"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Toxic Lake

Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Toxic Lake

Grab your favorite adult beverage and take a look at this video. Its about 10 min. The problem is real, the solutions complicated, but the impact is devastating to wildlife and home owners. Video does a good job explaining whats going on. Thanks for watching.

The following users liked this post:
J F GO (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 12:39 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,227 Likes on 11,134 Posts

Very sad. I’m not an environmental hippy. But, I do believe that man needs to preserve the environment. As many of our nation’s environmental issues, massive mismanagement has ruined some of our greatest resources. Very sad. And as the OP said, the solutions are complex and expensive. But, with dedication and prioritization of investment, it can be addressed...just as we have been able to bring life back to the Great Lakes, this too can be resolved.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:47 PM
fegod
Cruiser

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Great video!! Going back down to the Cape this weekend hoping it doesn't smell like a manure farm as I pull into the Paradise Tiki like it did two weeks ago.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:12 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

It's sad our politicians have caved into, and sided with, big business. It's also sad that man destroys the environment bit by bit ignoring the inevitable fallout.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:13 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Partial truths in that video. No matter what I write here minds will not be changed. The political machine is running stronger than ever right now. Lived on Lake Okeechobee all my life. Fished many times recently. Fishing is great right now. My summation of the whole thing is this. There is a problem and it is getting worse. The problem is people. It can not be blamed on Lake O alone. The closer that the water gets to the coasts the more polluted it is. Run off from septic systems in the City of Canals continue to contribute. No one in the news tells you that the effluent from all 3 City of Fort Myers waste water treatment plants dumps directly in to the river. I will say it again and will not respond to this thread any more. The problem is too many people here.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:14 PM
packmen21
Banned
Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Very sad. I’m not an environmental hippy. But, I do believe that man needs to preserve the environment. As many of our nation’s environmental issues, massive mismanagement has ruined some of our greatest resources. Very sad. And as the OP said, the solutions are complex and expensive. But, with dedication and prioritization of investment, it can be addressed...just as we have been able to bring life back to the Great Lakes, this too can be resolved.
+1

Old 08-16-2018, 05:00 AM
fegod
Cruiser

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MJ
Partial truths in that video. No matter what I write here minds will not be changed. The political machine is running stronger than ever right now. Lived on Lake Okeechobee all my life. Fished many times recently. Fishing is great right now. My summation of the whole thing is this. There is a problem and it is getting worse. The problem is people. It can not be blamed on Lake O alone. The closer that the water gets to the coasts the more polluted it is. Run off from septic systems in the City of Canals continue to contribute. No one in the news tells you that the effluent from all 3 City of Fort Myers waste water treatment plants dumps directly in to the river. I will say it again and will not respond to this thread any more. The problem is too many people here.
This is very true and the main point of the video was not to blame the lake (which by the way I love fishing there), but the expanse of canals and dikes that were built for agriculture and suburban expansion. Way too many people moving south (especially in the winter months). The roads from central Florida south have become death traps, and the ever expanding construction is ripping up the wetlands that used to filter the water. This is not just a "Florida" issue but a global issue. Sorry, a little cranky before I get my coffee.

Search this Thread