"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Looking for shop recommendations in Citrus County.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Looking for shop recommendations in Citrus County.

We moved to Inverness in July, and my bike needs some work done to it. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop preferably on the East side of Citrus County?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:43 PM
fatmurse
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 92 Posts

I had a friend who swore by Viscious Cycles. I've never used them, couldn't even tell you where they are at. He swore by them. Caveat Emptor. Place across from the landfill on 44. No experience with them either but they've been there a long time. Guess I'm not any help

Old 09-20-2017, 08:59 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks. Looking at Google Vicious Cycles doesn't have too good of reviews, but there are only two reviews. Waynes in Floral City, and Iron Horse Parts in Inverness on SR 44 seem to have the most reviews, and the best. I'll give them both a call and see who feels right, and can fit me in.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Prime Rib
Elite HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm interested in your experience (when you pick one to do your work). I will be moving to the area in the near future. I have talked to Wayne before, but never had him do any work.
I've talked to a couple guys that said that Iron Horse Parts does good work. I know they do Dyno Tuning, and complete engine rebuilds.
I think the storefront Viscous Cycles was in was vacant when I drove by there on Rte 41 a number of months back.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:49 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

I guess I'm you guinea pig. Dropping the bike off at Waynes. Seems like a nice small shop. Labor rates between the two shops are about $10 apart. I got a hinky feeling from Iron Horse when "the son" answered the phone. Didn't seem to know much from anything, and i would be afraid if he were to wrench on the bike. Dad seemed better informed, but why chance it?

Old 09-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Prime Rib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by larsfum
I guess I'm you guinea pig. Dropping the bike off at Waynes. Seems like a nice small shop. Labor rates between the two shops are about $10 apart. I got a hinky feeling from Iron Horse when "the son" answered the phone. Didn't seem to know much from anything, and i would be afraid if he were to wrench on the bike. Dad seemed better informed, but why chance it?
I'm interested in what the hourly rates are at both places?
A good way to see what is available "Bike Wise" in Citrus county is to check out the monthly ScooterGoods magazine: http://www.scootergoods.com/
It lists Biker Friendly venues, bars, etc. Most Shops in the area advertise in it.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Prime Rib
Elite HDF Member

Any update on your experience at Wayne's? Hourly rate is how much?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:18 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

The bike is in. He has it diagnosed. I will update after I get it back.

The following users liked this post:
harleyrules (10-08-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 03:24 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

OK, so here's my take. I am not going to get into exactly what I paid, or what he charged for specific work, because that is a business transaction between he and I. I will also let you call and inquire about his labor rate, but it is extremely fair.

The front of shop is old school-ish, in a clean and modern take on it way. All wood decor and floors with a Scrambler in the window. There is a counter where Kitty answers the phones, and settles transactions. The back of the shop is all business. Clean in an organized, mechanic's way. Wayne knows his way around a bike, and makes suggestions as to what may need to be done, and how it can be done.

In my instance I had a noise coming from the cam chest that I didn't like, and suspected that the guy that did the cam upgrade may not have done something right. My bike has 40,000 miles on it on the original lifters, and that was gnawing on me. I asked Wayne to change the lifters, and inspect the cam chest.

He called the next day, and said that he didn't see anything wrong with the cam, but the breather gear was going out. He thought the noise could be coming from a sticky lifter. I agreed to have him swap out the breather gear with a reed valve, do the lifters, install adjustable push rods so he didn't have to tear down the rocker boxes. The air filter was on its last leg, and it was time for a fluid change.

He put about 8 hours labor into it. Pricing on the parts was mostly fair, understanding that he would mark them up. He installed a set of wires and new engine temp sensor that I had as well. Afterward, he showed me the parts that he replaced, and why they needed replacing, and took the time to explain why he replaced things with certain brand parts. The oil was Lucas 50wt, and he used a High Flow filter. He even showed me pictures of the cam chest before, and after showing proper assembly lubrication, and how he cleaned up the whole cavity.

All in all I was extremely happy with his work. Turn around was a bit slow,. but it looked like he was busy, and he is a one man shop. I probably could have gotten the work done cheaper out the door, but I don't know if I would feel as confident about it as I am with Wayne. Bottom line great work at a fair price.

The following users liked this post:
harleyrules (10-17-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Prime Rib
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the review of Wayne's. I'm glad you were able to get your bike fixed for a "fair price".

Quick Reply: Looking for shop recommendations in Citrus County.