"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Flagler/North of Daytona area: Bulow Plantation Ruins Historic State Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts
Default Flagler/North of Daytona area: Bulow Plantation Ruins Historic State Park

Some information please.
Bulow Plantation Ruins Historic State Park
Located about 8 to 12 miles northeast of Destination Daytona depending on roads taken.
The maps seem unclear to me.
Looks like you could take Old Dixie Hwy to Old Kings Road.
Seems like access is only from Old Kings Road, then east on a small Bulow blvd but then information is unclear and looks like ruins might be a dirt road on south side of Bulow Blvd.
Specifically thinking about seeing the sugar mill ruins.
If it is a dirt road, how are the conditions and for what length?
Is there a loop road or is it a ride in, park the bike and hike for 5 to 10 minutes to see ruins?
For $4 or $5 thinking it might be a nice quiet stop to explore for 30-45 minutes when in that area & maybe bring a sandwich for a break.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Hmmm. I ride that area a lot, but never paid much attention to Bulow Plantation Ruins.
I do know that Bulow Blvd goes along the side of a large campground. I've never noticed a road going south off it. Continuing up Bulow Blvd will bring you to a locked gate where you need a code to get in to a manufactured home community. The name of the street changes there too. Maybe you can park at the campground & walk a trail in. Bulow Plantation State Park is fairly large & much of the "Ormond Loop" passes along it, but the "Ruins" are at the northern part like you stated. One exit north of Destination Daytona on I-95 is Old Dixie Hwy. Turn right and Old Kings Rd will be on your left across from Halifax Plantation.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 312 Likes on 302 Posts

The turn for the ruins is a dirt path off of Old Kings Road. As I remember it would be a Park n hike. Just not sure how far the hike would be. There are some pictures on Floridastatespark.org!

Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you for information.
I looked at google maps again with zoom and i can now see name change of road on Bulow BLvd.
I went and looked at some pictures as suggested and youtube also.
Looks like it goes into a narrow dirt road as mentioned.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

We always used to camp at Bulows campground for bike week. Always a good time.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:30 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

that road should not be an issue. you pay the 5 bucks and park then walk 100 yards or so to sugar mill ruins.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:18 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

i read the thread title and wondered how the Bulow Plantation could ruin a state park .

hahahah
thanks for clearing that up for me

The following users liked this post:
Pawnmonkey (03-27-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:20 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wilburz
that road should not be an issue. you pay the 5 bucks and park then walk 100 yards or so to sugar mill ruins.
Thank you.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:13 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Update: The Bulow Plantation Ruins. To be clear: The ruins are an off road experience.
This is not the big park but instead the ruins.
Access is ONLY available from Old Kings Road for the sugar mill ruins.
There is one sign on Old Kings Road.
The entrance is a single lane loose sand road, it is the only access and vehicles are required to share that single lane sand road for both directions.
The single lane sand road is suppose to give you the experience of how things were in the past.
That single lane sand road is NOT hard packed sand and runs about 3/4 of a mile to the entrance fee honor box (put $4 dollars in an envelope and keep stub before inserting in mail drop). The $4 covers the vehicle.
Again, it is about 3/4 of a mile on a loose sand road to reach the fee box.
Forgot to mention, as an additional challenge...a big white tail deer jumped across the road as i concentrated on keeping control of the bike at about 5-10 mph on that single lane loose sand road that was 3/4 of a mile long...
After the fee box there is a screen building and some out door tables, no need to stop or park..No vendors observed...you can stop to see the creek water if you want.
Then it is an additional one way 0.25 miles on a single lane sand loop road to the sugar plantation ruins...this loop had sand that was much more hard packed and there was no deer encounter.
You can see the ruins clearly and can park your bike about 100 yards from ruins.
The bike is visible most of the time when walking around the ruins.
The ruins themselves have very good signage and are rather neat to see.
There are a few benches if you want to just sit next to the ruins, look and think about how this thing must have been a long time ago.
About 50-75 yards away there is an outdoor pavilion display behind glass, some ruin items to view with some clean well hidden bathrooms... at what i guess would be the west side of building...doors of single person bathrooms face woods.
When finished with viewing ruins and small pavilion, get on bike and continue with the loop road for about 0.25 miles to the same long road that you took coming into the park.
Then repeat the 3/4 mile single lane sand road to get out.
Remember the 3/4 mile single lane is bi-directional/shared..i did encounter a vehicle on the way out that was kind enough to slide over to let me past.
The sand was very loose and you must remain in the tire track portion left by other vehicles.
You must be in low gear and maintain a steady speed or you can easily have a loss of control.
Concentration will be required and if you have a passenger then it is important they stay still and stiffen-up..
I enjoyed the stop, but access is a challenge for motorcycles due to no pavement at any time.
The possibility of dumping the bike on the entrance road can be high.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:21 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

glad u enjoyed it! at least you did not have a wild boar hog ram into to you on that nasty road sir. last time i was there i had a ranger up my wazoo making sure i paid my 4 bucks.