for the road in the first place, and that your tax dollars are also used to maintain it, you see what a frigging scam it is. A government sanctioned one, yes, but a scam nonetheless.

Forget the additional transponder. I did, and I go over the Skyway daily. Registering my bike's plate to the transponder was the answer.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lighteye
As soon as you realize that Sunpass is a private third party company that maintains the toll extravaganza here, and all they care about is profit, her answer makes sense.

If, on the other hand, you are pissed off that your tax dollars were used to pay for the road in the first place, and that your tax dollars are also used to maintain it, you see what a frigging scam it is. A government sanctioned one, yes, but a scam nonetheless.

Forget the additional transponder. I did, and I go over the Skyway daily. Registering my bike's plate to the transponder was the answer.
Didn't ask me for a transponder # when I added the scoot earlier today. We'll see how it goes, worst scenario I get billed snail mail. You sure are one anti gov ****, we'd prob get along...lmfao

Old 10-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Snail mail bill costs an extra bit, maybe $.25-.50 in tolls plus the service fee for the bill....you might want to get back on the horn with them and make sure you did everything right to get your scoot plate on there.

I have an account and two transponders and I know I had to add that long transponder number so it sounds like you may have missed something....

I'd hate for you to pay THE MAN any more than you have to!!

Old 10-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Snail mail bill costs an extra bit, maybe $.25-.50 in tolls plus the service fee for the bill....you might want to get back on the horn with them and make sure you did everything right to get your scoot plate on there.

I have an account and two transponders and I know I had to add that long transponder number so it sounds like you may have missed something....

I'd hate for you to pay THE MAN any more than you have to!!
I know you're right, brother. Just pointing out what the lady said. I did add the scoots tag, we'll see where it goes. Next month I get snail mail bill I'll call them up

Old 10-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Cool.

Also, once you set up an account, you can go to sunpass.com and log in with your transponder number (12 digits) and your 4 digit pin, then you can check your activity or balance any time.

Why do this you may ask? Well, truth is since I ride in the express lanes and it's sometimes $12 each way, but free for me with a hybrid, I do check it usually once a month because they charge me by mistake and $12 adds up fast!! They send me a stupid summary statement in the mail each month with no details so I log in and check my details... express lane hit stand out for me so it's easy to see a mistake.

They don't make many mistakes to their credit, but they do once in a while.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

@ Joe...We've had an account for years, two vehicles. I never gave it much thought checking it monthly to keep them honest, I will now > *laffs

Old 10-16-2015, 06:19 AM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I rarely use mine, but took both bikes together on the Sawgrass yesterday. I had the transponder in the glove box. Not sure if it would read that way or not, but I thought I'd try it out. I just checked my account's activity and it does not look like it read it, so it looks as if I will be getting a snail mail billing. Both plates/bikes are on my account. So I am curious as to how this will be handled vs. just being billed by plate not attached to an account. When I get it, I'll post how it all played out...

Old 10-16-2015, 07:17 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I meant to tell you we should have gone through the toll side by side. I've heard that it only reads one tag, it would have been a good test.

Quick Reply: OT Sunpass Question