"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

TD holiday part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:25 PM
T D
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool TD holiday part 2

Well, I've tried putting it off, but here's part 2 of the holiday if anybody is bothered after so long!
We left Rapid City at about ten thirty in the morning, and landed at Fort Meyers that night at ten thirty with an hour or so to drive to Marco. It made it a fek'n long day! We took in Denver and Houston along the way, getting charged a few bucks at Denver for a smoke which I wasn't happy with, but what the hell. Denver HD has an outlet in the airport, so I left with the obligatory t shirt and sew on patch. No such luck at Houston as there wasn't an outlet there, AND we had to haul *** to get the connection.
We'd set up base at Marco, but then had four nights in Orlando, taking in Sea World,Universal and the Hard Rock. TD collects Hard Rock badges as well!
We managed to get across to Daytona for grub on the pier and some bits from Bruce Rossmeyer's HD and J&P's.
On the way back south, we had some more grub on Clearwater beach and very nice it was to!
Some shopping trips were had, but I did manage to get a couple of biographies on The Allman Brothers and Willie Nelson, so I had some reading fodder for the evenings.
We took in Fort Lauderdale for a day, but didn't do the place justice, so we will be back at some point. I managed to get to the Hard Rock, but not an HD dealer.While I was at the Hard Rock complex, I tried finding somewhere to buy some cd's. Sensible idea eh? No!!! I couldn't find an outlet at all. When I asked, I was told that downloads are the thing. OK, I know I'm not young, but you'd think that I'd be able to buy music at a Hard Rock. Maybe it's just me?
I had to order some of the bits from J & P, so I was waiting for a delivery. Three days I waited in for them because I couldn't afford to miss the courier.
The next trip out was near the end of our stay. We decided to have an overnite down in Key West.
As I was so "cream crackered" I slept a fair bit on the way down and missed quite a serious bit of road kill, but I'll get back to that later.
One road into the Keys, and one road out.
The traffic suddenly stopped in the middle of the Keys as there was an accident on one of the bridges. An hour and a half we were there! The only good part was walking alongside the highway for a smoke in that baking hot sun. Far more enjoyable than sitting in the motor!
In Key West, we did the tourist train around the place,rather than just hovering about Duval Street. We managed to do that during the evening tho, taking in Sloppy Joe's, the Hard Rock,the HD outlet and then watching the sun go down with the rest of the revelers. I really enjoyed the short time that we had there!!
On the way back, we went along Alligator Alley to Marco. I was told that we might see the road kill that they'd told me about, and yes we did.
A fourteen or fifteen foot 'gator on the side of the highway!! Apparently, somebody else had hit it because his rudder was detached from the rest of the body! You'll have to excuse me for this because we don't see things like that in the UK. Could be that it's common place for one or two of you maybe?
The other thing about here was the waterway that ran alongside the highway. It had 'gators in it as I could see them. Now theoretically, I could be riding along there, have a blow out on the bike and could possibly end up in that water! Not TD's idea of fun, AND I'm not much of a swimmer!!!
The last night, I was in a foul mood not wanting to return to the UK, but I reasoned, if I don't go back, then I'll never be able to return!
I guess I'll mention the tropical storms at this point coz they did happen. I spent many nights sat out by the pool, with beer, book and something to smoke. Most nights, I watched the storm come in, and when it arrived, it was like being at a rock concert, with Keith Moon or John Bonham slamming down on their floor drums followed by Phil Collins doing one of his drum riffs across the sky!
Unfortunately, the holiday came to an end, and we flew from Fort Myers to Atlanta. At Atlanta I had to go through security with my bag coz my brake pads were lighting the system up. (Talking of which, the nuts and bolts in my leg set off every airports "security doors" which they've never done before, possibly something since 7/11?)
Anyway, the young lady that checked my bag, (No, that's not a metaphor!)I could quite easily have brought her home as she was lovely!!
Well, that was the holiday, and I totally enjoyed myself. There was plenty of what if's, or we should've done that, but all in all, we had a cool time, saw some wonderful things and met some great people.
Thank you very much Uncle Sam, we hope to see you in the not to distant future!!

TD

Attached Thumbnails TD holiday part 2-td-and-heather-with-arry-potter-s-mate.jpg   TD holiday part 2-td-and-lynn-at-daytona-pier-with-full-bellies-.jpg  

Last edited by T D; 10-04-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:05 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Next time you're here rent a bike and we'll go ride the SE coast of Florida.

You're a great writer - I enjoyed reading your blurb.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:00 PM
T D
Road Master
Cool

Ah bless you, and I love you to flower! (and you don't need the universal translator!!)
Yes, a bike will be a must have next time I reckon. I've had enuf of Orlando personally, well maybe the Ace, so I'd be more into seeing or doing other things this time. I've not been to the Kennedy Space Center or Cocoa Beach yet, or been through the middle of the State, so there's plenty of scope.
Could be we're about when a Biketoberfest is on because it won't be as hot for us, unless I wear my DP Gumby handkerchief on my swede!
I've dipped my toe in to two previous ones, but they've both been starting the day we fly out! But I've got shirts and pin badges and I've had a beer or two in the Boot Hill.

TD

Old 10-05-2015, 02:24 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Biketoberfest starts next week, I might ride up with JoeG from the forums for the day, it's about 250 miles each way.
Bike Week is March, it's usually cold for us but you might find it just like an English summer's day (or autumn or spring or winter since it's always about the same in Blighty). Fly and rent a bike?

Old 10-05-2015, 02:36 PM
T D
Road Master
Cool

I'm not in a position to turn up next week unfortunately, but fingers crossed eh, coz stranger things have happened!!!! No, that's not the way my luck runs btw! I'm one of those that if I fell in a bucket of ****, I'd come out sucking my thumb!
Daytona could be a possibility one year I reckon, but fly ride I don't think will be an option. It'll be hire a bike for a few days I'm guessing.

TD

Old 10-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

That damn Englishman back again I see > lmfao
Get around Tampa Bay area yell at me, lunch on me.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:17 PM
T D
Road Master
Cool

I'm pleased to see that you're aware that I'm English. I had to correct a few of your countrymen on the topic. I'm English, not Australian or British.
I've never been to Tampa, and it is on my shopping list at some point. We did have a look at holiday lets in or around the area, but I was outvoted. Democracy sucked just this once!
There's the hard Rock, and a few HD dealers about, so that'll help me. We haven't been to Bush Gardens either.
Glad you both enjoy my observations.

TD

Old 10-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by T D
I'm pleased to see that you're aware that I'm English. I had to correct a few of your countrymen on the topic. I'm English, not Australian or British.
I've never been to Tampa, and it is on my shopping list at some point. We did have a look at holiday lets in or around the area, but I was outvoted. Democracy sucked just this once!
There's the hard Rock, and a few HD dealers about, so that'll help me. We haven't been to Bush Gardens either.
Glad you both enjoy my observations.

TD
lmfao...rest assured you'll get southern white boy kinda jargon when ya show up around here, you wont need a translator! It's evident as hell what we say

Old 10-06-2015, 09:08 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Funny that, we're not British, I think of myself as English.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

@ TD...Busch Gardens is worthwhile although I prefer it when they do one of their seasonal events. The HallowScream, Christmas, New Years, events are always a bonus. The grandkids have the year pass for the rides, I got a lil aged for that but it's always fun watchin the kids.
The three HD sites are decent with the one in Port Ritchey a must see. Most folks ride north on the weekends for the country roads, scenery, and comradery. The High Octane Saloon is another must see depending on the band but watch that you do NOT get too ripped as Doug will confiscate the scoot...lol

Quick Reply: TD holiday part 2