"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Thinking of doing an Iron Butt run

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,783 Likes on 18,559 Posts

Originally Posted by kered
I will definitely go! I'm thinking of doing my first one solo and then trying to officially organize one on here.

I'm a smaller guy and have always ridden smaller lighter bikes. I've sat on plenty of touring bikes and being short i just feel it's tough to handle the weight. My dad (MJ on here) has an Indian Chieftan and when I sit on it I can't reach the kickstand to put it up haha!

I will definitely make a thread on here about my ride when I do it.

Were yours done in Florida? What routes did you take?
Gotta believe that organizing a group ride would be the easy part ... Pulling it off quite another .... Different riders, different styles, different kidneys ... Keeping a group together on the road can be a nightmare ... Not trying to be a "killjoy"

Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by kered
I will definitely go! I'm thinking of doing my first one solo and then trying to officially organize one on here.

I'm a smaller guy and have always ridden smaller lighter bikes. I've sat on plenty of touring bikes and being short i just feel it's tough to handle the weight. My dad (MJ on here) has an Indian Chieftan and when I sit on it I can't reach the kickstand to put it up haha!

I will definitely make a thread on here about my ride when I do it.

Were yours done in Florida? What routes did you take?
kered, how long is your "inseam"? I am only 29" long. Also short via the person.

My 1st SS was UP I-95 (from palm beach county) and back down on the TURNPIKE. Started at 1 gas station and ended at a totally different one. Both I know were open at the times I will be there. This way your paperwork is easy and with different witnesses.

You want to stay on the highway to make better times. Not side streets that can slow you down.
My 2nd one was similar (I do not recall the route).
And several others I did happened to be when I was traveling around the USA or through Canada but in Canada, it was in west Alberta (?) and Manitoba area where it is long, straight, and flat.
Only the 1st one was documented.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Gotta believe that organizing a group ride would be the easy part ... Pulling it off quite another .... Different riders, different styles, different kidneys ... Keeping a group together on the road can be a nightmare ... Not trying to be a "killjoy"
kered, Uncle Larry above NAILED IT PERFECTLY!! Please heed his advice. Uncle Larry knows what he is talking about.

As you seem to be headed solo for your 1st SS, good. If u want to go in a group, there is a fair amount you need to know before KSU. (KSU = Kick Stands Up.) Group riding for an IBA ride is a lot more involved than it appears as Uncle Larry is most accurately sharing with you. At 1st, it is kissy, kiss, I love you, I love you, let's all go together and have fun. Well, it is definitely not like that.

BuzzCap7

Old 11-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I've done it a couiple of times years ago. Once alone and once with two other riders. Not the most enjoyable rides I've ever taken

Old 11-12-2018, 11:15 AM
kered
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'm 29 inseam.
This is the route I'm looking at taking. 95 to Jacksonville 295 then US 23 to Waycross Georgia. Then US 84 over to 75 in Valdosta. 75 all the way down to 41 south of Alligator Ally back over to 95. Just a touch over 1000 and Google says 15 hours

Old 11-12-2018, 12:39 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

It sounds like u will be moving ALL the time pretty much. No extenuated 45 mph roads and all highways.

You need to make it longer than "just" over 1,000 miles. Reason being, IBA (rightfully so) takes reviewing your paperwork seriously. IF u use google maps and they use MapQuest (or something else) and find you are at 999 miles, you will be denied the award and recognition. I would suggest running at least 15 preferably 20 miles over the 1,000 mile mark. Hey, u just did 1,000 miles, what is another 20 right? For assurance.

Now, factor in 20 minute stops. Now how much time are you up to? Make sense?

Also, take into consideration my friend, the day and time you are traveling those roads. You want to ideally pick the day and time the roads will be the quietest. Preferably not when it is dark our for safety reasons. For the 1,000 mile SS, there is no need to ride midnight to 6AM (thos those hours are GREAT GREAT GREAT on a bike).

You can knock off the SS by KSUing at 7AM and ending around 11PM or midnight. (Adjust as necessary.)

Be careful of holiday traffic.

It sounds like you are putting together a GOOD plan.

Be careful/GOOD with your paperwork. Remember to get the IBA rules and follow them. Get and SAVE your receipts. <-- This is a common error. Your ride off forgetting to get a receipt. The rules may have changed on this matter.....do not go by me. Just follow the rules.

All of the above make sense?

BuzzCap7

Old 11-12-2018, 04:22 PM
kered
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I'm thinking of leaving around 4 or 5 AM. That should put me home around 8 or 9 p.m.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I think you might make better time and experience way less traffic if you did most of the riding at night. I'm just sayin'.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:48 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Leave around 10 or 11 AM. Ride ten hours or so and get a hotel room for 6 or 7 hours of rest, then finish it. You will have time to rest and you will not be wore out. You do not have to do it all in one trip as long as it is finished within 24 hours from the beginning.
Another tip is get a cup holder on your bike. You can stay hydrated while riding. Most stops will be for gas and pee, and buying more bottles of water, without wasting time drinking at those stops.
Another tip. avoid alcohol or any recreational drug for several days before your ride.
Carry jerky with you that you can reach while riding. Not the slimjim type but rather the large bags like the one that uses sasquatch in its ads. You will be able to have some food while riding. While riding eat lots of protein preferably beef. It takes longer to digest and you wont feel as hungry.
Take one Immodium AD after your morning dump before you start your ride. Then follow package directions for subsequent doses so you won't have an "issue" on your ride. Bad food on a trip can stop that trip pretty fast. You must stay hydrated or else you will get, um....you will um....feel as if you'd been raped the next time you take a dum....have a bowel movement. Thats why you need a cupholder to hold bottled water.
Remember this. The number one mistake is......

Old 11-15-2018, 01:51 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The miles from your home to your first gas stop does not count. The miles from your last gas stop to your home does not count either. Get the signature of the person working the store where you get gas. Just explain to them and show them some documents relating to you ride. They will be happy to help....well, most will.
Your receipt must show the address and time, and date. actually every gas receipt must have all of this info.
One last thing. Carry "personal" wipes. if you need to have a bowel movement, they will clean that spot so you won't get monkey butt!

Last edited by Thundermug; 11-15-2018 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:02 AM
craftkr
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
Leave around 10 or 11 AM. Ride ten hours or so and get a hotel room for 6 or 7 hours of rest, then finish it. You will have time to rest and you will not be wore out. You do not have to do it all in one trip as long as it is finished within 24 hours from the beginning.
Another tip is get a cup holder on your bike. You can stay hydrated while riding. Most stops will be for gas and pee, and buying more bottles of water, without wasting time drinking at those stops.
Another tip. avoid alcohol or any recreational drug for several days before your ride.
Carry jerky with you that you can reach while riding. Not the slimjim type but rather the large bags like the one that uses sasquatch in its ads. You will be able to have some food while riding. While riding eat lots of protein preferably beef. It takes longer to digest and you wont feel as hungry.
Take one Immodium AD after your morning dump before you start your ride. Then follow package directions for subsequent doses so you won't have an "issue" on your ride. Bad food on a trip can stop that trip pretty fast. You must stay hydrated or else you will get, um....you will um....feel as if you'd been raped the next time you take a dum....have a bowel movement. Thats why you need a cupholder to hold bottled water.
Remember this. The number one mistake is......
Good points here, try to avoid coffee or meals while doing this... water and snacks. Poop breaks eat up time, and you never know the quality of facilities you will have along the way. I like the idea of starting and getting a room for a few hours for rest or pit stop. LOL

I've done the mileage but never documented it etc. but I would like to do one legit. When I did these type rides before I had a BMW GS 1200 and it was pretty comfortable. If doing this with multiple riders it's good to discuss and plan this prior to. Set expectations on speeds, route, stop intervals, timing etc. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Last edited by craftkr; 11-15-2018 at 02:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of doing an Iron Butt run