"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Good rides in and around Florida during bike week

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by im
You are correct, the bridge is about 25-30 miles south of Clearwater.
It goes over Tampa Bay and is located in St Petersburg.
Rather neat experience if someone is within proximity.
First trip to Florida my GF and I were riding South on US 19 and we had just finished smoking a joint. This was 1981-82ish. The old bridge had been hit by a barge, and one side collapsed earlier in the year. They had all traffic routed to the remaining side. It was an old iron girder bridge. The view that we had going to the other side looking at the collapsed bridge definitely freaked us out.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:14 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by larsfum
Expect quite a bit of traffic getting to Clearwater Beach. The whole penninsula is now one megalopolis. If you ride to Clearwater beach get there before 9:00am. After that the traffic really builds up even with the relatively new bridge. Once you reach the circle to Clearwater Beach you can go right to the Palm Pavillion and have a cold brew with a great view of the Gulf. You can also go to Rockaways just to the South of Palm Pavillion. If you go left out of the circle stay to the right to ride along the beach. It will be slow, but the scenery should be fantastic (.)(.) that time of the year. Make sure you yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. The cops will be quick to ticket you if you don't. Stop in at Frenchy's for a great grouper sandwich.

Going from Daytona to the West coast you will travel from flat, to somewhat hilly, to forested. A direct way that doesn't involve the Interstate is SR 40. You can pick it up in Ormond Beach, and ride it all of the way to Ocala. Once outside of the Daytona/ Ormond area it gets rather straight, and will take you through the Ocala National Forest. Most of it is two lanes with stretches of three lanes where you can pass. I would bail out of it before reaching Ocala, as traffic can get heavy there. There are a lot of roads in the center of the state that you can enjoy. Pick one and see where it takes you.

If you do make your way over to Homosassa the Monkey Bar is an interesting stop, but monkey island is not much bigger than a small back yard. You may want to stop in at the Freezer off of Halls River Road. Nice destination, come by bike, boat, or car. Cold cheap beer, and great fresh shrimp. Bring dollars though, cash only. Stay off of US 19 south of Spring Hill if you can. It is the straightest shot, but traffic is a pain.
This is a pretty good description on clearwater beach. We live about 5 miles from it. Traffic is crazy right now.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:47 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raider Bill
This is a pretty good description on clearwater beach. We live about 5 miles from it. Traffic is crazy right now.
After 12 years in St. Pete for me, and 30 years for my wife we got out to Citrus county. Traffic, crime, and crazy low lifes ruined that area.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:56 PM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Expect quite a bit of traffic getting to Clearwater Beach. The whole penninsula is now one megalopolis. If you ride to Clearwater beach get there before 9:00am. After that the traffic really builds up even with the relatively new bridge. Once you reach the circle to Clearwater Beach you can go right to the Palm Pavillion and have a cold brew with a great view of the Gulf. You can also go to Rockaways just to the South of Palm Pavillion. If you go left out of the circle stay to the right to ride along the beach. It will be slow, but the scenery should be fantastic (.)(.) that time of the year. Make sure you yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. The cops will be quick to ticket you if you don't. Stop in at Frenchy's for a great grouper sandwich.

Going from Daytona to the West coast you will travel from flat, to somewhat hilly, to forested. A direct way that doesn't involve the Interstate is SR 40. You can pick it up in Ormond Beach, and ride it all of the way to Ocala. Once outside of the Daytona/ Ormond area it gets rather straight, and will take you through the Ocala National Forest. Most of it is two lanes with stretches of three lanes where you can pass. I would bail out of it before reaching Ocala, as traffic can get heavy there. There are a lot of roads in the center of the state that you can enjoy. Pick one and see where it takes you.

If you do make your way over to Homosassa the Monkey Bar is an interesting stop, but monkey island is not much bigger than a small back yard. You may want to stop in at the Freezer off of Halls River Road. Nice destination, come by bike, boat, or car. Cold cheap beer, and great fresh shrimp. Bring dollars though, cash only. Stay off of US 19 south of Spring Hill if you can. It is the straightest shot, but traffic is a pain.
This is great info as well! Thank you!

Old 02-01-2018, 07:57 PM
mshred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
If you're staying in St Augustine, try the River & Sea Ride. Find 207 out of town near the Showboat Car Wash on US1, go 15 miles & turn right on to Rte 13 north along the St Johns River. Around 20 miles up that scenic road, turn right on to 16 back toward town, go 2-3 miles, then turn left on International Golf Pkwy to US1 north. Go 5-6 miles & turn right at at the big Gate Gas Station to 210 east to A1A So back to St Augustine. Plenty of places to eat along the way, especially on A1A. Good bars & restaurants in downtown St Augustine.

Have fun. Ride Safe.
You guys are great, I love the detail! It sounds like a nice ride, I have to figure out how to remember all of that....man am I pumped! lol

Old 02-01-2018, 08:02 PM
mshred
Road Captain

After 12 years in St. Pete for me, and 30 years for my wife we got out to Citrus county. Traffic, crime, and crazy low lifes ruined that area.
I am thinking while we are there it is something to experience, especially considering it is also Spring Break. You only live once, right? Im 28 so this stuff is still a good idea to me lol

Last edited by mshred; 02-01-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:53 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mshred
I am thinking while we are there it is something to experience, especially considering it is also Spring Break. You only live once, right? Im 28 so this stuff is still a good idea to me lol
It's definitely a nice place to visit. If you are there during the week go to Quaker Steak and Lube on Wednesday night for bike night.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are staying on the east coast. Do the Loop in Ormond, Hidden Treasures in New Smyrna has great food. Go to Port Canaveral and hit Milikens early (9 - 10 am) on Sunday for a great bloody mary or Fish Lips any day and get the hog wings. If you are at Port Canaveral late afternoon (after 4) you can watch the cruise ships leave. Pineapple Point in Cocoa Beach has very good wings. Make your way to Sebastian and stop at Capt Hirams. I hear Earls Hideaway is good too.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:57 PM
mshred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hades02
If you are staying on the east coast. Do the Loop in Ormond, Hidden Treasures in New Smyrna has great food. Go to Port Canaveral and hit Milikens early (9 - 10 am) on Sunday for a great bloody mary or Fish Lips any day and get the hog wings. If you are at Port Canaveral late afternoon (after 4) you can watch the cruise ships leave. Pineapple Point in Cocoa Beach has very good wings. Make your way to Sebastian and stop at Capt Hirams. I hear Earls Hideaway is good too.
Thanks! Gonna share some of these ideas with the crew and we will plan it out. I'll let you guys know where we end up and how we liked it 👍

Old 02-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Chrissy76
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The skyway is actually goes through three counties Manatee, Hillsborough and Pinellas (They all own a piece of the bridge)....just thought I would share. We just rode over it last weekend.

We are planning a 5 bridge run with our group here in the next month. Courtney Cambell, Bay Side Bridge, Howard Franklin, Gandy, and Skyway.

The following users liked this post:
Nokkon Wud (02-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Good rides in and around Florida during bike week