"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Motorcycle Insurance In Florida

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 12:12 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Don't forget what they say is nothing unless it's in writing. Then you have pages and pages of fine print and so on and so on........................man this is too confusing.

So who's going to Leesburg this week? lol If your going to have a good time, make sure you have good insurance ! lol

Old 04-22-2017, 07:07 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,335 Likes on 10,703 Posts

I am going!

Three other guys going with me. You?

BuzzCap7

Old 04-22-2017, 07:33 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Can't make Leesburg this week, but we are going to take our newest insurance policy out for a little spin so we are making final preps this week for leaving Sunday. Heading up through Kentucky, turning left, going to Oregon, turning right, up through Washington, turning right, cut through Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota (Trike Rally), and then fall back down into Florida. This retirement lifestyle sucks!

Old 04-22-2017, 12:59 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Reminds me of Bugs Bunny, I knew I should have turned right at Albuquerque!
:

Old 05-06-2017, 10:55 AM
TriggerHappyFXDLS
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have decent health coverage. I'll always carry uninsured motorist coverage. This state is full of distracted and uninsured motorists.

When I get hit, it's not going to be by the doctor in a brand new Mercedes. It's going to be the broke uninsured college kid delivering pizzas.

Getting fixed up isn't the only thing to consider here, especially if you end up leaving behind dependents.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

My input, someone runs over ya gonna be dead or a vegetable. I'd be more concerned with my life policy. I have full coverage, wife insists, and I understand her point of view especially if it's menial. Ya know, broke leg, arm, etc.. I will tell ya this, if I'm brain dead, or cant wipe me ****, please pull that plug.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:35 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

TFB I'm with you. I carry enough life and disability insurance that my wife and kids will be taken care of.

So much so that I have to watch the math to ensure I'm worth more alive than dead to her! LOL

Old 06-01-2017, 04:23 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Find Yourself Another Insurance Agent

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
I never actually understood the "uninsured motorist" and all the nonstacked business on my policy before.

If you have really good health care insurance and are carrying this on your expensive Harley policy you need to reconsider.
I still don't think you fully understand uninsured motorist coverage here in Florida!

Originally Posted by uklauren
I think it's worth having uninsured motorist in Fl. Too many uninsured and underinsured.
Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
I totally agree. But it all boils down to the medical. By taking off my "Uninsured Motorist/Nonstacked" from my policy I now am not covered for medical expenses if someone hits me and:
1. leaves the scene, or
2. does not have insurance and it is their fault, or
3. is underinsured and it is their fault.
But even though I dropped the "Uninsured Motorist/Nonstacked" my bike still gets fixed no matter who hits me, if they have insurance or not, or who's fault it is. It only effects the medical part of the equation.

Since I have good health care coverage that will kick in anyway, it certainly was not worth almost 50% more for motorcycle insurance each year. If you don't have health care, or extremely poor coverage, then I suppose you would have to consider paying $400 or $500 more on a policy for this. But even at that you are gambling that #1 you are probably going to get slammed into, and #2 when you get slammed into it won't be your fault, and #3 the idiot that slams into you will not have insurance for your medical.

Just wanted to make sure Florida riders understood that when you see "Uninsured Motorist" on your policy it has nothing to do with an uninsured person hitting you and your property not getting fixed. It is medical coverage for you when uninsured people hit you.
Most lawyers won't use uninsured motorist claims for medical expenses when their client has sufficient private medical coverage!

Stacked or Non Stacked has NOTHING to do with coverage other than your total amount you are insured for! While a lawyer can use uninsured motorist coverage to make claim against medical bills, most of the time a good lawyer will not collect against medical bills but will make claim against pain and suffering. When collecting against medical bills, your winnings AUTOMATICALLY get paid back as reimbursement to what your health insurance company pays out FIRST, not you!! When monies collected are collected for pain and suffering THEY GO DIRECTLY INTO YOU AND YOUR LAWYERS POCKETS, YOURS TAX FREE!!!

Old 06-02-2017, 10:04 AM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default uninsured / underinsured coverage

Originally Posted by Mother
This is the key here. Mentioned, but not fully explained...

In Florida, if you have STACKED uninsured motorist on your CAR, then it also covers you on your bike and you have no reason to also separately buy it for your bike.

I had a couple insurance agents explain this to me, and also a couple who didn't know what I was talking about, so I looked it up myself to confirm.
Mother is exactly correct.

The following users liked this post:
ISP-FLHTK (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:58 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
This is the key here. Mentioned, but not fully explained...

In Florida, if you have STACKED uninsured motorist on your CAR, then it also covers you on your bike and you have no reason to also separately buy it for your bike.

I had a couple insurance agents explain this to me, and also a couple who didn't know what I was talking about, so I looked it up myself to confirm.
From the time I initially posted on this subject, until recently, I talked to 3 insurance agents and read up as much as possible. The above is exactly correct, but most agents don't want you to know that because it must be more money in their pockets. So now I am paying $488 a year on my 2016 Harley, with no uninsured motorist coverage, but pay just a little extra on my auto policy for uninsured motorist. It carries over onto the Harley so overall on my annual policies I am still saving over $500.