Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   "The Florida Crew" (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-florida-crew-127/)
-   -   Learning my way around! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-florida-crew/1256460-learning-my-way-around.html)

FrankEV 10-06-2018 04:40 PM

Learning my way around!

Being fairly new to Florida and located here in Ormond Beach which is very close to the Atlantic, when we want to ride I only have 3 choices: North, South and West. We have some nice area roads that go North and South which we have explored quite exstensibly. However, if I want to find some new senery it is, as once was said, "Go West young man"!

So today my S.O. and I headed to Taveres for lunch. This was new territory in my quest to learn my way around Central Florida. We took mostly main roads out and back today doing only about 60+ miles each way, but I saw a lot of potential for some more exploritory routes out "that a way" that I will have to check out sometime soon. Anyone care to offer some routes to check out, please don't hesitate to share.

We passed quite a few group rides that were going the other way. I guess the in-landers want to head over to the coast...LOL.

We enjoyed a light Lunch at Puddle Jummpers on the edge of Lake Dora, found an Ice Cream shop to get some cones to top off lunch, walked around some visiting the Taveres Train Station and then watched some seaplanes take off and land.

The sky was full of those high white (OK, some were a little dark) fluffy clouds but no rain, so it just cooled it down a tad to make the ride that more enjoyable.

Just a great Saturday for a ride...I'm guesing some of you did something similar today. Kinda what it is all about, isn't it?

Hey Man 10-08-2018 03:08 PM

Enjoy. The best time for riding in Florida is upon us.

JayStronghawk 10-09-2018 02:17 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...836f6e1026.jpg
If ever feel like venturing a bit farther North would be glad to show you around Olustee Battlefield , the only major battle fought in Florida during the Civil War they reenact it every February but is open to the public Year Round ..

Redfish911 10-09-2018 01:09 PM

My GG grandfather's unit fought in that battle. I'm not sure he was there during the fighting but his 4th Georgia Cavalry was.

JayStronghawk 10-10-2018 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Redfish911 (Post 17744610)
My GG grandfather's unit fought in that battle. I'm not sure he was there during the fighting but his 4th Georgia Cavalry was.

Remember reading about several GA units being there , good thing because even with them were still outnumbered but still managed to Stop the Union from reaching Tallahassee as they planned ..

Redfish911 10-10-2018 08:10 AM

Native

Jay (Native)

I'm 5th Gen Floridian. I had ancestors in Lake City when it was known as Alligator. 2nd Indian wars.

themensh 10-10-2018 09:49 PM

Olustee battlefied...a bunch of pine trees with a loop trail.....but I can say I WALKED it. A good ride there....make it a destination.....and say you DID IT.

JayStronghawk 10-11-2018 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by themensh (Post 17748135)
Olustee Battlefied...a bunch of pine trees with a loop trail.....but I can say I WALKED it. A good ride there....make it a destination.....and say you DID IT.

True on the trail but the Guns and Memorials are interesting to most , as well as the small Museum which has added a Video Room explaining it better than used to be there ..

JayStronghawk 10-11-2018 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Redfish911 (Post 17746449)
Jay (Native)

I'm 5th Gen Floridian. I had ancestors in Lake City when it was known as Alligator. 2nd Indian wars.

True on Lake City being called Alligator originally, I was born in Tampa and trace back to Thomas P Kennedy in 1850's who owned the First Trading Post in Tampa and was on good terms with Seminole Chief Billy Bowlegs ..

Hey Man 10-11-2018 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by themensh (Post 17748135)
Olustee battlefied...a bunch of pine trees with a loop trail.....but I can say I WALKED it. A good ride there....make it a destination.....and say you DID IT.

But would I get a patch if I don't go all the way around?

Oh come on. That's my first cross post ever.