"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Are mandatory helmets in our future here in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 06:10 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I don't understand the meaning behind this post?
In other words my friend, with not wearing helmets, you are more apt not to survive a nasty fall and more bodies will be harvested for parts. You know, those who are allowing after their death to have good organs like eyes, kidney, spleen, liver, etc.... to be removed and sent to another person waiting for organs.

I know, sounds gross but it does help those in need and statistically, when helmet or no helmet or helmet optional laws are passed, the death rates coincide accordingly.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-25-2016, 08:06 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 538 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
In other words my friend, with not wearing helmets, you are more apt not to survive a nasty fall and more bodies will be harvested for parts. You know, those who are allowing after their death to have good organs like eyes, kidney, spleen, liver, etc.... to be removed and sent to another person waiting for organs.

I know, sounds gross but it does help those in need and statistically, when helmet or no helmet or helmet optional laws are passed, the death rates coincide accordingly.

BuzzCap7
You really don't have to condescend to me, I suspected that was the logic. I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but in the event of a "nasty fall" a rider is more likely to 'survive' and 'live' the rest of his days with a brain injury. Most people don't know about, or consider that result because those records are not kept. It would require following the life of an injured person for years or even decades. Sometimes these injuries/"falls" aren't bad enough to get the police/social media involved. The only people aware of this are the family/caregivers of the injured person.

In these helmet threads there are sometimes people posting that their head never hit the ground, and that is believable. Then there are some riders that died immediately, or soon, after their 'fall'. These are the riders that have their "bodies will be harvested for parts". There is a HUGE middle ground between these two extremes and it seems logical, figuring the odds, that most "falls" land in this 'in between' area.

You admit as much with "the death rates coincide accordingly". Sometimes an accident results in injuries, IMO, far worse then death. But those records aren't kept/reported. Not all head injury recipients are lucky enough to die immediately/soon, for some(most?) 'life' goes on. 'Death rates' don't tell the whole, or even the most important, part of the story. It is these 'in between' cases, IMO, that will have a greater response from society. We may miss the days when the most oppressive problem we have are helmet laws.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:52 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
You really don't have to condescend to me, I suspected that was the logic.
rjg883c, not sure how u saw anything I said was condescending since that was the furthest thing from my mind. So if u read anything like that in my post then I apologize. No intention to do that to you or anyone else.

At least, not the "new me" anyway.

Have a good one..........

BuzzCap7

Old 12-26-2016, 09:41 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 538 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
rjg883c, not sure how u saw anything I said was condescending since that was the furthest thing from my mind. So if u read anything like that in my post then I apologize. No intention to do that to you or anyone else.

At least, not the "new me" anyway.

Have a good one..........

BuzzCap7
My bad, no problem. I just think it's sad when anyone mentions death because it is so far down the list of possible bad results as to not merit consideration, IMO.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 08:09 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

As a LEO one of my first motorcycle crash fatalities involved a kid in his 20's hitting a car at slow speed in a town. He was on a sport bike and wearing a full face. When I arrived he was still wearing his helmet and walking around, apparently uninjured. Spoke to him briefly and he said he was okay. I made him sit on the curb while I checked on other driver. Paramedics were already on the way because it had been called in as an injury accident.

When I went back a couple minutes later the kid was laying down next to the curb, helmet still on, dead. Found out later he died of a massive brain bleed from crash. Helmet had a small mark on it but nothing else.

A crash can happen to any of us. You can wrap yourself up in the most expensive protective wear just invented, and the best helmet, but there are no guarantees. If you are more comfortable wearing a helmet and protective gear then wear it, if you don't want to wear it then don't. No one should be making that decision for you.

The following 3 users liked this post by ISP-FLHTK:
floridapoolboy (12-28-2016), JayStronghawk (01-14-2017), TriggerHappyFXDLS (05-06-2017)
Old 12-28-2016, 09:17 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Does it make sense to wear a helmet, sure. Should we be forced to do it, I don't think so. The issue to me is the six long months of temps in the mid 90s with matching humidity. It really is too damn hot for me to wear a helmet, but if you want to wear a full face and leathers that's your choice. I used to live in New Hampshire, the state motto is "Live Free Or Die"!

The following 2 users liked this post by floridapoolboy:
ISP-FLHTK (12-29-2016), SIDECAR BOB (05-11-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 01:03 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, I just got a response from Don Hahnfeldt.

Here is my comment to him:

"Please reject this law requiring motorcylists to wear helmets. Energy would be better spent with stricter laws regarding distracting driving such as texting while driving. Thanks for your time."

Here is Don Hahnfeldt's reply:

Dear motorcyclist,

I thought that a helmet option compromise was reasonable when dropping the universal helmet law in 2000. However, 16 years later, auto and highways safety has significantly improved, while motorcycle safety has been falling dramatically. The fact that 37 of every 100 lives lost by motorcyclists not wearing helmets is difficult to ignore.

Florida has become a national leader in motorcycle fatalities, costing hundreds of lives and $100M's in medical, attorney and court, and lost productivity, since making helmets an option in 2000, so it’s reasonable for us to reconsider the wisdom of this legislation.

Thanks also for taking the time to share your views.

Best regards, Don Hahnfeldt
Florida House of Representatives, District #33

Old 12-29-2016, 04:19 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

HDMickie is he your state rep? If not you should write to your own representative, not the one bringing the bill.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:48 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
HDMickie is he your state rep? If not you should write to your own representative, not the one bringing the bill.
Hi Lauren, maybe I should have paid more attention....I just contacted this guy because a previous poster suggested it. I'm a newbie in FL, I live in Hernando County so I'll try to find my rep. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2016, 07:35 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Freedom of Choice .. Always Backed it Always Will .. Have been to several Rally's where 50% at least were wearing Helmets but still backed the Right to Decide ..

Quick Reply: Are mandatory helmets in our future here in Florida